Quantcast
What is your favourite Roald Dahl children’s book? - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Tony Moanero

What is your favourite Roald Dahl children’s book?

What is your favourite Roald Dahl kid’s book?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Roald Dahl kid’s book?

• The BFG
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
    • Danny, the Champion of the World
    • Dirty Beasts
    • The Enormous Crocodile
    • Esiotrot
    • Fantastic Mr Fox
    • George’s Marvellous Medicine
    • The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
    • The Gremlins
    • James and the Giant Peach
    • The Magic Finger
    • Matilda
    • The Minpins
    • Revolting Rhymes
    • Rhyme Stew
    • The Twits
    • The Vicar of Nibbleswicke
    • The Witches

19 hours ago, Paul said:

Danny, the Champion of the World by a mile. It’s incredible. 

same for me. 

In fairness, there's isnt a bad book in that list, but i always loved Danny The Champion of the world as a kid.

I did always wonder, did the hair in the raisin trick really work??? 

4 hours ago, Elite said:

I've never seen. Mustn't have been much good as Matilda, Willy Wonka, The Witches are well known.

Was a TV film so not as widely circulated. It is good though.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Danny, the Champion of the World, because my name is Danny, and I'm a fucking champion.

Crufts-Winner-2006.jpg

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Roald Dahl was more popular when my kids were younger. I probably read more of Enid Blyton in between Marx and Engels.

I used to love Enid Blyton, especially The Famous Five. The Hardy Boys, too.

• Upvote 2

The Hardy Boys books were boss but the best series like that, by a mile, was The Three Investigators. I still read them now on occasion. 

Fantastic Mr Fox I read countless times as a kid. Danny the Champion of the World was great too. 

Pheasants and chickens. 

16 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

The Hardy Boys books were boss but the best series like that, by a mile, was The Three Investigators. I still read them now on occasion. 

Rocked my world when I found that the author didn't exist and it was a group of writers employed to write under that name.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I probably like his adult fiction as much as the kids stuff. And some of it is very adult indeed.

I considered including his adult fiction, but wasn’t sure how many posters would be familiar with it. Most people, of a certain age, will have have read some of the children’s stuff.

I bought the witches last night because I was sick of looking for a book. So good I felt nostalgic straight away seeing quentin Blake's drawings and remembering seeing them first time around.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I bought the witches last night because I was sick of looking for a book. So good I felt nostalgic straight away seeing quentin Blake's drawings and remembering seeing them first time around.

Quentin Blake’s illustrations are ace. 

• Upvote 1

This is an excellent modern kid’s book (the made for television film is good, too), which I thought was illustrated by Blake. Turns out it’s Tony Ross (Horrid Henry). Very much in the style of Blake, though.

628FA0E4-4BB1-40B1-BC86-16201A5FDFA8.jpeg

George's marvellous medicine really captivated me as a child. Loved making potions in my Oma's bath out of all her shampoo's and soap. I've definitely read Danny the champion of the world as a kid but don't remember the story, I have it though ready to read to my daughter with all of Dahl's children's collection

• Upvote 1

My lad is 3 months old and I’ve just ordered him the 15 book box set. Can’t wait to read them to him, whether he knows what I’m on about or not.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, belarus said:

My lad is 3 months old and I’ve just ordered him the 15 book box set. Can’t wait to read them to him, whether he knows what I’m on about or not.

The sooner you get them read the better. You can then move on to Stephen King by the time he’s 6 months. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The sooner you get them read the better. You can then move on to Stephen King by the time he’s 6 months. 

Hahaha

My eldest lad is quite an advanced reader and likes Roald Dahl books. 

He’s just turned 5, but can read the simpler books On his own, like the Enormous Crocodile, The Twits, Esio Trot, The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me and the Magic Finger.

We’ve got the 15 book set too and we’ve read hallway through half of the other stories as well. Fantastic Mr Fox, James and the Giant Peach and George’s Marvellous Medicine have all been devoured but read to him by me.

The only reason we’ve not read the others like Matilda and the Witches etc are due to his very young age and the themes, which I think he may need a couple of years for his maturity/understanding to catch up with his reading abilities. 

We are currently 4 chapters into Danny Champion of The World. It always was and remains my favourite. 

I’ve not read it in about 35 years and it’s lost none of its greatness in my eyes (so far). If anything it’s better so far than I remembered, beautifully written 

• Upvote 1