You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sitcom Amnesty Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Not amnesty but I felt bad leaving a few out. 

The Likely Lads can feel aggrieved. If only for that episode when they avoid the England score. As funny as any sole episode in any sitcom that except Bottom Gasman and Fawlty Towers the Germans. Maybe on par with Young Ones University Challenge. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

To accompany Stig's polls, here's where we own up to liking stuff that was never going to trouble the top 16.

I'm partial to...

Outnumbered 

Two Pints of Lager...

The earlier series of Not Going Out

I liked this too. The musical episode is really good. 

Nowhere near as bad as is made out.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Not amnesty but I felt bad leaving a few out. 

The Likely Lads can feel aggrieved. If only for that episode when they avoid the England score. As funny as any sole episode in any sitcom that except Bottom Gasman and Fawlty Towers the Germans. Maybe on par with Young Ones University Challenge. 

There are a few good episodes of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads. The Christmas episode is excellent too. 

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

That’s not amnesty, in my opinion. Probably won’t be very popular on here, but it was very good. 

I figured it was a risky one but it did make me laugh in much the same way as One Foot in the Grave  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I figured it was a risky one but it did make me laugh in much the same way as One Foot in the Grave  

An underrated all-time classic. Not for the catchphrase but for the existential malaise and surreal interactions the neighbour (not Angus Deayton) and  Mrs Warboys are brilliant supporting characters. The episode in which it turns out they had a kid is like an Alan Bennett play and the sting in the tail of the last episode is typical of the bleakness at the heart of the whole thing.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

An underrated all-time classic. Not for the catchphrase but for the existential malaise and surreal interactions the neighbour (not Angus Deayton) and  Mrs Warboys are brilliant supporting characters. The episode in which it turns out they had a kid is like an Alan Bennett play and the sting in the tail of the last episode is typical of the bleakness at the heart of the whole thing.  

Managed the rare feat of making a Christmas special involving a trip away ("One Foot in the Algarve") that was actually very funny. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

To accompany Stig's polls, here's where we own up to liking stuff that was never going to trouble the top 16.

I'm partial to...

Outnumbered 

Two Pints of Lager...

The earlier series of Not Going Out

Not Going Out isnt bad at all given the standard of modern sitcoms. That Two Pints of Lager thing though,absolute dogshite.

4 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yes, Minister. I know it was Thatcher's favourite show and written by right wing liberals so you are not allowed to like it, but it was brilliant and probably in the Top 5 British sitcoms ever. Top 3 even.

Brilliant comedy that.

4 hours ago, A Red said:

George & Mildred

Yes my dear

on the buses

till death us do part

sorry

George and Mildred rep. 

Sorry was decent as well. 

50 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Older ones:

Game on

Drop the dead donkey

Lead balloon 

Newer stuff:

White Gold

Lee and Dean

Friday night dinner

Breeders (only see two episodes so far..)

Only seen White Gold. Series one, not series 2. Not really amnesty material, in my opinion. It’s ok but not brilliant. The 1980s setting doesn’t feel very authentic.

7 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Last of the Summer Wine is the best sitcom of all time in my view.

I'm also partial to George and Mildred, which I'm sure won't make most peoples top 25-50 of all time.

George and Mildred was good, as was the series it was a spin off from, Man About the House. Sally Thomsett was a cutie back in the day.

Black Books is a favourite of mine.

No mentions for The Liver Birds on a Liverpool forum?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yes, Minister. I know it was Thatcher's favourite show and written by right wing liberals so you are not allowed to like it, but it was brilliant and probably in the Top 5 British sitcoms ever. Top 3 even.

I could never really get into it. Had nothing to do with it being a favourite of the tory government of the time as I liked satire,but that series was just a bit ordinary for me. 

Whoa

None of  Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, Man About the House, George and Mildred and Ever Decreasing Circles belong in here. They are all excellent.

Amnesty

Earlies series of Not Going Out before it went shit

Yus My Dear

Sorry

Oh No Its Selwyn Froggitt

The Odd Couple (2015)

Going On