You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Site plans during the lockdown

dave u

With things being quiet on the footy front at some point soon I'll close the site for a day or two to upgrade the software. Not sure when I'll do it but I'll give you plenty of notice.

In terms of content for the subscribers, there's obviously no match reports or round ups on the immediate horizon but I will try to keep the diary going as long as there's stuff to comment on.

I want to try and keep giving you value for money though so to replace the match reports I've had an idea.

"Time Machine Match Reports"

Basically I'm going to do reports on memorable games from the past but I'll be writing them as though I'm there at that time and have no knowledge of what happens over the following years.

So, for example. The first one is going to be the 1986 FA Cup Final. I'll be writing a report on that game as though I'm writing it in 1986. 

Obviously these will be a lot harder to write than current reports because I need to do some research to see what was happening in and around these games as I want to write them in the same style I would do games taking place now. The reports aren't going to be "after ten minutes Dalglish put one on a plate for Rush and we took the lead" as that's not my style. I want to make them as close to how I'd write it normally, so to do that I'll actually need to do some background research.

I'd like to do one a week but that might be overly ambitious depending on what resources are available, so in terms of the frequency we'll play that by ear.

The biggest complication is that I'll only do reports on games where I have access to the full 90 minutes, but getting the full 90 minutes of old games isn't easy.

I've got various cup finals from the 60s, 70s and 80s (ideally I don't want to do anything later than those anyway) and I've got the Forest 5-0, but other than that I'll be struggling so if anyone can point me in the direction of full 90 minute videos then that would be great.

I'll hopefully have the first one ready to post in a few days.

• Upvote 16

• dave u pinned this topic

I actually wrote reports on all of those at the time, Cain. So kind of defeating the object there!

The 96 Cup Final is the exception as that was before TLW, but I've never watched that since and have no intention of doing so now!

• Upvote 2

Pretty sure the 9-0 and 3-4 semi final games vs palace will be available in full 90 minutes as both were brought out on vhs.

same for the 3-3 with united and the two 4-3s against Newcastle.

im not going to search for them myself but I reckon they’ll be available

49 minutes ago, dave u said:

I actually wrote reports on all of those at the time, Cain. So kind of defeating the object there!

The 96 Cup Final is the exception as that was before TLW, but I've never watched that since and have no intention of doing so now!

Are they up online in the archives anywhere? 

27 minutes ago, Carradona said:

Are they up online in the archives anywhere? 

Yeah they're defo on here somewhere. They won't be listed int he match report index though.

That's something I might get stuck into while there are no games as the archive really should be easier to access than it currently is.

That website is great. I watched a bit of a game against Chelsea (1987 I think) before and there's a tackle by Venison that's absolutely horrific. Shin high, over the ball, absolutely nails the fella. Free kick, no yellow card and the commentators not really arsed about it.

• dave u unpinned this topic