You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe Reina

redinblack62

23 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Sturridge and Coutinho only signed in January that season so that skews it slightly. 

What does this prove?

Who voted?

In his final season I can only remember him waving shots into the net that he couldnt bother his arse diving for.

He might have been a nice chap but when we got rid he was rubbish.

8 hours ago, redinblack62 said:

What does this prove?

Who voted?

In his final season I can only remember him waving shots into the net that he couldnt bother his arse diving for.

He might have been a nice chap but when we got rid he was rubbish.

People on here and elsewhere voted match by match, so Reina had twice as many games roughly to get votes. 

On 10/03/2020 at 11:14, dockers_strike said:

Bang on. Id put him 4th in our list of great keepers behind Clem, Brucie and Lawrence and that's before you consider Alisson.

So 5th then. 

6th when you consider Scott.

Maybe 7th behind Jerzy just on the basis of Istanbul.

• 3 months later...

Actually come out against the cancerous ownership of this club when it mattered.

Not when it was convenient, en vogue, or when Ricky Tomlinson and other big match beauts did, but when it cost him something.

He was a proper Liverpool player in terms of skill and character. It's a shame his trophy cabinet doesn't reflect it, because he was the best goalkeeper in the world for 3 years and the best we had seen from '81 until August 2018.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

On 05/07/2020 at 19:21, Kevin D said:

Actually come out against the cancerous ownership of this club when it mattered.

Not when it was convenient, en vogue, or when Ricky Tomlinson and other big match beauts did, but when it cost him something.

He was a proper Liverpool player in terms of skill and character. It's a shame his trophy cabinet doesn't reflect it, because he was the best goalkeeper in the world for 3 years and the best we had seen from '81 until August 2018.

Yes,he was a very solid goalkeeper in his first few seasons under Rafa. The fact that Alisson is already considerably better than Reina ever was is testament to Alisson's brilliance.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes,he was a very solid goalkeeper in his first few seasons under Rafa. The fact that Alisson is already considerably better than Reina ever was is testament to Alisson's brilliance.

Alison is absolutely boss.

He just stopped saving things, and if I recall correctly didn't save a penalty again after the 2007 CL Semi Final.

His problem also was that he was behind one of the greatest goalkeepers of the generation in Iker Casillas so was never really able to rise to the level that Allison has done whilst at Liverpool. Although he was clearly well thought of. 

On his day he was absolutely brilliant, more error prone than Allison, and unfortunately whether it was himself or the impact of circumstances around him, he just became a little bit shit.

Also I am now viewing Reina in the context of the greatest goalkeeper I've ever seen and in my opinion unquestionable the best goal keeper in Europe in AB. 

Still love him though, wish he got an ovation this week.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He was absolutely shocking at the end.  As error prone as Mignolet was he was a far better keeper at that point.  Reina had empty crisp packets for hands those final 2 or 3 seasons at the club.

Nah. He was shocking up until about 6 months before the end.  He then improved markedly. His shot-stopping was at least as good as Mig's and his distribution was infinitely superior, which would have made him a great asset for that 2013/14 team.

32 minutes ago, The Guest said:

He was absolutely shocking at the end.  As error prone as Mignolet was he was a far better keeper at that point.  Reina had empty crisp packets for hands those final 2 or 3 seasons at the club.

This. He was actually shocking in the Gerrard FA Cup Final (apart from the pens), spilled that shot for Ramires' opening goal in Kenny's FA Cup final, spilled that one from 25 yards against Hearts in the Europa League, the massive fuck up performance against the shite at woodison etc. Mig would rightly get slaughtered for any of those.

I dont even rate him in the top 4 all time Liverpool keepers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Guest Alex_K

Mignolet saved a penalty at home on his debut in the league. I distinctly remember the euphoria of thinking we may well have a half decent keeper again. Of course, that would be very short lived, but I really don't think anyone during that summer or at that time was ruing Reina's departure -- as others have said he'd been a shadow of his early self for a while.

That video is a bit sad in its own right. Not so much because its Reina personally, but as a commentary on the transience of a footballer's career. From dancing on the stage singing to hundreds of thousands in Madrid celebrating Spain's world cup with Torres, Villa et al to something of a dad-dance all alone with those brummy Villa no marks. Here today, gone tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Nah. He was shocking up until about 6 months before the end.  He then improved markedly. His shot-stopping was at least as good as Mig's and his distribution was infinitely superior, which would have made him a great asset for that 2013/14 team.

I don’t know why people try to revise history like this all the time.  So many people get so defensive about players that used to be good.  The clubs form took an upward curve because we signed Coutinho and Sturridge.  Reina was still shite, conceding goals pretty much every time a half decent shot went at him.  It was a running joke how often he was beaten at his front post.

Mignolet saved a pen in his first league game to win us it in the last few minutes.  Reina hadn’t saved a pen for years.  It set us on the road that season which turned out to be a pretty good one for Mignolet.  People still had their nose out of joint at the time because they wanted Rafa back to bore us into a miserable mid table finish playing Suarez at right back and Reina throwing it in his own net every week.  Mignolet didn’t turn out to be great or anywhere near Reina’s best but he was far better than Reina’s worst which is what we had been seeing for years.  We’d have never been in a title race had he been in goal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Mignolet saved a penalty at home on his debut in the league. I distinctly remember the euphoria of thinking we may well have a half decent keeper again. Of course, that would be very short lived, but I really don't think anyone during that summer or at that time was ruing Reina's departure -- as others have said he'd been a shadow of his early self for a while.

That video is a bit sad in its own right. Not so much because its Reina personally, but as a commentary on the transience of a footballer's career. From dancing on the stage singing to hundreds of thousands in Madrid celebrating Spain's world cup with Torres, Villa et al to something of a dad-dance all alone with those brummy Villa no marks. Here today, gone tomorrow.

In the same game he almost did a Pickford from a terrible shot from around 25 m out.

If you took a shot from outside the box against the clown we bought from Sunderland, it was almost a guarenteed goal.

Reina saved more shots from outside the box almost every season, than what Mignolet did in his Liverpool career all together.

Fuckin abysmal keeper, on par with the fuckin useles fraud that bought him. Fuck them both.

• Upvote 2

Guest Alex_K
5 minutes ago, Code said:

In the same game he almost did a Pickford from a terrible shot from around 25 m out.

If you took a shot from outside the box against the clown we bought from Sunderland it was almost a guarenteed goal.

Reina saved more shots from outside the box almost every season than Mignolet did in his Liverpool caeer together.

Fuckin abysmal keeper, on par with the fuckin fraud that bought him. Fuck them both.

Yeah no debate that Mignolet was awful, more so just highlighting that at the time I think it was pretty widely considered that we needed a new keeper, we just fucked up the recruitment of the next one. Reina went out on loan to Napoli was it? He then spent most of the following seasons on Bayern's or a very poor A.C. Milan's bench. He wasn't good enough to be a number 1 'keeper for a top side anymore, I think that's pretty fairly evidenced because none came in for him. Would he have been a more able deputy for Alisson than Karius in 2018? That probably goes without question ..