You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is your favourite Roald Dahl children’s book?

Tony Moanero

What is your favourite Roald Dahl kid’s book?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Roald Dahl kid’s book?

• The BFG
    • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
    • Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
    • Danny, the Champion of the World
    • Dirty Beasts
    • The Enormous Crocodile
    • Esiotrot
    • Fantastic Mr Fox
    • George’s Marvellous Medicine
    • The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me
    • The Gremlins
    • James and the Giant Peach
    • The Magic Finger
    • Matilda
    • The Minpins
    • Revolting Rhymes
    • Rhyme Stew
    • The Twits
    • The Vicar of Nibbleswicke
    • The Witches

19 hours ago, Paul said:

Danny, the Champion of the World by a mile. It’s incredible. 

same for me. 

In fairness, there's isnt a bad book in that list, but i always loved Danny The Champion of the world as a kid.

I did always wonder, did the hair in the raisin trick really work??? 

16 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

The Hardy Boys books were boss but the best series like that, by a mile, was The Three Investigators. I still read them now on occasion. 

Rocked my world when I found that the author didn't exist and it was a group of writers employed to write under that name.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I probably like his adult fiction as much as the kids stuff. And some of it is very adult indeed.

I considered including his adult fiction, but wasn’t sure how many posters would be familiar with it. Most people, of a certain age, will have have read some of the children’s stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

George's marvellous medicine really captivated me as a child. Loved making potions in my Oma's bath out of all her shampoo's and soap. I've definitely read Danny the champion of the world as a kid but don't remember the story, I have it though ready to read to my daughter with all of Dahl's children's collection

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, belarus said:

My lad is 3 months old and I’ve just ordered him the 15 book box set. Can’t wait to read them to him, whether he knows what I’m on about or not.

The sooner you get them read the better. You can then move on to Stephen King by the time he’s 6 months. 

• Upvote 2

My eldest lad is quite an advanced reader and likes Roald Dahl books. 

He’s just turned 5, but can read the simpler books On his own, like the Enormous Crocodile, The Twits, Esio Trot, The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me and the Magic Finger.

We’ve got the 15 book set too and we’ve read hallway through half of the other stories as well. Fantastic Mr Fox, James and the Giant Peach and George’s Marvellous Medicine have all been devoured but read to him by me.

The only reason we’ve not read the others like Matilda and the Witches etc are due to his very young age and the themes, which I think he may need a couple of years for his maturity/understanding to catch up with his reading abilities. 

We are currently 4 chapters into Danny Champion of The World. It always was and remains my favourite. 

I’ve not read it in about 35 years and it’s lost none of its greatness in my eyes (so far). If anything it’s better so far than I remembered, beautifully written 

• Upvote 1