You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Online food shopping

Tony Moanero

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm defending myself perfectly well. Hence why you keep on twisting things and putting forward fake arguments. 

Wheres the twist and fake arguments? What have i got wrong?

You wouldnt give up or condone giving up a delivery slot to the vulnerable because it was too risky. Now you will because its not as risky.

I'm pretty sure that summarises it

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I've had my say anyway. I've got things to do. Like make some room in the fridge for tomorrow. I've got loads of food in, but got a delivery too as you can never be too sure, can you? 

You keep trying to hide behind humour

You wouldnt give up or condone giving up a delivery slot to the vulnerable because it was too risky. Now you will because its not as risky.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

Wheres the twist and fake arguments? What have i got wrong?

Spot on.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

One thing I really miss from the UK is we used to get a veg and meat box delivered to my house every fortnight by these guys called Riverford. Get on it if they do deliveries in your area. Real fresh veg and organic meat. Their chicken taste so good.

Edit: apologies, I’ve just checked and they’ve stopped taking new orders.

A pretty interesting business too.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/07/riverford-organic-veg-employee-ownership-plan

Employee ownership, better known as the John Lewis model, remains a niche approach to business in the UK. But it is growing, and one West Country agricultural entrepreneur is the latest backer of an idea that has been embraced by more than 300 British companies.

Guy Singh-Watson is handing more than three-quarters of his Riverford Organic Farmers business to its 650 employees as part of plans to create a structure where the staff will have a say in the firm’s future.

Staff will not have to buy shares under the employee ownership plan; their 76% stake will be held in a trust overseen by a board that will be involved in running Riverford alongside a staff council.

Workers will share about 10% of annual profits, as they have since the 1990s, and a loan from ethical bank Triodos will let the business pay £6m over four years to Singh-Watson, who turns 58 this month.

The business is worth more than £20m, and Singh-Watson, who added the Singh to his name in 2014 after his second marriage, could have walked away with a much bigger pile if he had entertained an offer from one of the many City types seeking a slice of the fast-growing food delivery market.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

You keep trying to hide behind humour

This should always be at the end of this thread

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Riverford's employees sound like lazy bastards to be honest. Oh, we've got loads of orders, best stop taking any new ones otherwise we might grow the business.

I don’t mind them prioritising existing customers especially when there are risks of non-delivery. 

Just now, aRdja said:

I don’t mind them prioritising existing customers especially when there are risks of non-delivery. 

I think they're scum, there's likely many vulnerable people who can't get into their elitist closed shop because they can't be arsed scaling up and are content to rake it in rather than provide a service.

The preceding comment may not be entirely serious.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Went and picked up chicken breasts from Prahran market this arvo... probably most the premium market in Melbourne (@Audrey Witherspoon can verify) I can confirm that though it was decent, Riverford’s delivered better chook.

Ah, we used to shop there a fair bit, never known it was expensive, which is lucky I suppose. Cleo’s deli is fucking boss tho, get some good Spanish morcilla out of there, smart cold cuts, oh and green eggs for you to butcher.

• Upvote 1

If you are capable of getting to the shop then do so and shop sensibly.

If you are booking a delivery in during this just because you are a lazy bastard then you are a fucking gobshite. 

People should do their bit no matter how big or small to help those elderly or vulnerable. You might think one little delivery of food because its convenient won't matter, well guess what, it fucking does. 

Amen. 

• Upvote 3