You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wilson: I will have to make a decision on my future 

TLW

Harry Wilson admits he will soon have to make a tough decision regarding the next step in his football career.

The Welsh international’s star has been on the rise over the last two seasons as he was a pivotal part of Frank Lampard’s Derby side which fell agonisingly short of a Premier League return.

While there was was talk that Jürgen Klopp may have seen fit to use him as part of the first team squad, the decision was made in the off-season for the midfielder to get some Premier League experience and that club was Bournemouth.

While it has been a tough campaign for the south coast outfit, the 22 year-old has thrived in the step-up in class scoring seven goals in the league including a double against Tottenham and hitting the back of the net against local rivals Brighton and Southampton.

The midfielder has really enjoyed the challenges which come with playing in one of the best leagues in World Football.

However he knows how important the next step is.

image.png

The Mirror reported Wilson as saying: 

“I feel I’ve got that decision to make in the summer.

“This season has been really positive as well. 

“I’m finally in the Premier League which I’ve worked towards.

“In the summer I’ll be concentrating on Wales, but once that’s done with I feel I may have a decision to make.

Making the big step from under-age to senior football is always a daunting prospect for a youngster and Wilson was no different. 

“I’ve always had belief in myself. 

“My first loan spell I was 18.

'I went to Crewe, and I felt I’d scored all these goals for Liverpool’s youth teams and I’d go to League One and it would be the same.

“I quickly found out that it wasn’t. It took me to come back, captain the U23 side for a year and a half to really get my confidence back.”

"I was training with the first team day in, day out, but never getting in the squad. 

But he described the moment when things changed for him.

“I went on loan to Hull and I felt my career really started.

“It was a bit later than I’d expected, but I’m 22 and I’ve got over 100 appearances under my belt in men’s football and I’m in the Premier League where I’ve always wanted to be.”

View full article

Christ, some of these comments might fit in the players you hate thread. I find it majorly disappointing it looks like we're going to let the lad go without any real opportunities here. Wasnt the idea of sending him on loan to see how he coped in higher standard of football than the U23s?

He did well in The Championship and hasnt looked out of place in the Premier League, albeit in a struggling Bournemouth team. And he isnt always out of contention because of niggling little injuries either.

The only decent thing is I suppose we'll get a decent wedge for him plus a sell on clause.

• Upvote 1

I like Wilson. He skilful, intelligent, and can score goals. 
I also think he’s not quite good enough and will leave in the summer.
If I were to go out on a limb, I’d say that in three or four years he’ll be a top Premier League player, and various people will bemoan why we ever let him go. But he won’t reach that standard sitting on our bench, and he won’t get off our bench by staying at his current level. 

• Upvote 2

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that actually, we should keep him for at least 1 more season.

With the likes of Lallana and Shaqiri very likely to depart in the summer, there's a need in my opinion for a left footed option in the attacking midfield areas. Plus, he's a creative player with very good set piece delivery - something we could do with more of.

Add that to the fact that he's a homegrown player, which we'll be losing when Lallana leaves, then to me, it's a no brainer to keep him, unless he himself asks to leave - you have to have a minimum of 8 homegrown players registered to ensure you have a full 25 man squad. We currently have 24 man squad registered in the Premier League.

Our current homegrown quota is as follows:

Christie-Davies, Isaac David*
Clyne, Nathaniel Edwin*
Gomez, Joseph David*
Henderson, Jordan Brian*
Lallana, Adam David*
Lonergan, Andrew Michael*
Milner, James Philip*
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexander Mark David*

We could see half of those leave in the summer, so the senior homegrown players will need to be supplemented by players currently classed as U21 homegrown, or by incoming transfers of homegrown players - likely why we've been linked with the lad Cantwell from Norwich. (I'd take Wilson over Cantwell anyway).

Trent will move from the U21 registration to the senior registration next season, so will replace Clyne who I expect to leave. I'd also expect Christie-Davies and Lonergan to leave in the summer too.

• Upvote 1

Luckily we've got Jones, Williams and Elliott who are good enough to supplement the over 21 squad. If Lonergan goes, I'm sure we can find a home grown third choice keeper. 

So I don't think there's a pressing need to stock the squad with more home growns unless the home grown requirements are increased which I think the FA are already pressing for. 

