You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Van Dijk: Title win will not be an anti-climax

TLW

Virgil Van Dijk says the gloss of their looming Premier League triumph has not been erased despite the extraordinary circumstances that is happening before our very eyes.

The statement on Friday that the Premier League has been put on hold for the foreseeable future due to the rapid spread of the deadly coronavirus was not a surprise to many, but it is a case of the most unfortunate timing for a club like Liverpool who are on the cusp of monumental moment in the clubs illustrious history.

When success comes your way, there is always going to be those who are negative and look to take the shine from that achievement.

The comments of West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady saying that the season should be null and void were rightly taken to task.

Former Arsenal and England striker Alan Smith was not so strong in his sentiment, but he believed that a asterisk would be attached to this season through no fault of Liverpool.

In his piece for the Evening Standard, Smith wrote:

If Liverpool do eventually get crowned, it’s going to prove a massive anti-climax, so I can’t help but feel sorry for the captain Jordan Henderson, Sadio Mane, Mo Salah, Virgil van Dijk and all who deserve every plaudit going for a magnificent effort. 

“Their consistency of performance has been something to behold.

“More generally, the club is run with fantastic precision.

"The management, recruitment, attitude and ability have been fine tuned to an impressive degree.

"After years of hard work, it has all come together in spectacular fashion.

“Yet, the history books look set to include an important asterisk next to the 2019/20 season.

"This period will be remembered for a virulent bug rather than the club that came out on top.”

However Van Dijk disputed that theory saying it will be an extremely memorable moment.

The Sunday Mirror reported the talismanic defender as saying:

“Will it be an anti-climax? What do you think? 

“No! We should enjoy it even more because of the wait.

“To win the league here is something that we can all be remembered for and will be remembered for.

“We should just go for it and we are very close now. Just enjoy it.”

“We don’t play for records, we play for trophies.

"I have been here now almost two-and-a-half years and been very blessed and happy to have experienced two Champions League finals.

“We won one of them and I was very close to the Premier League title last year and now very close to the Premier League this year.

"Obviously you want to deliver the Premier League to this club.

"It has been so long I wasn’t even born and is something the club is definitely hungry for.

”So let’s just go for it and see what happens in the next weeks and months and be positive.”

vandijk3_600.jpg

Rightly seen as one of the outstanding players of this current era , Van Dijk is not someone to forget the hardships he has had to overcome to get to this moment.

“I don’t take my personal journey for granted at all and it makes it special for me and my family and it will always be. It is why it is easy for me to deal with pressure.

“I have been young and playing in lower league teams in Holland and coming to the Premier League and winning it will be outstanding.

“The same goes for winning the PFA Player of the Year last year and UEFA Player of the Year.

“Those moments will be up there are well, but that said I won’t take anything for granted.

“Coming from where I have in football, through Willem 11 to Groningen and then on to Celtic before Southampton and Liverpool, of course it will make it mean more.

When that magic moment finally arrives, Van Dijk knows who he will dedicate it to.

"My wife and kids, I guess They sacrifice so much day in and day out.

"What they do for me and our life is incredible and are a big part of my success and I remind them every day of that.”

View full article

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stickman said:

Alan Smith is a virulent bug who should have an asterisk next to his name that should then read pointless cunt.

I think you should say what you really think rather than beat around the bush 

13 minutes ago, Thoth said:

I think you should say what you really think rather than beat around the bush 

Haha...I've heard his breath stinks too....

I'm actually happy to have an asterisk next to our name as long as Man City do for every trophy they've won since 2012 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Alan Smith is a grade 1 cunt who hates us and will do anything to downgrade any achievement this club does , Its not complicated people .

This.

Sky seem to have cornered the market on those who begrudge our club anything.

Thankfully the rest of the media is all Pro-Liverpool.

What?..

• Upvote 1

“ It won’t be the same if we’re awarded it ‘ 

“ I would rather not win it this way “ 

“ there will always be asterisk “ What this has to do with a French midget is beyond me.

Well my friend we are miles ahead in a League we have totally dominated since August. We are over a quarter of the way through, no one was getting any closer to us. Give it to us or wait to restart whenever that may be.

” it’s the only fair way “   I digress, it seems the farthest from fair to me and most other fans who don’t just blindly hate Liverpool FC.

Was there an asterisk against Inter's first Serie A titles in 2005 and 2006 after Juve and other clubs where heavily punished with points deductions and relegation over the corruption scandal in Italy?

There's so much bollocks and hypocrisy talked by these so called experts.

Edit to add, and IF there's an asterisk against us this season, it will be the same for every National title winner in Europe so we wont be the odd club standing out like a sore thumb.

If they award the title to us on the basis of the league as it is today we should insist on three asterisks to reflect the fact that nobody in any top league in the history of the game will have achieved an equivalent points total. 

they can shit talk all they want about how we win the league but they wont be able to change the fact we will be champions this year. Yeah it takes abit of the shine off of it but peoples health and staying alive comes over football.

they can put an asterisk by it they can highlight it with green and  pink spots for all i care the fact remains it will say Liverpool champions 19/20 is all that matters 

Im pretty certain the season will not be declared null and void. Brady's a cunt for running with this and so is Levy if the reports spurs support that position are true.

But it's classic go in with your worst case position so you can soften your stance if you get offered concessions such as no relegation this season. Then hope to rebuild in the next transfer window such that you're well out of the relegation fight 'next' season.

Most of the papers are talking worst case scenario too but, Hudson Odoi says he's recovered, Arteta's missus is saying he still felt ok and wouldnt normally have stopped off work. Mendy's relative is in the clear as well. If everton's player and team are cleared plus other clubs report players in the clear then there's momentum getting going to at least restart the season on or after 4 April even if its behind closed doors. Time will tell though I guess.