You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe Reina

redinblack62

Pepe Reina is a bit of a paradox. 

There is a thing in football where if a player starts well, people think any mistakes a few months down the line are the exception and not the norm.  Conversely, if you start poorly, even just for a few games, it can take a full season of excellent performances before people accept you’re good, and of course, some will never accept you’re good. Reina is in the former category.  He started well. He had some great games. He had a great personality and so that forgives a lot of things in fans eyes too.  But he was making horrendous mistakes.  Just look at one of his most celebrated moments – the 2006 FA Cup Final – a desperate error for West Hams first goal, and then allows a cross loop over him and in for their third goal.  A terrible performance with what could have been career defining mistakes in a major Cup Final had we lost, but it’s never spoken of because he saved some vital saves in the shoot-out and we won.  As our play got worse and worse as the good players left, Reina also found his mistakes becoming more regular, and the usual ones came to the fore as we didn’t have the players to win it 2-1 And instead lost or drew the games, thus shining a light on Reinas mistakes.

He was a good ‘keeper for us., but I think he’s held in a lot higher esteem then he deserves if I’m honest.  Having said all that, I hope the Villa game isn’t behind closed doors because I’d love to see him get a huge ovation. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

There is a thing in football where if a player starts well, people think any mistakes a few months down the line are the exception and not the norm.  Conversely, if you start poorly, even just for a few games, it can take a full season of excellent performances before people accept you’re good, and of course, some will never accept you’re good. Reina is in the former category.  He started well. He had some great games. He had a great personality and so that forgives a lot of things in fans eyes too.  But he was making horrendous mistakes.  Just look at one of his most celebrated moments – the 2006 FA Cup Final – a desperate error for West Hams first goal, and then allows a cross loop over him and in for their third goal.  A terrible performance with what could have been career defining mistakes in a major Cup Final had we lost, but it’s never spoken of because he saved some vital saves in the shoot-out and we won.  As our play got worse and worse as the good players left, Reina also found his mistakes becoming more regular, and the usual ones came to the fore as we didn’t have the players to win it 2-1 And instead lost or drew the games, thus shining a light on Reinas mistakes.

He was a good ‘keeper for us., but I think he’s held in a lot higher esteem then he deserves if I’m honest.  Having said all that, I hope the Villa game isn’t behind closed doors because I’d love to see him get a huge ovation. 

Bang on. Id put him 4th in our list of great keepers behind Clem, Brucie and Lawrence and that's before you consider Alisson.

14 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If what he's done is help relegate Villa, then I salute the beautiful baldy bastard. 

and thanks for the 9/1 on Barnes.

plus that Blue Manc clown Ederson Sunday giving me a 7/1 on Martial - then us only needing 2 wins.

i too salute them both

• Upvote 1

He made a hell of a lot of high profile errors in his last 3-4 years at the club. I remember a howler v Chelsea in  CL in (I think) 2009, and of course the 2012 cup final. 

My dad was trying to convince me the other week that we'd have won the league with him in 13/14. I won't have that - he was a busted flush by 2011, having been a brilliant keeper for his first 3 years at the club. It's sad to see him like this.

27 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

He made a hell of a lot of high profile errors in his last 3-4 years at the club. I remember a howler v Chelsea in  CL in (I think) 2009, and of course the 2012 cup final. 

My dad was trying to convince me the other week that we'd have won the league with him in 13/14. I won't have that - he was a busted flush by 2011, having been a brilliant keeper for his first 3 years at the club. It's sad to see him like this.

I'm with your dad on that. He* was getting back to decent form in 12/13; better than Mignolet, at least. 

*Reina, not your dad.

13 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

What a load of absolute shite.

Guest Alex_K

First goal conceded in the Cup was that mad Carragher lunge. Reina was a very good 'keeper for a number of years; like many before him he peaked and had an extended trough. He's been playing for 20 years - time to hang the gloves up at this level. He's been a mediocre player (relative to his performance before that) for going on 10 years now.

10 hours ago, Code said:

What a load of absolute shite.

A sensible, coherent and cogent argument.  You've really made me think.

8 hours ago, Alex_K said:

First goal conceded in the Cup was that mad Carragher lunge. Reina was a very good 'keeper for a number of years; like many before him he peaked and had an extended trough. He's been playing for 20 years - time to hang the gloves up at this level. He's been a mediocre player (relative to his performance before that) for going on 10 years now.

Correct, my apologies.  The 2nd and 3rd goals were the desperately poor errors (especially the 2nd goal).

Reina was an extremely good goalkeeper for a couple of seasons,an upgrade on Dudek at the time,but his form left him quite spectacularly. He still wasn't as bad as some have said but he suffered a noticeable decline and never really recovered from it,in England at least. It seems he was competent once again under Rafa at Napoli but I suspect things started to unravel for him at the end of that stint and a serious lack of regular appearances at the top of European football has indicated how others view him now. I have no idea why Villa took him,injury crisis maybe? But he is a shadow of his former better self and should have hung his gloves up a season or two back. It's a shame to see him being made a fool of given his stature in the game. Like old fighters,some players never know when to give up.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Reina was an extremely good goalkeeper for a couple of seasons,an upgrade on Dudek at the time,but his form left him quite spectacularly. He still wasn't as bad as some have said but he suffered a noticeable decline and never really recovered from it,in England at least. It seems he was competent once again under Rafa at Napoli but I suspect things started to unravel for him at the end of that stint and a serious lack of regular appearances at the top of European football has indicated how others view him now. I have no idea why Villa took him,injury crisis maybe? But he is a shadow of his former better self and should have hung his gloves up a season or two back. It's a shame to see him being made a fool of given his stature in the game. Like old fighters,some players never know when to give up.

Dudek was extremely good for a couple of seasons, but that United game just seemed to destroy him. Chris Kirkland was a lost opportunity, his injuries did for him but I thought he would be a stayer for us.

On 12/03/2020 at 01:00, El Rojo said:

I’d have Mignolet back before Reina. People have different views on how he played for us back in the day, but he’s truly awful now. 

Hes almost 40 years old, Villa’s second keeper is a much better keeper.

Reina was superb for us, probably our best player before Rodgers sold him.

8 minutes ago, Code said:

Hes almost 40 years old, Villa’s second keeper is a much better keeper.

Reina was superb for us, probably our best player before Rodgers sold him.

Haha! Madness. Did we not have Suarez, Coutinho and Gerrard then? 

He was great when he first joined us, but after a while only great at being a party-organiser for a Spanish national side he was second or third choice for. 

56 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Haha! Madness. Did we not have Suarez, Coutinho and Gerrard then? 

He was great when he first joined us, but after a while only great at being a party-organiser for a Spanish national side he was second or third choice for. 

Not saying this is  proof or anything but its certainly an indicator.

A keeper finishing 4th has had a pretty good season, no ifs or buts about it.

AD2BD9F4-5828-4AB2-95F5-78E14A31F260.png