You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Facemasks, PPE and Preppy Thread

Pureblood

I'm totes into all this stuff, especially facemasks.  I don't leave the house without my mask and gloves on. It's my strong opinion that facemasks should be compulsory once enough are available.

Made my own handgel today using isopropyl and aloe vera. 

I also have 200 vinyl gloves, some protective goggles and a month's worth of long life food. I even bought some bread for elderly neighbours today.  I don't see prepping as stockpiling, just being sensible, and have done mine incrementally over the last few weeks to reach a month's worth of food. 

Anyone else into prepping/PPE?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I'm totes into all this stuff, especially facemasks.  I don't leave the house without my mask and gloves on. It's my strong opinion that facemasks should be compulsory once enough are available.

I also have 200 vinyl gloves, some protective goggles and a month's worth of long life food. I even bought some bread for elderly neighbours today.  I don't see prepping as stockpiling, just being sensible, and have done mine incrementally over the last few weeks to reach a month's worth of food. 

Disappointing, I was expecting you to go full stormtrooper.

• Upvote 1

Got loads of gloves and 1 face mask always take the hand gel out to wash hands if I've had to go the shop, once a week now, touch screens and all that. Saying that I should of been doing it before this shit with some of the minty cunts who are about especially in pubs and the bookies, which I don't have to worry about now alas. 

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

I bet you did it using online shopping.

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I bet you did it using online shopping.

All PPE was bought online apart from some Clearasil "Gentle Gel Wash".  The Clearasil stuff is great, because it creates a soapy lather.  Soap/lather can cut through the outer greasy layer of the virus itself, according to a doctor I heard on Five Live yesterday.  Hand sanitizer doesn't create the same soapy/lather effect but is still very useful at killing the germs, of course.

With regard to food shopping I have done all of mine in store wearing a mask and gloves.  I agree with @A Red that online bookings should be left for at risk/elderly people until the supermarkets and authorities are on top of this crisis.  It is unfair to expose vulnerable people to a higher level of risk in a crisis situation, I reckon.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

All PPE was bought online apart from some Clearasil "Gentle Gel Wash".  The Clearasil stuff is great, because it creates a soapy lather.  Soap/lather can cut through the outer greasy layer of the virus itself, according to a doctor I heard on Five Live yesterday.  Hand sanitizer doesn't create the same soapy/lather effect but is still very useful at killing the germs, of course.

With regard to food shopping I have done all of mine in store wearing a mask and gloves.  I agree with @A Red that online bookings should be left for at risk/elderly people until the supermarkets and authorities are on top of this crisis.  It is unfair to expose vulnerable people to a higher level of risk in a crisis situation, I reckon.  

I have only been in small local stores for the things I have bought so far. Are the staff in the superstores wearing PPE and masks?

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I have only been in small local stores for the things I have bought so far. Are the staff in the superstores wearing PPE and masks?

It hasn’t been provided by the top brass so they’ve taken to using surplus Halloween stock. Scream on the checkouts, Frankenstein on the fag counter, etc. 

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

In general, no.  There is a lot of stigma attached to wearing PPE which needs breaking down and fast.  People assume that you're disease ridden just because you're wearing a mask.  When the reality is, you just want to protect yourself from getting the virus and/or passing it onto other people if you're ill yourself but asymptomatic.  

They have built some plastic screens to protect the cashiers in the Morrissons I go to, and I've seen a few staff wearing gloves.  They also use hand gel after each customer and had security letting one in/one out.  Which is a good start.  

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It hasn’t been provided by the top brass so they’ve taken to using surplus Halloween stock. Scream on the checkouts, Frankenstein on the fag counter, etc. 

If that's true, I'm going tomorrow.