You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General TV amnesty thread

Sugar Ape

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Love Island is by far the best show of its kind on TV. Doesn't mean it's great in relation to other kinds of shows, but for what it is, there is nothing more entertaining. 

Its only as good as its contestants- as with all reality shows. 

34 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Shows about narcissistic exhibitionists with no talent are truly grim, they don't get an iota of my attention as does anything that has reality,  celebrity in the title. Throw X Factor, The Voice etc into that mix as well. 

I suppose they serve a purpose for some though. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

I find the stereotypical UK lad/lass character hilarious, so they're all great to me. Also, the format is better than most reality shows. Feels more conversation-based, less scripted, more candid. It's just different and better than what you get on American TV. 

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Murder She Wrote

I particularly like the ones set in Ireland, where the accents are more Jamaican, and there's a cardboard backdrop to ye olde pub.

And clearly filmed in California, Sons of Anarchy did the same and Magnum P.I. did it with Hawaii. 

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

Homes Under The Hammer. I don't know if it qualifies as amnesty or not.

The best bit of HUTH is the totally random and totally bonkers music that they play. Watched one the other day playing My Boy Lollipop while the camera panned around a shithole in Bootle that went for £32k at auction.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The best bit of HUTH is the totally random and totally bonkers music that they play. Watched one the other day playing My Boy Lollipop while the camera panned around a shithole in Bootle that went for £32k at auction.

I'd love to have that job. They might get a bit more Half Man Half Biscuit than normal but I reckon it'd work. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

Whodunnits are ace. Your top 5 favourite TV detectives?

Ooh, good one Tony.

I'd go Columbo top, because he's created for TV, and is genuinely different to the archetypal detective. I'd gladly watch a repeat of Columbo - maybe not the later, studio based years - over any new show on.

Then some literary stalwarts, Sherlock Holmes, the Jeremy Brett version mind, Cumberbatch can do one; Miss Marple, but only the Joan Hickson one (the Margaret Rutherford films are great, though); Poirot, and it's a toss up for last place between Jim Rockford and Inspector Maigret.

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Ooh, good one Tony.

I'd go Columbo top, because he's created for TV, and is genuinely different to the archetypal detective. I'd gladly watch a repeat of Columbo - maybe not the later, studio based years - over any new show on.

Then some literary stalwarts, Sherlock Holmes, the Jeremy Brett version mind, Cumberbatch can do one; Miss Marple, but only the Joan Hickson one (the Margaret Rutherford films are great, though); Poirot, and it's a toss up for last place between Jim Rockford and Inspector Maigret.

Joan Hickson is definitely my favourite Miss Marple. It was a toss up between her and Poirot. Ask me tomorrow and I’ll probably have it the other way around. 

1. Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)

2. Inspector Morse

3. Hercules Poirot 

4. Jack Frost

5. George Bulman

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Joan Hickson is definitely my favourite Miss Marple. It was a toss up between her and Poirot. Ask me tomorrow and I’ll probably have it the other way around. 

1. Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)

2. Inspector Morse

3. Hercules Poirot 

4. Jack Frost

5. George Bulman

BBC weekday afternoon lazing off while at University detective rankings:

1. Columbo

2. Banacek

3. Bergerac

4. Quincy

5. Petrocelli