You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Facemasks, PPE and Preppy Thread

Pureblood

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

Tell that to the nurses.

Unless your mask has FFP3 rating its as much use as a chocolate teapot. You also need protective eyewear. That’s what a nurse will tell you.

Oh, and buying anything more than you need for 7 days is stockpiling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Unless your mask has FFP3 rating (or N95 in the US) its as much use as a chocolate teapot. You also need protective eyewear. That’s what a nurse will tell you.

Oh, and buying anything more than you need for 7 days is stockpiling.

I vehemently disagree.

Any mask is better than no mask.  Even a mask which cuts out, say, 50% of germs is better than nothing.  There's a big homemade mask movement going on at the moment, which is great to see in the absence of proper supplies.  Attitudes like yours are what will help the virus spread, with all due respect.

Also, there's nothing wrong with stockpiling per se.  For example, if there is an elderly person in your house you need to make sure that person has enough food to self-isolate for fourteen days in case they test positive.  If the other person living in that house then gets sick on day 13 of the elderly person testing positive, they too will need a 14 day supply of food in order to self-isolate.  That's 27 days right there.  So a month's worth is about right, but it's not a "one size fits all" approach.  A degree of flexibility is needed to take into account varying circumstances.  

Blanket statements like "buying anything more than you need for 7 days is stockpiling" creates unnecessary social stigma on people who need to plan for a situation where more than that amount may be required.  In turn, this will help prevent the spread of the virus.  

Just now, Anubis said:

No, buying more than you need and stockpiling unnecessarily penalises people who can’t afford to do that and who will endanger them as they trudge from shop to shop trying to find basic foodstuffs.

Not if it's done incrementally.  Like I say, I began to prepare several weeks ago when I knew the shit would be hitting the fan.  I bought items in small quantities until I had enough to last a month.  

Also, stockpiling (as you call it, prepping to me) is not mutually exclusive with helping others around you.  Hence, I bought some gluten free bread for an elderly neighbour today who couldn't find any in the local store.  It is possible to prepare the best you can for you and your loved ones and help other people at the same time.

As many people as possible should be staying at home and avoiding going shopping. We’re told there isn’t a problem with the availability of food and supply chains, so the government should be working with supermarkets, redeploying those who drive for a living - bus and taxi drivers, etc. - to deliver groceries.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've always called them supermarkets.

shop, store, market, superstore, supermarket, hyperstore, hypermarket

any other variations?

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

As many people as possible should be staying at home and avoiding going shopping. We’re told there isn’t a problem with the availability of food and supply chains, so the government should be working with supermarkets, redeploying those who drive for a living - bus and taxi drivers, etc. - to deliver groceries.

I've applied to tesco to be a delivery driver while i am not able to teach people to drive. The Government have all the details of approved driving instructors and have not tapped into it at all.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

I've applied to tesco to be a delivery driver while i am not able to teach people to drive. The Government have all the details of approved driving instructors and have not tapped into it at all.

Try Morrisons I saw somewhere they were recruiting

1 minute ago, A Red said:

Try Morrisons I saw somewhere they were recruiting

Yes I think they all are actually. I'm going to go on a couple of other websites and see what happens. I know of another instructor who had an interview with tesco and as soon as they saw what he did for a living they fast tracked the process and want him working as soon as possible. I'm hoping it may be the same for me.

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't think I have heard any Frank Zappa. With the enforced time off, it might be the right time to become enlightened.

This is heavily jazz influenced. Never would have thought that of Frank Zappa.

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

You have a lot to learn about this place.

Quite, I haven't a clue about this type of vocabulary, sometimes I get a text and I can't decipher it because of such words for instance a matewoman said I never get jel, what the fuck, I know now but why not put down the actual word. The use of M8 instead of mate, surely it's easier to say mate instead of going to numerals then back to letters it irritates me.

What does it mean anyhow? Is this what it's about or am I on the wrong track again? It looks and sounds shit anyway.