You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Facemasks, PPE and Preppy Thread

Pureblood

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Horrid story alert.

In the very early 90’s I worked on a new start up business that was trying to great a magazine for house sales similar to exchange and mart. A precursor for Rightmove before the internet. 

The sales director was a filthy bitch who was a golf groupie. She followed the tour around and fucked loads of the players.  

Anyway, she never wore knickers. That summer was hot and one day she sat in the office, sniffed, and said ‘Oh god, I can smell myself’. 

Got her number?

• Upvote 1

Follow the science... except when you don't like the science, so go with feelings instead.  Micheal Gove on masks:-

“The scientific evidence so far says face coverings can have an effect in preventing an individual from spreading the disease to others if they have it and are asymptomatic.

“But there is also a worry that some people may think that wearing a mask protects themselves, as distinct to protecting others, and therefore they may behave in a manner that is slightly more cavalier.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468042720300117?via%3Dihub

To mask or not to mask: Modeling the potential for face mask use by the general public to curtail the COVID-19 pandemic

Model simulations, using data relevant to COVID-19 dynamics in the US states of New York and Washington, suggest that broad adoption of even relatively ineffective face masks may meaningfully reduce community transmission of COVID-19 and decrease peak hospitalizations and deaths.

Hypothetical mask adoption scenarios, for Washington and New York state, suggest that immediate near universal (80%) adoption of moderately (50%) effective masks could prevent on the order of 17–45% of projected deaths over two months in New York, while decreasing the peak daily death rate by 34–58%, absent other changes in epidemic dynamics.

Even very weak masks (20% effective) can still be useful if the underlying transmission rate is relatively low or decreasing: In Washington, where baseline transmission is much less intense, 80% adoption of such masks could reduce mortality by 24–65% (and peak deaths 15–69%)"

our theoretical results suggest significant (but potentially highly variable) value even to low quality masks when used widely in the community.

Unsurprisingly, the greater the proportion of infected people that are asymptomatic, the more benefit there is to giving the general public masks in addition to those experiencing symptoms.

Gee, masks are way better than no masks? Who could have seen that coming. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Spain join the party.  Free masks and compulsory on public transport.  Europe is steadily becoming a compulsory masks continent, UK is well behind because of Tory scum.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-face-masks-spain-public-transport-lockdown-pedro-sanchez-a9496031.html

It'll fuck up the facial recognition though. 'Cure is worse than the disease' and all that. If just a hundred thousand more people die so we can catch one crook, it'll all be worth it. NO MASKS.

• Upvote 1

I prefer to reference WHO or other health bodies when it comes to the guidance around wearing masks.

When to use a mask:

• Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
  • Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
  • To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus:

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

masks-infographic---final.tmb-1920v.png

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 09.09.55.png

• Downvote 1

WHO advice is wishy-washy half-baked nonsense.  It disregards the risk of asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spreaders of the virus. 

Lots of countries are ignoring it and making masks compulsory, it's outdated already even though it was only updated recently. 

“I actually did have one, no,” he responded, “I put a mask on—yeah. I had a mask on for a period of time.”

When a reporter said that none of the press saw him wearing a mask, Trump shot back: “I can’t help it if you didn’t see me.”

“I mean I had a mask on but I didn’t need it, and I asked specifically the head of Honeywell, ‘should I wear a mask?’ And he said, ‘well you don’t need one in this territory,’ and as you knew, we were far away from people — from the people making the masks. They were making the masks,” he said.

“But I did put a mask on and it was a Honeywell mask, actually. And I also had a 3M mask, and I had about four other masks, but I did have it on. I don’t know if you saw it, but I did have it on,” he said.

Pressed on how long he wore the mask, the President paused slightly, and responded that it wasn’t “too long.”  

“Not too long,” he said, “but I had it on. I had it on back — backstage. But they said you didn’t need it, so, I didn’t need it. And by the way if you noticed nobody else had it on that was in the group.” 

Video from the facility shows workers wearing masks, which the President admitted. 

“The workers had them on yeah, the workers were there. Because they’re working next to each other,” he said.

When another reporter asked how it looks for him to be in public not wearing a mask or practicing social distancing, the President seemed to have had enough. “I’m trying to be nice,” he said. “I’m signing a bill, and you criticize us. Look here’s the story: there’s nothing I can do to satisfy the media, the Democrats, who are the fake news. And I understand that.”

• 2 weeks later...

The Czech Republic has lifted its trailblazing rule requiring face masks to be worn in public, a symbolic landmark in the country’s relatively successful battle against Covid-19, writes Robert Tait in Prague.

The long-awaited lifting of the regulation – imposed shortly after a state of emergency was declared – coincided with the final phase of an easing of lockdown restrictions, in which pubs, restaurants, hotels and museums have been fully reopening their doors.

On 06/05/2020 at 20:02, TheHowieLama said:
“I actually did have one, no,” he responded, “I put a mask on—yeah. I had a mask on for a period of time.”

When a reporter said that none of the press saw him wearing a mask, Trump shot back: “I can’t help it if you didn’t see me.”

“I mean I had a mask on but I didn’t need it, and I asked specifically the head of Honeywell, ‘should I wear a mask?’ And he said, ‘well you don’t need one in this territory,’ and as you knew, we were far away from people — from the people making the masks. They were making the masks,” he said.

“But I did put a mask on and it was a Honeywell mask, actually. And I also had a 3M mask, and I had about four other masks, but I did have it on. I don’t know if you saw it, but I did have it on,” he said.

Pressed on how long he wore the mask, the President paused slightly, and responded that it wasn’t “too long.”  

“Not too long,” he said, “but I had it on. I had it on back — backstage. But they said you didn’t need it, so, I didn’t need it. And by the way if you noticed nobody else had it on that was in the group.” 

Video from the facility shows workers wearing masks, which the President admitted. 

“The workers had them on yeah, the workers were there. Because they’re working next to each other,” he said.

When another reporter asked how it looks for him to be in public not wearing a mask or practicing social distancing, the President seemed to have had enough. “I’m trying to be nice,” he said. “I’m signing a bill, and you criticize us. Look here’s the story: there’s nothing I can do to satisfy the media, the Democrats, who are the fake news. And I understand that.”

When Trump is quoted verbatim, it just looks like a piece of text that somebody has translated through 50 different languages, one after the other, the meaning slightly altering all the time before it’s translated back into English. 

• Upvote 3

Copper face masks.

https://www.today.com/health/copper-face-masks-protect-against-coronavirus-do-they-work-t182589

Decades of research shows that bacteria and viruses that land on metallic copper surfaces are killed on contact. A March study in the New England Journal of Medicine found in a laboratory setting that copper can inactivate a high concentration of the novel coronavirus within four hours.

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Does it die on contact or take 4 hours.

I don't know but I'm prepared to give it a whirl. I'll definitely be ordering one.  I think the four hour thing was because it was a high viral load. With smaller particles, the claim is that they're killed on impact from free radicals.