You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Frank Zappa

I knew very little about him yesterday. A few studies and listens to his music got me pondering:

Why hasn't this guy got his own thread?

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995

Lifetime Achievement Award Grammy in 1997

#71 in Rolling Stone's Top 100 Artists of all time in 2004

#22 in Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists of all time in 2011

And most significantly of all in the world of cool names turning out to be stage names, he was born Frank Vincent Zappa!

65452633.jpg

C190ND1cVFS._SL1000_.png

1023.jpg

Frank-Zappa.jpg

71wkur8qjil.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT715sfKg7uhYHz5c-4Oh3

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Genius.

He is, oddly enough i only heard a fraction of his stuff years ago, the only album I had was Joe's Garage yet I could name quite a few of his tracks without remembering how they sounded so a revisit is on the cards. 

Apparently he was very strict with band members, a perfectionist? I maybe totally wrong but I'm a. 

10 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

My mate's Zappa cover band 

https://m.facebook.com/ZAPPATiKAPAGE/

They tour the UK occasionally and often have a couple of actual Zappa members in the line up. Ike Willis has been playing with them recently. 

I'm more of a Captain Beefheart man myself. 

Can't rep as I am now unwashed.

Tampa's version is a band called Bogus Pomp - Ike played with them a number of times and Napoleon Murphy Brock was in the band for 10 years.

https://www.united-mutations.com/b/bogus_pomp.htm

30 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

He is, oddly enough i only heard a fraction of his stuff years ago, the only album I had was Joe's Garage yet I could name quite a few of his tracks without remembering how they sounded so a revisit is on the cards. 

Apparently he was very strict with band members, a perfectionist? I maybe totally wrong but I'm a. 

No drink or drugs apparently, some imagination if so.

I think I was going to start a Zappa thread a while ago but I talk enough shite on here as it is. The guy was a genius & I don't use that word lightly.

Here's one of my favourite mellow Zappa tunes (featuring Liverpudlian Aynsley Dunbar on drums)...

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I think I was going to start a Zappa thread a while ago but I talk enough shite on here as it is. The guy was a genius & I don't use that word lightly.

Here's one of my favourite mellow Zappa tunes...

Why not? For some like me who have only heard a fraction of his stuff a few tracks posted would be sound. 

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

Here's one of my favourite mellow Zappa tunes (featuring Liverpudlian Aynsley Dunbar on drums)...

@Mook in @Shooter in the Motor talks shite shocker. 

This forum thrives on shite talk. Just ask @Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

If you talk any more shite you'll wind up working in a gas station.

Frank Zappa knows what I'm going to post next. 

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

That reminds me, we need a Val Doonican thread 

Be careful what you ask for. 

Who is Val Doonican? I've heard of Van Morrison.