You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Learning new skills

1892-LFCWasBorn

Thought I'd start this thread so see what everyone is up to with this free time (for those not working of course) and to give others some ideas of what do look into.

Might as well make use of this time to learn new skills or brush up/improve existing skills.

What's everyone doing?

I'm learning how to build a website, SQL, online opportunities (digital marketing etc).

Loads of free courses on https://www.udemy.com or shitloads of tutorials on YouTube/other sites.

Source for free Udemy courses:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/udemy.com

Plenty of other sites that have Udemy vouchers if you Google it.

I'm spending my time learning how to farm worms.  Need to make sure we've a ready source of protein in these end of times!

How you finding udemy?  Their courses were very inconsistent quality wise when I tried them a couple of years ago.  Coursera has higher quality but narrowly focused courses for anyone looking around.  And of course the torrent sites have all sorts.

BTW Dont' web/database technologies completely change more quickly than you finish the courses?  That's what I found anyways :)

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

How you finding udemy?  Their courses were very inconsistent quality wise when I tried them a couple of years ago.  Coursera has higher quality but narrowly focused courses for anyone looking around.  And of course the torrent sites have all sorts.

BTW Dont' web/database technologies completely change more quickly than you finish the courses?  That's what I found anyways :)

Only started today. Yesterday's announcement that lockdown is likely to go for beyond June has kicked me into action.

Yes it's great bumming around, but better of using this time to learn things that I've never had the time to explore.

Even looking into Cryptocurrency, again something I've never had the time to explore.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think I'm going to hammer the Duolingo and try to learn a language. 

https://www.rosettastone.co.uk/lp/freeforkids/?cid=af-cj-yy-7988612&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=3743973&CJEVENT=78304065727d11ea81d002740a180514

This is an alternative. Rosetta Stone free for 3 months, but you have to choose the language on the first page. Can then log on with the app and learn. Can always go back to Duolingo afterwards as that's free.

42 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.rosettastone.co.uk/lp/freeforkids/?cid=af-cj-yy-7988612&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=cj&utm_campaign=3743973&CJEVENT=78304065727d11ea81d002740a180514

This is an alternative. Rosetta Stone free for 3 months, but you have to choose the language on the first page. Can then log on with the app and learn. Can always go back to Duolingo afterwards as that's free.

40 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Use a website called italki.

One to one tuition with native speakers at a fraction of the price you’d pay for private tuition in the UK.

Cheers, I'll have a look at these. 

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Noticed an article on The Guardian explaining the basics of doing cryptic crosswords which have always been beyond me despite being good at general and general knowledge versions.

Also just started Carvalho Diablos new book that he has put on Kindle

Find a cryptic crossword site that you like (eg the Guardian) and try to fill in as many answers as you can. When you get the solution, try to work out how the answer fits the clue. It takes a while (it took me ages to answer more than a few at first) but it's great fun. The feeling of success when you complete one for the first time  is immense.

Stick to one  paper until you get used to them. I would suggest the Guardian, their guide is good for their crossword but not necessarily for another paper.

I learnt on the Sydney Morning Herald in Australia ( but the bastards don't put it online) and I used to do it in 10 to 15 minutes most days but I had to start again from scratch just about learning the Guardian one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Only started today. Yesterday's announcement that lockdown is likely to go for beyond June has kicked me into action.

Yes it's great bumming around, but better of using this time to learn things that I've never had the time to explore.

Even looking into Cryptocurrency, again something I've never had the time to explore.

Now is not the time to get into crypto. It’s up and down, mostly down, more often than Tony’s ma’s knickers. 

• Upvote 1

Working because as per normal our company and the government have decided to use every fucking loophole to fuck us over. 

Government- Your extremely vulnerable stay home for 3 months. 

Work - You can but we won't pay you and your a key worker so need to come in. 

So stay home unpaid for 3 us months. Or risk coming to work. 

I'm reading and painting miniatures mostly. Also playing games and listening to audio books 

Reading this

Screenshot_20200330_172201_com.twitter.android.jpg

• Upvote 1