You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Site plans during the lockdown

dave u

On 23/03/2020 at 18:47, dave u said:

Been laid low with this bastard virus. All three of us have had it. Adrianna is fine but me and Gail have barely been able to move since Thursday. 

I was doing the diary last week but was too ill to finish it. The last hour or so I've suddenly started feeling more like normal so hopefully I've turned the corner now. Will try and get it finished when I'm up to it, so will probably just do a two week diary and post up this weekend.

I'd started on the match report from the 86 final too. Was making good progress on it until I got sick. Looking at posting that next Monday, as the plan is to post the reports up on Mondays just like normal.

Malingering twat.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Thought I was over it when I posted the update on here, but it came back with a vengeance and I've been in bed ever since.

Feel much better this morning so hopefully this time I am coming out of it.

Hope it's behind you know. Is the family ok?

It's all Atletico's fault. Hard to believe it was only 16 days ago.

Hard drive has failed on my laptop. Looks like I've lost everything on there, which is mostly fine as I've got a back up of anything important. With one exception. I was 3/4 the way through the match report for the 86 cup final and I don't have it backed up anywhere.

I think it's all still on the laptop, but I can't access anything and all of the instructions I've found on how to fix it aren't getting the job done.

The worst thing as a writer is when you lose your work and have to do it again, because you know it's not going to be as good as the original and there'll be things you don't remember from the first time around.

Proper pissed off here. This is the third time this has happened. Twice with this same laptop.

Apple stuff used to be great, I'd swear by macs and iphones, but the ones I've had in recent years have been pieces of shit. Especially the phones. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Online tech support takes the piss, because it's usually some IT bod in India basically asking you to completely dismantle and reassemble the hardware as well as uninstalling, deleting and then rewriting the programs for all the software. Maybe where they are, a warranty means even less than it does here.

Agree with the above point that heat build-up is often the main problem. I put an old laptop in the fridge for a day because it had an overheating issue that vacuuming out the fan didn't resolve, and it seemed to do the trick.

Pretty sure it's not that. The battery died, I plugged it in but it wouldn't charge at first. The light would come on and go off again after a couple of seconds, which was weird. Then the light stayed on and I was able to power it up, but I got a flashing folder with a question mark.

I googled it and followed the various different solutions computer geeks had posted up, but none of them work and I'm 99.9% sure that my hard drive is caput and I can't retrieve any of my files.

I can't even just wipe the whole thing and start again, because if the hard drive is goosed then it needs replacing. I'm not paying for a new hard drive as I've already done that once about five years back.

Think I'm going to have to accept my files are gone, and I'm going to have to buy a new laptop.

21 hours ago, cwoods said:

Can you find an alternative battery and PSU for it?

It might not be able to provide enough juice to power the Hard Drive.

Swapping for an another could work...

What's a PSU?

I don't think thats the problem as the battery is fully charged now, it's just that 'Macintosh HD' isn't there. Pretty sure the laptop is a write off.

P.S.U. = Power Supply Unit

Doesn't sound hopeful to be honest but I've seen similar laptops and such like work with a proven working power supply after the existing one wears out and can't properly charge the battery anymore.

Last thing which could work is to swap the circuit board on the Hard Drive Unit itself for an identical one, but it is major surgery, not guaranteed and can be quite expensive and I politely suggest it's probably not for you....

Looks like a new computer is in order and we'll have to wait for the report instead ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2020 at 20:06, dave u said:

Hard drive has failed on my laptop. Looks like I've lost everything on there, which is mostly fine as I've got a back up of anything important. With one exception. I was 3/4 the way through the match report for the 86 cup final and I don't have it backed up anywhere.

I think it's all still on the laptop, but I can't access anything and all of the instructions I've found on how to fix it aren't getting the job done.

The worst thing as a writer is when you lose your work and have to do it again, because you know it's not going to be as good as the original and there'll be things you don't remember from the first time around.

Proper pissed off here. This is the third time this has happened. Twice with this same laptop.

Apple stuff used to be great, I'd swear by macs and iphones, but the ones I've had in recent years have been pieces of shit. Especially the phones. 

This is the 2020 equivalent of the dog ate my homework

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic