You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Facemasks, PPE and Preppy Thread

Pureblood

On 03/04/2020 at 17:04, TK421 said:

The UK Government is running a campaign slogan "act like you've got it".  The WHO website currently recommends wearing a mask if you've tested positive or are showing symptoms.  Therefore if you need to act like you've got it, you must wear a mask in public. 

Logic. 

I hope I die before I get old. 

This "masks are useless" thing is quickly becoming one of the dumbest part of this whole fiasco. Loads of countries that were saying that are now flip-flopping and saying you should wear one in public. What's changed? They're now more effective than they would have been two weeks ago? Absolute nonsense. Of course putting anything in front of your nose and face was gonna be better than fucking nothing. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This is a thing?

Are you trolling? There has been a continuing narrative throughout this that people should not wear masks, either because they do nothing or because the health care workers need them. Both absolute nonsense arguments. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Are you trolling? There has been a continuing narrative throughout this that people should not wear masks, either because they do nothing or because the health care workers need them. Both absolute nonsense arguments. 

Well, I have a few, I know who it protects.

Do health care workers need them? Cuz if they do that would hardly be a nonsense argument.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, I have a few, I know who it protects.

Do health care workers need them? Cuz if they do that would hardly be a nonsense argument.

It's some of the biggest nonsense I've heard. Feeding the population misinformation about masks, lying to them saying they're useless and not to wear them because the Governments weren't prepared to sufficiently provide them to health care workers is the definition of propaganda. It's conniving and dangerous behaviour. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's some of the biggest nonsense I've heard. Feeding the population misinformation about masks, lying to them saying they're useless and not to wear them because the Governments weren't prepared to sufficiently provide them to health care workers is the definition of propaganda.  

Erm,, so:

They are not useless

Health care workers do need them

There are insufficient supplies for health care workers

The WHO have just said that there are insufficient supplies for health care workers

Where is the misinformation?

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Erm,, so:

They are not useless

The WHO have said that there are insufficient supplies for health care workers

Many western Governments started out by saying don't wear masks. Now the US, Canada, etc... are saying actually you should probably wear a mask. Why is that? Did the fucking science change in two weeks and now masks are useful?

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Erm,, so:

They are not useless

The WHO have just said that there are insufficient supplies for health care workers

We were told they didn't work as this started up unless you had the virus and were trying not to spread it, even Public Health England were saying the same I think. They were definitely doing it and it was wrong all along. I think it was because they were freaked about low supply of masks and didn't want health workers running out as people bought them.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Many western Governments started out by saying don't wear masks. Now the US, Canada, etc... are saying actually you should probably wear a mask. Why is that? Did the fucking science change in two weeks and now masks are useful?

He's just being deliberately obtuse and arguing for the sake of it.  It's his MO.  You were right with the troll angle. 

Ermm kay so.

We were told they didn't work as this started up unless you had the virus and were trying not to spread it, even Public Health England were saying the same I think

This is true, it was then, it is now.

The WHO have just stated this:

The wearing of medical masks by the general public could exacerbate the shortage for health workers on the front lines, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

I assume this is true since, they have no reason to lie and every other supply that has anything to do with the virus is in short supply.

Is anyone suggesting there is not a shortage of masks?

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ermm kay so.

We were told they didn't work as this started up unless you had the virus and were trying not to spread it, even Public Health England were saying the same I think

The WHO have just stated this:

The wearing of medical masks by the general public could exacerbate the shortage for health workers on the front lines, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

I assume this is true since, they have no reason to lie and every other supply that has anything to do with the virus is in short supply.

Is anyone suggesting there is not a shortage of masks?

First of all, the WHO were saying in January that there was no human to human transmission of the virus. They don't know their asshole from a hole in the ground.

Second, the problem is that Governments weren't prepared and were using this as an excuse to tell people not to wear masks. It's a joke.  

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ermm kay so.

No it was false then and it's false now. Wearing masks can help protect against it. You just quoted the WHO right after that yourself saying health workers need the masks, what do you think they need them for? Did someone forget to tell them they were all wasting their time because they need the virus for them to work?

A scarf wrapped around your face might not do much but could cut down chances of getting it, surgical mask might cut out a decent amount but still not fully safe, N95 mask properly protects against it.

But that's just the mouth, you can still get it via the eyes so if you want to walk around fully protected you need an N95 grade mask and eye protection.

From The Guardian :

Stanford economic policy research experts state that “the firm recommendation against masks in community settings appears incompatible with the available evidence”. Modeling by Yale researchers estimates that “the benefits of each additional cloth mask worn by the public are conservatively in the $3,000-$6,000 range due to their impact in slowing the spread of the virus”. A cloth mask is basically free, since you can make one from old T-shirts or sheets. So the economic payoff is hard to question. What other investment pays off by over 1,000 to 1?

One huge challenge is that mask wearing only really pays off when most people do it. A Food and Drug Administration analysis of the flu estimates that if 50% of the population uses a mask, virus transmission is reduced by half. If 80% of the population uses a mask, the virus is “essentially eliminated”.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/04/why-wear-a-mask-may-be-our-best-weapon-to-stop-coronavirus

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@3 Stacks

I am not sure where you are trying to go with this. 

By discrediting the WHO - are you suggesting there is not a shortage of proper PPE for first line health care workers?

I'm saying the WHO have been shite but that's neither here nor there. 

Absolutely no one was arguing there is a shortage of masks. The tactic of Governments using this shortage (which is their fault) to lie about the efficacy of masks to the general population is the argument. And now the subsequent flip-flop. How do you not get that? 

@3 Stacks

The tactic of Governments using this shortage (which is their fault) to lie about the efficacy of masks to the general population is the argument. 

Well, not with me its not. No one is talking fault.

This thread is about the availability and efficacy of PPE - including masks. To suggest there is not an acute shortage of those supplies seems weird.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@3 Stacks

The tactic of Governments using this shortage (which is their fault) to lie about the efficacy of masks to the general population is the argument. 

Well, not with me its not. No one is talking fault.

This thread is about the availability and efficacy of PPE - including masks. To suggest there is not an acute shortage of those supplies seems weird.

What the fuck are you talking about, no one has said there's no shortage. Fuck's sake.