You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Atletico Madrid 3 (Mar 11 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

It’s hard to wrap my head around this one. To play as well as that and not only go out, but to actually somehow lose the game, it’s hard to believe. Ultimately it was a tale of two keepers. They had one of the best in the world and we didn’t.

The performance was everything we wanted and the only thing lacking was that we couldn’t get the second goal in normal time. It wasn’t for the want of trying. We had chances but we had to work really fucking hard for them. Atletico didn’t buckle or wilt under the intense pressure they were put under by our team and the crowd.

They stood firm and made us fight for everything. And fight we did. We threw everything at them and every outfield player was bang at it. We couldn’t have asked for more and this game had so many ingredients that you’d normally have in one of those legendary Anfield nights. 

For instance, if we’d come away with the result we deserved then we’d be talking about the performances of the likes of Wijnaldum and Oxlade-Chamberlain for a long time to come. We didn’t get the result we deserved though because shit happens, especially when you don’t have a reliable ‘keeper.

It’s one of those things. I just think we were unlucky as nine times out of ten we go through with that performance. This was the one in ten where we didn’t but we can’t complain too much after the run we’ve had in Europe under Klopp. 

In four years of playing in Europe under Klopp this was the first time we’d lost a two legged tie. It was always going to happen eventually, and unfortunately we came up against the most awkward bastards in Europe.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Well, I calmed down today as the day went on, but the way we lost was a fucking sickener. I was confident if we’d gotten through this one we could go all the way again. As usual Dave, you cover all the bases and I’m taking heart from your point of view at the end - yep, we’ll be back - and we owe these scummers as well as Napoli...

• Upvote 1

Good point about conceding their first goal so soon after we'd gone in front in the tie.  It'a vulnerability that was obvious a couple of years ago, so it was disappointing to see it resurface just when we least needed it to. As for the tie overall, we put ourselves in great difficulty after the terrible performance in the first leg.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

Macca on comms does my head in when he calls Gini either 'Gino' or worse, 'Gigi'. He's the only one who does it.

And saying we should laugh at Costa throwing the ball away and being a shithouse. The Gigi thing is weird.

At least I could press mute though

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Sherman said:

You didn't mention the substitutions which I thought were strange. The Ox was brilliant and didn't deserve to come off although Milner was great when he came on. However, bringing on a totally off form defensive midfielder and Origi on the left totally killed us.

Sick of talking about Origi on the left. I'm even boring myself now. Fabinho for Hendo was fair enough as Hendo is only back from a hammy and had played 105 mins. I didn't think Ox should have been subbed but he doesn't often play 90 mins does he? 

31 minutes ago, bigal said:

Trent giving away a stupid freekick at the end which led to their offside goal, needs to cut that out

I was actually calling for him to foul the lad because we were short handed and I was worried if he was beaten we were in deep shit.

Someone has to account for the fact that while we have the best keeper in the world as our number 1 the number 2 is a guy who could not get into a shit WestHam team and was training with a Spanish non league outfit. How can that be right?

I don't want to go over the top on this because i have never seen this team play better. I am an older guy so i lived through the heydays of the 70's and 80's but i love this team better. I just do. Everything about them...except for the ludicrous drop off between the brilliance of our First choice and  the support act.

It would be like going to see the Rolling Stones and finding out that fucking Bon Jovi had replaced them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, index1000 said:

Someone has to account for the fact that while we have the best keeper in the world as our number 1 the number 2 is a guy who could not get into a shit WestHam team and was training with a Spanish non league outfit. How can that be right?

I don't want to go over the top on this because i have never seen this team play better. I am an older guy so i lived through the heydays of the 70's and 80's but i love this team better. I just do. Everything about them...except for the ludicrous drop off between the brilliance of our First choice and  the support act.

It would be like going to see the Rolling Stones and finding out that fucking Bon Jovi had replaced them.

Bon Jovi replacing the Stones was more us signing Alisson and jibbing Karius.

Negged, obviously.

Great report Dave. Your views on our matches, and the general way of things, are basically the same as mine, but your brilliance is the way you put it all down in these reports. Your insight and way of explaining events, sorting all the jumble of emotions after a mental game like that, I dunno, just makes me feel better after reading them. Win, lose or draw, they are well worth the fee.

I was thinking watching the build up that pundits have been quite harsh on Adrian the last couple of games, I thought he'd done ok apart from the fuck up in the cup.

Doh.

• Upvote 1

Top report Dave, totally agree.

It’s clear we did not handle well that winter break, maybe we would have peaked physically later but we fucked up. Even though we played well yesterday, we had a not so good month. 

This exit also stresses how great the run has been the past two years in Europe , like the defeat at Watford proved how outstanding the run was in the PL. 

I have always thought our   run was under rated, it was always about the next record or the treble or the invincible. 

Win the next two games when we actually play them, and we could then enjoy for a long long time. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic