You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Funniest US Sitcom Ever - Semi-Finals - Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia vs Cheers

Bjornebye

Funniest US Sitcom Ever - Semi-Finals  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Funniest US Sitcom Ever - Semi-Finals

• Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    • Cheers

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

No, it doesn't.

Yes. It does.

*shrug*

EDIT: Oh, you're being pedantic about laughter that's added later that's recorded elsewhere vs recorded from the audience. I honestly don't care about that difference. Any laughter track is fucking wank. 

No, I'm being pendantic about exactly what the Cheers writer explains: it was filmed in front of an audience, whose laughter you hear, but the laughter track (recorded from the show itself) was used for effective editing purposes.

I prefer no laughter. But there's a difference between what they did on Cheers and canned laughter...

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

No, I'm being pendantic about exactly what the Cheers writer explains: it was filmed in front of an audience, whose laughter you hear, but the laughter track (recorded from the show itself) was used for effective editing purposes.

I prefer no laughter. But there's a difference between what they did on Cheers and canned laughter...

Well, you replied to my post saying it uses a laughter track, which your own link makes clear it does, with ‘no it doesn’t’. So, ya know. 

You're right, there’s a distinction between canned laughter and a laughter track. There’s just very little distinction in that difference. They didn’t say how it was used, just where it was recorded. Either way, it sounds shit and ruins a show for me. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, you replied to my post saying it uses a laughter track, which your own link makes clear it does, with ‘no it doesn’t’. So, ya know. 

You're right, there’s a distinction between canned laughter and a laughter track. There’s just very little distinction in that difference. They didn’t say how it was used, just where it was recorded. Either way, it sounds shit and ruins a show for me. 

You might need to re-read my comment and the linked article in full. There's no such contradiction.

But if you've convinced yourself that you're listening to a laugh track whenever you watch Cheers, that's a shame...

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

You might need to re-read my comment and the linked article in full. There's no such contradiction.

But if you've convinced yourself that you're listening to a laugh track whenever you watch Cheers, that's a shame...

It clearly says that there is a track that has been recorded from the audience. That’s a laughter track. Not really sure I can help anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It clearly says that there is a track that has been recorded from the audience. That’s a laughter track. Not really sure I can help anymore. 

It initially says that the laughter you hear is the laughter of the audience seeing what you see. Before qualifying that, noting what is introduced for editorial purposes.

In my terms, disagreeing with your original claim: No it doesn't. Not really, anyway.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It wouldn't be a very funny show if there was no laughter from a live audience now would it.

It’s not the live audience picked up by the mics, gain doesn’t work like that. They overlay recorded laughs. Which is wank. Surely nobody actually likes this anymore? 

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

It’s not the live audience picked up by the mics, gain doesn’t work like that. They overlay recorded laughs. Which is wank. Surely nobody actually likes this anymore? 

Last time I said laugh track was obligatory for almost all multi camera sitcoms, it has been seen as old fashioned or antiquated since sometime around Curb, when single camera comedies began.  You would have to dismiss 40 years of great TV comedy if you dismiss all shows with recorded laughter. Also, single camera and multi camera are almost two different TV genres, multi camera sitcoms were filmed on two or three standard sets, so they can be filmed in front of a studio audience. It's almost a different type of humour, because actors could often hear audience reactions and play to them. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Last time I said laugh track was obligatory for almost all multi camera sitcoms, it has been seen as old fashioned or antiquated since sometime around Curb, when single camera comedies began.  You would have to dismiss 40 years of great TV comedy if you dismiss all shows with recorded laughter. Also, single camera and multi camera are almost two different TV genres, multi camera sitcoms were filmed on two or three standard sets, so they can be filmed in front of a studio audience. It's almost a different type of humour, because actors could often hear audience reactions and play to them. 

I don’t think it’s obligatory. I think they can and are made without it. I take the point about history of TV, but I can no longer watch it. Even some of the greats. It’s about being told ‘this is funny’ and ‘laugh now’. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t think it’s obligatory. I think they can and are made without it. I take the point about history of TV, but I can no longer watch it. Even some of the greats. It’s about being told ‘this is funny’ and ‘laugh now’. 

It's also about different type of humour. Single camera shows typically don't "force" funny lines every 10 seconds, since they don't need to play to audience laughing, therefore you write differently for them.

That is interesting with having been told what is funny, do you watch John Oliver for example, or talk-shows? They have studio audience, when Oliver did his last show without laughter, many jokes felt kind of flat, since we are used to hearing others laughing at them.  

I agree on canned laughter though, when you can hear they are just switching the same laughter on at every other line, it's irritating. But on some shows like Married With Children, you can clearly hear people shouting at Al Bundy and see actors waiting for the excited audience to settle down, like they would on stage.

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think you're reading too much into it. 

25 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, gain would be at the mixing board.

Not sure you read what was posted - there certainly is the live audience picked up by mics.

They then used their live audience recording in additional spots.