You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your top 5 favourite American sitcoms of all time?

Tony Moanero

12 hours ago, Mike D said:

Love The Simpsons, Family guy, American dad, South park.

Cant watch past season 9 of The Simpsons though.

Same with most American shows. They get worn out. MASH, Married with children, 3rd rock from the sun.  I like them but its usually the earlier stuff.

MASH was an obvious one I missed out.

Top four

It’s always sunny

Frasier

Friends

Seinfeld 

After that there are loads I like but not sure any of them really stand out over the others, for me. 
The Office

The League

30 Rock

Parks and Rec

Brooklyn Nine Nine

Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Community

Silicon Valley

Malcolm in the Middle

Not going to go include cartoons but if I did The Simpsons, Rick and Morty and Archer would be in the mix. 

For nostalgia, Mork and Mindy, Cheers, Saved by the bell, Boy meets world and Different Strokes. 

Used to really like Spin City and Just shoot me as well if anyone can remember them?

10 hours ago, SasaS said:

What about "dramedies", like Louie, Entourage, Maron, do they count?

I've never heard of the other two but how could you possibly, POSSIBLY bring this show into any discussion of "top 5" anythings?

Had a mate who recommended this and so I gave it a go. Hands down the worst television I ever saw. It comes off as a parody of a normal drama, where you're trying to make fun of how low-stakes the plot can be.

"Will the movie star find the good weed before he has to fly to Utah? Or will he be forced to endure the trip with unlimited booze, dozens of attractive women and all his mates ... WITHOUT getting high!?"

5 hours ago, the chimp said:

All oldies but in no particular order:

The Phil Silvers Show

Newhart

Coach

Benson

Who's the Boss?

Kudos for Newhart and Benson.

I'll add:

Barney Miller

It's Gary Shandling's Show

In no particular order..... 

Frasier 

South park ( early seasons, I don't watch it any more)

Cheers

Always sunny

Eastbound and down. 

And does entourage class as a comedy? I think the yanks thought it was. I never thought it was that funny except for Drama, but I loved the show and if it's a comedy, it might knock out cheers. 

11 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I've never heard of the other two but how could you possibly, POSSIBLY bring this show into any discussion of "top 5" anythings?

Had a mate who recommended this and so I gave it a go. Hands down the worst television I ever saw. It comes off as a parody of a normal drama, where you're trying to make fun of how low-stakes the plot can be.

"Will the movie star find the good weed before he has to fly to Utah? Or will he be forced to endure the trip with unlimited booze, dozens of attractive women and all his mates ... WITHOUT getting high!?"

Entourage? I thought it was very good, besides, it is generally highly rated and popular, even on here, so it's not exactly a controversial choice. The characters are actually pretty accurate, from my limited experience on the fringes of the industry.

What TV you normally like?

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I liked Entourage but it isn't a sitcom, similar to Californication, some genuinely funny parts put definitely filed under Drama.

Just looked on IMDb and it has it as 

Comedy, Drama

As I say, I'm not sure it's comedy either. Maybe it is for American humour. But it feels mostly drama to me with funny bits.