You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe Reina

redinblack62

3 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Yeah no debate that Mignolet was awful, more so just highlighting that at the time I think it was pretty widely considered that we needed a new keeper, we just fucked up the recruitment of the next one. Reina went out on loan to Napoli was it? He then spent most of the following seasons on Bayern's or a very poor A.C. Milan's bench. He wasn't good enough to be a number 1 'keeper for a top side anymore, I think that's pretty fairly evidenced because none came in for him. Would he have been a more able deputy for Alisson than Karius in 2018? That probably goes without question ..

Reina was Napoli’s first choice keeper in every season he was there.

He was second choice behind Neuer at Bayern, probably got good money, won some titles, got another stab at the CL and experienced another culture.

Why not? 

59A7454E-AF45-49FC-B206-C614B7DA14CE.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Code said:

In the same game he almost did a Pickford from a terrible shot from around 25 m out.

If you took a shot from outside the box against the clown we bought from Sunderland, it was almost a guarenteed goal.

Reina saved more shots from outside the box almost every season, than what Mignolet did in his Liverpool career all together.

Fuckin abysmal keeper, on par with the fuckin useles fraud that bought him. Fuck them both.

This is the sort of bollocks that gets parroted because Reina happens to fall into your cannot be criticised box of players.  Mignolet made fuck ups but was a solid shot stopper most of the time specifically for shots outside of the box It’s just that he didn’t tend to face them a lot.  We played a different type of football in Mignolets period which placed a lot pressure on the defence to not fuck up.  Most of the goals he conceded were clear chances because of the open football Rodgers played.

The majority of Reina’s Liverpool career coincided with with extreme defensive shithouse tactics that suits goalkeepers.  Sides are forced to take unnecessary potshots which stat pad keepers.  It makes your stats as usual completely pointless. It would be like me saying in 2012/2013 Mignolet saved twice as many shots as Reina and caught the ball far more times also.

People love slagging Rodgers off but it would have been a far harder job for Klopp had he taken over a manager who didn’t play the way Rodgers did.

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, The Guest said:

I don’t know why people try to revise history like this all the time.  So many people get so defensive about players that used to be good.  The clubs form took an upward curve because we signed Coutinho and Sturridge.  Reina was still shite, conceding goals pretty much every time a half decent shot went at him.  It was a running joke how often he was beaten at his front post.

Mignolet saved a pen in his first league game to win us it in the last few minutes.  Reina hadn’t saved a pen for years.  It set us on the road that season which turned out to be a pretty good one for Mignolet.  People still had their nose out of joint at the time because they wanted Rafa back to bore us into a miserable mid table finish playing Suarez at right back and Reina throwing it in his own net every week.  Mignolet didn’t turn out to be great or anywhere near Reina’s best but he was far better than Reina’s worst which is what we had been seeing for years.  We’d have never been in a title race had he been in goal.

Revise history, my hoop! Reina's form clearly improved in the second half of 2012/13; it's just daft to deny it. He made plenty of saves which (surprise, surprise) had nothing to do with Sturridge or Coutinho. 

He went from world class for a few seasons, to definitely iffy for about 18 months, to average Premier League standard for 6 months. He had improved and was improving.

As for that penalty against Stoke, as much as I enjoyed it at the time, it was more of a shit penalty (from a shit player with a record of shit penalties) than a good save. You or I could have saved it. Reina certainly would. 

That last sentence is pure nonsense.  Do you think 2013/14 was built on solid defence and fiercely-guarded clean sheets? Or do you think it would be more honest to admit that Mignolet conceded a fuck-ton of goals?

5 hours ago, The Guest said:

This is the sort of bollocks that gets parroted because Reina happens to fall into your cannot be criticised box of players.  Mignolet made fuck ups but was a solid shot stopper most of the time specifically for shots outside of the box It’s just that he didn’t tend to face them a lot.  We played a different type of football in Mignolets period which placed a lot pressure on the defence to not fuck up.  Most of the goals he conceded were clear chances because of the open football Rodgers played.

The majority of Reina’s Liverpool career coincided with with extreme defensive shithouse tactics that suits goalkeepers.  Sides are forced to take unnecessary potshots which stat pad keepers.  It makes your stats as usual completely pointless. It would be like me saying in 2012/2013 Mignolet saved twice as many shots as Reina and caught the ball far more times also.

People love slagging Rodgers off but it would have been a far harder job for Klopp had he taken over a manager who didn’t play the way Rodgers did.

Mignolet was shite and his best was barely above Reina's worst. Reina was solid for a lot of his time at the club,Mignolet was never more than one game away from a terrible cock up. It was Rodgers fault too as he bought a keeper with appalling distribution to play behind a team that was based on playing out from the back. It was absolutely bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont even rate (Reina) in the top 4 all time Liverpool keepers.

Steady on. We’ve had a handful of very good keepers who, fortunately, in some cases spent many years with us. But who’s your top four then? Clemence and Bruce I assume, plus the handsome bastard we currently have. But who else in living memory was better than Reina? Dudek was mixed, and his best was inferior to Reina’s peak. Mignolet was a downgrade from Reina, James was a liability, Westerveld was very highly rated (by Westerveld), and past that I’m struggling to think of anyone who isn’t Karius...

8 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Steady on. We’ve had a handful of very good keepers who, fortunately, in some cases spent many years with us. But who’s your top four then? Clemence and Bruce I assume, plus the handsome bastard we currently have. But who else in living memory was better than Reina? Dudek was mixed, and his best was inferior to Reina’s peak. Mignolet was a downgrade from Reina, James was a liability, Westerveld was very highly rated (by Westerveld), and past that I’m struggling to think of anyone who isn’t Karius...

Tommy Lawrence?

59 minutes ago, Ron B said:

I’ll happily take that suggestion - from anyone who has ever seen him play. But he last played for us 50 years ago which rules out ‘living memory’ for many of us.

The original post was made by dockers_strike who has previously mentioned watching the 60s Liverpool teams. There are still plenty of reds around who watched us live back then.

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The original post was made by dockers_strike who has previously mentioned watching the 60s Liverpool teams. There are still plenty of reds around who watched us live back then.

My Dad said Tommy Lawrence was decent but Clemence was a massive upgrade.

• Upvote 1