You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Liverpool to be crowned champions with a expanded Premier League proposed for the 2020/21 season

TLW

4 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

You could televise a match without a huge media presence. Half the number of cameras (or even fewer) than normal, commentate from a remote studio. Practically no police or security staff needed, bare bones playing and training staff.

i don’t see why it would need an army of people. I’d guess somewhere in the region of 60-80 people all told could get it done.

theres way more than that number in our multi-tenanted office every day at the moment.

I doubt the media, or most of the media, would accept that. Commercially, they're already taking a hit because of so many sporting cancellations (and the debates have already started about the possibility of partial refunds for subscribers during this period), so I doubt they'd agree to limitations that would affect their output. It would certainly be a three figure number even if they did, and there's a lot more who would need to be working in the stadium. At the highest level I don't think it would be anywhere near as simple as some have made out.

26 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I see that idiot Karren Brady is arguing for the season to be declared null and void. Handy for West Ham if it was, eh? That option would create the kind of legal wrangling that up to now has only been witnessed inside Neil Warnock's head.

On Sky this morning they spoke to that guy from the Anfield Wrap. He was asked about Brady and he said something like ‘I’m not surprised she always talks rubbish!’

Was in the ale house last night - was chocker.....handling money, being given change that had obviously been other peoples before hand.. etc.

Was on a tube train - was chocker.

Went to work in an office yesterday that has 600 people in it using lifts, communal eating areas, shared toilets etc

How is staging PL football matches behind closed doors any more risky than any of those things thay I and millions are doing every day?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I doubt the media, or most of the media, would accept that. Commercially, they're already taking a hit because of so many sporting cancellations (and the debates have already started about the possibility of partial refunds for subscribers during this period), so I doubt they'd agree to limitations that would affect their output. It would certainly be a three figure number even if they did, and there's a lot more who would need to be working in the stadium. At the highest level I don't think it would be anywhere near as simple as some have made out.

That's what's happening with the UFC at the moment. Events happening in a empty arena. No press, no fans

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Id rather they voided the season and we just won it next season than be handed it without winning it mathematically. 

Yeah - Don't want to be handed a title that hasn't been won mathematically.

It is gonna be disappointing and such a shame to see it awarded even when actually won behind closed doors, with none of the euphoria amd the scenes that go with it to recall forever....but at least we'd have won it.

But being handed it in a fucking meeting of PL suits - fuck that.

Probably the fairest outcome in the circumstances. Of course oppo fans will try to say it's a "fake" PL etc but that in some ways would make it funnier. It has to be acknowledged, that's the main thing.

It's also probably highly likely the CL will be binned, meaning we'd stay the holders, which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Yeah - Don't want to be handed a title that hasn't been won mathematically.

It is gonna be disappointing and such a shame to see it awarded even when actually won behind closed doors, with none of the euphoria amd the scenes that go with it to recall forever....but at least we'd have won it.

But being handed it in a fucking meeting of PL suits - fuck that.

Look it isn't ideal but would you rather that or the whole thing is voided when we're 6 points off?

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Id rather they voided the season and we just won it next season than be handed it without winning it mathematically. 

That's cobblers Stig , we've won the fucker, even the other teams realise this. I hope we win it next season but there is no guarantee whatsoever. I am desperate to win the league in any way, shape or form and the virus can happily kill me then.

And never mind the team's efforts, what about the blood, sweat and tears behind all of your game threads being voided.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

That's cobblers Stig , we've won the fucker, even the other teams realise this. I hope we win it next season but there is no guarantee whatsoever. I am desperate to win the league in any way, shape or form and the virus can happily kill me then.

Its not cobblers. I want that air punching euphoric moment of orgasmic relief. Not a floppy slow wank over janice battersby. 

The Brighton chairman has said he thinks it's unlikely the league will restart in April with health officials thinking the peak is 8/10 weeks away. But has said not declaring us champions would be unjust as most clubs acknowledge the season we have had, but it would be unfair to relegate teams with so many games to go. So the league may end with no relegation and the top two getting promoted and 4 teams relegated next year with only to promoted again. 

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its not cobblers. I want that air punching euphoric moment of orgasmic relief. Not a floppy slow wank over janice battersby. 

If we win it next year you will have that anyway. Whether we are given this title or not. Truth is we are not being given anything we've already earned it.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

Look it isn't ideal but would you rather that or the whole thing is voided when we're 6 points off?

I don't like idea of being given something we haven't really won....and frankly i see no reason we can't just go on and get it won, if that means behind closed doors later in the year so be it.

I want it won and forever burned into history as the most dominant, widest, record breaking title win ever.

One nobody can argue with, cast even a tiny shadow of doubt on...i want 30 years of waiting to be released in glorious triumph and to shove all the taunts back down everybody elses throats....i then wanna drink for days and days on end celebrating the greatest title win ever.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't like idea of being given something we haven't really won....and frankly i see no reason we can't just go on and get it won, if that means behind closed doors later in the year so be it.

I agree with the second part... cancelling all sports events even those behind closed doors just seems like being seen to be doing something especially with pubs, public transport etc still full of people.

But for me the idea of it being chalked off completely doesn't bear thinking about. We'd go from one of the great seasons with what a lot of people were saying is one of the best Liverpool sides ever to trophyless and mentally broken as a football club (for god knows how long) in the matter of a couple of weeks.

Maybe getting awarded a title for an incomplete season is a bit of a damp squib but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I want it won and forever burned into history as the most dominant, widest, record breaking title win ever.

One nobody can argue with, cast even a tiny shadow of doubt on...i want 30 years of waiting to be released in glorious triumph and to shove all the taunts back down everybody elses throats....i then wanna drink for days and days on end celebrating the greatest title win ever.

Yep this. 

51 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

Insane idea.

It's a shit end but not wanting the players or club to have this season rewarded is fucking lunacy. Of course we were going to win it. No one anywhere in the world genuinely thinks otherwise.

17 minutes ago, DirkDiggledinho said:

I agree with the second part... cancelling all sports events even those behind closed doors just seems like being seen to be doing something especially with pubs, public transport etc still full of people.

But for me the idea of it being chalked off completely doesn't bear thinking about. We'd go from one of the great seasons with what a lot of people were saying is one of the best Liverpool sides ever to trophyless and mentally broken as a football club (for god knows how long) in the matter of a couple of weeks.

Maybe getting awarded a title for an incomplete season is a bit of a damp squib but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative.

I see no reason why can't play on and hopefully we will.

The closed doors issue is more around the strain on services, ambulances, police etc than it is people getting this virus at the match IMO....as we say pubs, trains etc are chocker - people are working etc.

But closed doors if it has to happen should be easy enough - i'd even suggest maybe the players/staff go into quarantine to ensure all are healthy to play...they get paid astronomical amounts of money so giving up a month say of doing that is hardly a big ask IMO.

Bob Paisley said he would sweep the streets around Anfield if LFC asked him to, these players on millions of pounds a year can go into isolation/play/back to isolation for a month to win LFC a title IMO.

6 minutes ago, aws said:

We've earned it so should take it no matter how it comes then win it again next season. 

This. Plus imagine what a blow it would be to those players who’ve put all that effort in. Fuck that. We’ll take it, thank you very much. 

• Upvote 3