17 minutes ago, aws said:

Luckily we've got Jones, Williams and Elliott who are good enough to supplement the over 21 squad. If Lonergan goes, I'm sure we can find a home grown third choice keeper. 

So I don't think there's a pressing need to stock the squad with more home growns unless the home grown requirements are increased which I think the FA are already pressing for. 

If Carson is out of contract in the summer sign him up.

18 minutes ago, aws said:

We don't need to register those 3 as they obviously continue to qualify as under 21s, and I don't expect that we would register them in the 25 man squad as a result. I expect that this is pretty much a given.

Also, I'd have Wilson over Elliott for the next season or so regardless, as Harvey continues to develop. Harvey certainly has the higher ceiling, but Harry is the better player of the 2 right now.

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Lonergan's only on a 12 month contract that ends in July. He was only signed after Kelleher was injured with his hand.

Good point. I hope we bring in an experienced third choice keeper to replace him because Kelleher is a long way from being ready.  

3 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

We don't need to register those 3 as they obviously continue to qualify as under 21s, and I don't expect that we would register them in the 25 man squad as a result. I expect that this is pretty much a given.

Also, I'd have Wilson over Elliott for the next season or so regardless, as Harvey continues to develop. Harvey certainly has the higher ceiling, but Harry is the better player of the 2 right now.

I agree about Wilson but I don't see how he even gets on our bench at the moment unless we have a real injury crisis. He needs regular playing time to improve and the U 23 games are no good to him. 

15 hours ago, Dynamite said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that actually, we should keep him for at least 1 more season.

With the likes of Lallana and Shaqiri very likely to depart in the summer, there's a need in my opinion for a left footed option in the attacking midfield areas. Plus, he's a creative player with very good set piece delivery - something we could do with more of.

Add that to the fact that he's a homegrown player, which we'll be losing when Lallana leaves, then to me, it's a no brainer to keep him, unless he himself asks to leave - you have to have a minimum of 8 homegrown players registered to ensure you have a full 25 man squad. We currently have 24 man squad registered in the Premier League.

Our current homegrown quota is as follows:

Christie-Davies, Isaac David*
Clyne, Nathaniel Edwin*
Gomez, Joseph David*
Henderson, Jordan Brian*
Lallana, Adam David*
Lonergan, Andrew Michael*
Milner, James Philip*
Oxlade-Chamberlain, Alexander Mark David*

We could see half of those leave in the summer, so the senior homegrown players will need to be supplemented by players currently classed as U21 homegrown, or by incoming transfers of homegrown players - likely why we've been linked with the lad Cantwell from Norwich. (I'd take Wilson over Cantwell anyway).

Trent will move from the U21 registration to the senior registration next season, so will replace Clyne who I expect to leave. I'd also expect Christie-Davies and Lonergan to leave in the summer too.

My main take away from this is that AOCs parents are extremely indecisive when it come to picking a name.

14 hours ago, aws said:

I agree about Wilson but I don't see how he even gets on our bench at the moment unless we have a real injury crisis. He needs regular playing time to improve and the U 23 games are no good to him. 

Our bench on Saturday was Keita, Minamina, Lallana, Origi, Matip, Williams, Lonergan.

Lallana's off in the summer maybe even Divock although hopefully that means Werner or A.N. Other is his replacement. There's massive question marks over Keita's fitness. Frankly, Id have had Wilson on that bench ahead of Lallana, Keita and Divock but, he only needs to replace one.

52 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

My main take away from this is that AOCs parents are extremely indecisive when it come to picking a name.

“The name’s Oxlade-Chamberlain. Alexander Mark David Oxlade-Chamberlain. Licence to... hang on, where’s he gone?”

17 hours ago, Dynamite said:

Would depend on who we sign for me, for instance is we signed Sancho, then it would be best for him to leave, but I am a big fan and think he could score a load of goals in this team.

Also depends on how much anyone offer for him as well I guess. If it is anything close to like £30m, I think its pretty hard to say no.

I actually think the another loan but to a decent team in the Bundesliga would be a good move for both parties. A high pressing team that is in Europe would be ideal. Perhaps if we are speaking to Leipzig about Werner, then Wilson could come into the conversation.