You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Insects and Bugs etc

Bjornebye

I think drones hibernate, but unlikely to be a queen. There are solitary bees as well, so might be some of them. Check your loft space, and lookup a nearby beekeeper. They'll probably take them out for free if you do have a nest of some kind.

Bees are ace, don't kill bees. If you find any dopey ones over summer give them a flower head or a little sugar dissolved in water and they'll soon perk up and fuck off on their own accord.

Speaking of bees: 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think drones hibernate, but unlikely to be a queen. There are solitary bees as well, so might be some of them. Check your loft space, and lookup a nearby beekeeper. They'll probably take them out for free if you do have a nest of some kind.

Bees are ace, don't kill bees. If you find any dopey ones over summer give them a flower head or a little sugar dissolved in water and they'll soon perk up and fuck off on their own accord.

Speaking of bees: 

Yeah I’m not gonna kill them. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I try not to kill things but make an exception for wasps nests becuase we’ve got boys who play 3 hours of football in the garden every night. This is why my garden looks like Chernobyl. 

I’ve got bees not wasps mate but yeah understandable. Wasps are cunts 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Had a big wasp nest in the garage last year. Tried all sort of over the counter pesticide stuff to no avail so got some proper serious shit off the internet from the US. Made my fingers tingle if you got a tiny bit of the powder on your hands. Wiped the fuckers out and no sign of them daring to return this year. I am God, a vengeful angry Old Testament god. 

Wasps tend to not come back to the same nest so you should be ok  .

• 1 year later...