You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Funniest UK Sitcom Of All Time - Round 1. The Royle Family vs Phoenix Nights

Bjornebye

The Funniest UK Sitcom Of All Time - Round 1.  

66 members have voted

1. 1. The Funniest UK Sitcom Of All Time - Round 1.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The Royle Family is another one that overstayed its welcome.  The Christmas specials were increasingly desperate.

Phoenix Nights had Kenny Dalglish, a song about binbags and a psychic calling someone a nonce. That's all I ask.

Don't forget the ping pong lady.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sir roger said:

I still do that high-pitched ' Stranraer , Stranraer , What's he doing in Stranraer ? ' whenever they get mentioned on Final Score.

I have the same situation with Penrith because of Withnail & I. If its said once, it has to be repeated at a louder volume and with a definite divide between the syllables.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The League of Gentlemen being omitted is the worst thing that’s happened on this forum for years. 

It's better than every comedy listed so far, though I'd only rate Partridge above it

8 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The League of Gentlemen being omitted is the worst thing that’s happened on this forum for years. 

The problem with League of Gentlemen is: is it really a sitcom? Coincidentally, I was trying to describe it to a guy in work the other day and I described it as somewhere between a sitcom and a sketch show. To be honest, I'm grand with it not being on this for that reason. 

I like both of these but I'd go Royle Family, though I do agree that some of the Christmas specials were absolute shite. 

7 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Phoenix Nights. "I know who you are, who are ya?"

Royle Family was ok, found it a bit maudlin in places though. I'm from a broken home so I can't really relate to all that family nostalgia business.

ETA : And I fucking hate Craig Cash. Cunt winds me up. That's why Early Doors can fuck off as well.

Early Doors is superb.

Is Red Dwarf in the contest?

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

No league of gentleman because like the fast show it’s not a sitcom. 

No early doors although I do love it. It just wasn’t on enough and no red dwarf because again, it’s a comedy tournament. 

You better believe that's a negging

• Upvote 1