You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Frank Zappa

17 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Be careful what you ask for. 

Who is Val Doonican? I've heard of Van Morrison. 

Van Morrison recorded this vocal track for Frank Zappa, never released officially at the time though due to contractual issues. I think Zappa was in the next studio, asked him on the off chance if he fancied it & to everyone's surprise he agreed.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I know a bloke down the pub called a Val Doonican then. 

Does he sit in a chair with jumper on? Hope he doesn't sing that infernal song, don't know what it's called but there's a line in it that goes " No they never more" or something then you stamp your feet. 

30 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, the Roxy & Elsewhere LP & Roxy movie (from the same series of gigs in 1973) are widely considered to be his best band.

Sound. I don't really play music much anymore except when I've had a bevvy, get home and have a smoke, and that's on my phone / tablet then fall asleep, haven't played a CD for years I just cant be arsed like I used to, I'll have to sort that Spotify out or something. 

Couldn't tell you a single song of his but as soon as I saw the thread title it reminded me of Vilnius; the capital of Lithuania. 

One of their main tourist attractions is a statue of Zappa in a car park in a residential area of the city. Lithuania has fuck all to do with Zappa and vice versa, so the statue says a lot about both Lithuania and Zappa, at least to me it does, mad as a bag of spanners.

1585260709270.jpg

34 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Playing this on Spotify now, hard to believe it's all live. Great stuff.

That band was so amazing, I like to think they were rehearsed to breaking point, otherwise they were not human.

The Bob Dylan impersonator half way through this song always made me smile.

As did the lyric "well my toilet went crazy yesterday afternoon, the plumber he said never flush a tampoon, this great information cost me half a weeks pay and the toilet blew up later on the same day"

Hats off to Shooter for this thread. I'd long forgotten about Zappa the mad bastard. Im now going to spend the morn trolling through my old Frank records. He offended everyone on earth but was fucking boss.

This next one should be in the tunes that are fucking ace thread.

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Hats off to Shooter for this thread. I'd long forgotten about Zappa the mad bastard. Im now going to spend the morn trolling through my old Frank records. He offended everyone on earth but was fucking boss.

This next one should be in the tunes that are fucking ace thread.

Takes me back that.