You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Premier League players set to revolt over plan to play games behind closed doors

TLW

Premier League players are firmly against the plan to play games behind closed doors.

The Mirror reports that players from all divisions in England have spoken to their representatives at the Professional Footballers Association about their displeasure of the plan.

There was a belief that the Premier League has mapped out a plan to resume games from as early as May 2nd, especially as they were under pressure from TV companies to fulfill their contracts or they will risk losing money running into the hundreds of millions of pounds.

image.png

Some of the reasoning behind the players concerns include:

* Fearing for their own safety amid strict Government warnings over social distancing.
* It could put their own families in jeopardy if they then become infected
* Extra strain would be placed on emergency services with ambulances, paramedics and security would be needed at a time when they are already being stretched to the limit
* They do not want to play in empty stadiums with loyal fans being locked out

With the players so strong in their view, there will undoubtedly be some strong discussions taking place behind the scenes.

The PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: 

“Players do have concerns and understandably so. It would not be our preferred option but everything has to be considered at the moment."

There is also a fear that the new season will kickoff behind closed doors with no one knowing when this Covid-19 outbreak will ease.

View full article

I wonder where this ends, because it seems as though the risk will be there to some extent for the next year.

I think the sensible option would be to put next season on indefinite hiatus so that this one can be completed and plan for a half-length campaign in which you draw straws for home or away in any given match. Drop domestic cup competitions entirely and have a straight knockout CL / Europa from the start, entirely behind closed doors in one or two locations to stop further spread.

Of course, government restrictions at the time the season is due to restart could play a considerable role - if the lockdown has been eased and non “key workers” are back in, there would be solid grounds to continually fine players who refused to turn out. It’s all up in the air.

Bunch of fannies don't know how lucky they have it. Point 3 is valid but everything else is just cry-arsing. At least they are guaranteed hundreds of thousands every week for sitting it out in their mansions whilst people are on the front line helping others aren't even guaranteed a basic wage.

Don't get it, why wouldn't they want to play, they should all be self-isolating at home anyway, they can all be tested regularly, they are supposed to be the healthiest people around so even if they get it, there is extremely low risk, if they have vulnerable people at home, they should be isolated from them anyway.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Doesn’t surprise me. Who can blame them. Anyway, bollocks to football, get yourselves over to the GF.

C08B9695-D660-462A-93B8-6E9BDE5A3691.jpeg

Is that the Speak and Spell that Boris Johnson used?

Guest Alex_K
14 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think the sensible option would be to put next season on indefinite hiatus so that this one can be completed and plan for a half-length campaign in which you draw straws for home or away in any given match.

Drawing straws in 2020 to play a version of the league that has never existed in 130+ years is the 'sensible option'? This must be variation #1001 punter-on-the-street has tried to wrap as creatively & far-fetchedly as possible. The league will finish in the summer and the next league will be pushed back a bit into autumn. Quote me later. There's no need for these endlessly crazy simulations - citing yours here but so many 'sensible options' have been forthcoming - I guess people are bored.

I honestly believe that this season will be scrapped, this is going to go on for many months and I don’t see how they are going to get around scrapping it. The fallout will go on for ages with legal challenges etc but I don’t see a way out, the only way would be to scrap the next season and I don’t see that happening. I do think they may award us the title but it would be the ultimate asterix season.

• Downvote 1

I think it'll be finished. If any legal challenge rolled into a new season, the potential fallout for damages would escalate, as the ability to unpick things would be nigh on impossible. 

We're due a few months of lockdown, followed by an alleviation of the measures, then lockdown again as the virus re-emerges. That window of activity is when the season will probably be concluded.

Next season can be streamlined, as broadcasters have paid for rights, but have no say over the format of competitions. The league cup is easily scrapped, as it's cheap. The FA Cup could lose replays (or even be shelved as well), and CL could become a one-off straightforward knockout competition. 

• Upvote 1

You could probably reduce next season by a month by cutting out international friendlies as well. You could also gain the best part of a month just  by finishing it in  early June. 

There's no reason at all why you couldn't have a meaningful season starting in October. The CL and EL could make up lost time out of their winter break. 

• Upvote 2

On 25/03/2020 at 15:33, aws said:

You could probably reduce next season by a month by cutting out international friendlies as well. You could also gain the best part of a month just  by finishing it in  early June. 

There's no reason at all why you couldn't have a meaningful season starting in October. The CL and EL could make up lost time out of their winter break. 

With champions League qualifiers starting in June,  you've four months to make up there. 

Only way I see around this is changing the football calendar completely. 

19 minutes ago, Grinch said:

With champions League qualifiers starting in June,  you've four months to make up there. 

Only way I see around this is changing the football calendar completely. 

Bin the League Cup, Bin International friendlies, don't have three fucking international breaks before Christmas - play all the games in one slightly lengthier break. Finish the season three or four weeks later.

Could easily do this starting in October.

• Upvote 1

As mentioned above, no internationals before Christmas. Have the March friendlies, then 2 or 3 pre-tournament  warm-ups in a slightly longer break. 

Fuck off the League Cup, if only for a season. No FA Cup replays. Have the FA Cup semi-finals back-to-back on a stand-alone Saturday. This would mean both games couldn't be played at the same venue and it wouldn't be fair to give two teams the advantage of seeing Wembley early, so make them both neutral grounds. 

Treat the CL like a tennis draw. Being seeded still means you avoid the other bigger teams until later in the tournament. Start home and away knockout ties from 64 teams. No Manchester City. 

So the league wouldn't be affected, you still get the 'magic' of the Cup, the CL would be far more exciting far earlier and even international teams would have sufficient games to settle their squads and tactics before major tournaments. And all this having saved a good 6-8 weeks. What's the problem?