You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nicol: Mo Salah is the most frustrating player in the Premier League

TLW

Steve Nicol has once again produced a harsh critique on one of Liverpool’s best players in Mo Salah.

There is little doubt the outstanding impact that the Egyptian star has made since been signed by the club in the summer of 2017.

That was illustrated when he scored his 70th goal in just his 100th appearance against Bournemouth to put his name well and truly among Liverpool’s elite.

But despite his outstanding feats, Nicol has regularly pointed out flaws in the game of Salah and has done so again.

The Mirror (via ESPN) reported the highly decorated former Reds full-back as saying:

“Winning is the deodorant of the game, but it covers all bad smells. Winning covers a lot of bad things.

“You can say it with Salah. 

"Salah’s form this season, is there a guy that frustrates you more in the Premier League or anyone else with the things he does in a game?

“Then all of a sudden he will produce something. 

“So you could say the same about him as well.

“But again, he plays every game and why? Because they win.”

salah7_600.jpg

In some quarters, Salah has been accused of being a selfish footballer, going it alone on too many occasions and wasting opportunities when teammates are in a better position.

It has led to unsubstantiated claims that he does not get on with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane and is looking to engineer a move to the continent.

While Nicol did not use those words in this context, he certainly alluded to the fact that he is a dispensable part of the starting lineup.

For the record, Salah has scored 16 goals and laid off six assists in the Premier League this season while adding another four goals and two assists in the Champions League.

While not at his incredible level of a couple of years ago, it is a pretty handy contribution to a successful side.

View full article

5 hours ago, TLW said:

Steve Nicol has once again produced a harsh critique on one of Liverpool’s best players in Mo Salah.

There is little doubt the outstanding impact that the Egyptian star has made since been signed by the club in the summer of 2017.

That was illustrated when he scored his 70th goal in just his 100th appearance against Bournemouth to put his name well and truly among Liverpool’s elite.

But despite his outstanding feats, Nicol has regularly pointed out flaws in the game of Salah and has done so again.

The Mirror (via ESPN) reported the highly decorated former Reds full-back as saying:

“Winning is the deodorant of the game, but it covers all bad smells. Winning covers a lot of bad things.

“You can say it with Salah. 

"Salah’s form this season, is there a guy that frustrates you more in the Premier League or anyone else with the things he does in a game?

“Then all of a sudden he will produce something. 

“So you could say the same about him as well.

“But again, he plays every game and why? Because they win.”

salah7_600.jpg

In some quarters, Salah has been accused of being a selfish footballer, going it alone on too many occasions and wasting opportunities when teammates are in a better position.

It has led to unsubstantiated claims that he does not get on with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane and is looking to engineer a move to the continent.

While Nicol did not use those words in this context, he certainly alluded to the fact that he is a dispensable part of the starting lineup.

For the record, Salah has scored 16 goals and laid off six assists in the Premier League this season while adding another four goals and two assists in the Champions League.

While not at his incredible level of a couple of years ago, it is a pretty handy contribution to a successful side.

View full article

The most frustrating player in the whole Premier League? Does he not watch the other 19 teams play?

3 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Yeh Steve Nicol. Superb footballer, really shit (and surprisingly bitter) pundit.

Not that surprising really most players of his era in the 80's even if they won a lot missed out on the big money in football from the 90's onwards - they see players who play at lower levels and nowhere near as good earning millions I'd say thats enough to make most people bitter.

This is what Souness said of him in 1985

This lad can play anywhere in the midfield or the back four. He can defend, tackle, he can head the ball, he can take players on and he can score goals and not only would it not surprise me if he eventually finished up in my old position at Liverpool but also I see him as a natural captain, lifting up the trophies for them as well. He is two footed and, talking of his feet, they are size twelve and make their presence felt. His only problem is that he is so honest and nice that he is easily wound up - and that can be fatal at Anfield. Stevie let himself in for a ribbing right from the start when he turned up for an away match at the team hotel with a teddy bear on top of his bag which read something like, 'I am sad Sam, will you cuddle me and love me and make me happy?'" Graeme Souness in 1985

And Kenny

nicolarrive.jpg

Kenny Dalglish on the above photograph of his fellow Scotsman: "I will never forget Steve Nicol's arrival in October 1981. Until then, the three Scots already at Anfield, Al, Graeme and me had been pretty well able to look after ourselves. We had built up an understanding that the Scots were the master race. We would quote historical facts to the English players to prove it. Some of the most important inventions and discoveries in the world came from from Scots, like television, the telephone, penicillin, the steam engine and tarmac. Their names are part of history - John Logie Baird, Alexander Graham Bell, Alexander Fleming, James Watt. Not to mention those other wonders of the world, golf and whisky.

Per heads of population, the Scots are the most educated race in the world. We did well defending ourselves and flying the flag of Scottish supremacy, until Nicol came. Everything we had built up, he destroyed in 10 minutes because of the photograph that was taken of him when he signed. There he was with a tammy on, a silly Liverpool scarf and sillier grin. Unbelievable. Stevie was a lovely guy, a real one-off. He made a great contribution to the success of Liverpool. We nicknamed him Chico after one of the Marx brothers."

I sort of agree in terms of finding him very frustrating to watch.

A lot of games we've won by the odd goal but have almost all the possession and we constantly get in dangerous attacking situations amd majority of the time it is because the attack breaks down when the ball gets to Salah. He is very careless on the ball.

I don't see how anyone can disagree with that. 

25 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

A lot of games we've won by the odd goal but have almost all the possession and we constantly get in dangerous attacking situations amd majority of the time it is because the attack breaks down when the ball gets to Salah. He is very careless on the ball.

Well you would say that with your username!

1 hour ago, ManéMan said:

Hi Sadio.