You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's just odd that we'll win it in March (or early April, at the latest) and then... well, what?  Keep playing football, for some reason, until the parade in May for a trophy we'd won ages earlier.  I just wish we still had some other trophy interest on the go as well.

Oh aye, i absolutely get what you mean...but we have been spoiled with how league has gone and it isn't normal is it.

It will only really sink in once we win it and that will IMO more than make up for any disappointment or frustration about other comps....and let's face it, it will feel incredible when it becomes reality.

I think you have to be philosophical about these things. There are so many great clubs in Europe, and only one of them can win this trophy every year. It would have been nice to win back-to-back European Cups, but it's hardly expected, so one cannot be too disappointed. The league is the big prize this season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Atletico were terrible, we just got sucker punched. It happens. Absolutely zero credit to them, they're a shite side who will lose in the next round if it is played. 

Hope it was worth it for the authorities to have the fans there. Probably will contribute to a few more deaths. 

People in the ground tonight were probably as safe and maybe safer than the many who would have watched it in ale houses and the many people all day on buses, trains at work etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

People in the ground tonight were probably as safe and maybe safer than the many who would have watched it in ale houses and the many people all day on buses, trains at work etc

I mean the Atletico fans coming over in thousands from a city that is teeming with the virus. 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think you have to be philosophical about these things. There are so many great clubs in Europe, and only one of them can win this trophy every year. It would have been nice to win back-to-back European Cups, but it's hardly expected, so one cannot be too disappointed. The league is the big prize this season.

I always think that the FA Cup is a shocking indictment of the English top flight.  All you have to do to win it is win 6 consecutive games - and each year only one team manages it!

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean the Atletico fans coming over in thousands from a city that is teeming with the virus

1,000 cases in a population of 6.5 million.  The chances that significant numbers of the Atletico fans were carrying the virus are not overwhelming - certainly not enough to start any panic about risks to public health.

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I always think that the FA Cup is a shocking indictment of the English top flight.  All you have to do to win it is win 6 consecutive games - and each year only one team manages it!

That's because by the time the FA Cup starts in January, clubs are either deep into fighting relegation, getting stuck in the title race and European places. And with the exception of European places, it's the exact same reason clubs in all leagues go with changed teams. The same as it ever was.

Managers have to juggle their resources no matter how you cut it. But they still put a team out they think is capable of winning.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

That's because by the time the FA Cup starts in January, clubs are either deep into fighting relegation, getting stuck in the title race and European places. And with the exception of European places, it's the exact same reason clubs in all leagues go with changed teams. The same as it ever was.

Managers have to juggle their resources no matter how you cut it. But they still put a team out they think is capable of winning.

Image result for whoosh gif

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Swine Flu in 09 seemed to infect and kill a lot more people than this thing now and i don't recall the hysteria, panic and massive reaction to that that we are seeing now to this.

I think that may be the point.  Governments didn't react very strongly to earlier epidemics, so lots of people got sick and died.  This time, a lot of governments want to stop things before they get out of hand.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Swine Flu in 09 seemed to infect and kill a lot more people than this thing now and i don't recall the hysteria, panic and massive reaction to that that we are seeing now to this.

The death rate for Swine Flu was 0.02%. Coronavirus incapacitates people to the point where Italy has had to resort to triage. Get the difference?

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Can't win 'em all fellas. The best team lost tonight.

Immensely proud of our lads. It's been a hell of a season.

Win the next two league games - when, at least, we know we won't be facing keepers of the quality of Kepa or Oblak - and we'll be just fine.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'm not sure about that. Not that I've got any numbers. But I've seen countless people on the news saying this is far more contagious than any of these other recent global scares we've had - that apparently is the big issues each individual infects around 4 people, which is more than double most other similar infections. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

This is probably best served in another thread, but I think the size and scope of social media and the way "news", true or otherwise, is propagated and consumed today is that big culprit as far as the hysteria is concerned. It's something to be concerned about but the real precautions one can take are the same precautions one should be practicing anyway as part of their daily personal hygiene routine.

5 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

This is probably best served in another thread, but I think the size and scope of social media and the way "news", true or otherwise, is propagated and consumed today is that big culprit as far as the hysteria is concerned. It's something to be concerned about but the real precautions one can take are the same precautions one should be practicing anyway as part of their daily personal hygiene routine.

Fair shout

6 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not sure about that. Not that I've got any numbers. But I've seen countless people on the news saying this is far more contagious than any of these other recent global scares we've had - that apparently is the big issues each individual infects around 4 people, which is more than double most other similar infections. 

Had a look myself:

Just had a look myself.

https://about.futurelearn.com/blog/covid-19-how-does-coronavirus-compare-to-other-outbreaks

Swine flu numbers:

Swine flu is the same strain of flu that wiped out 1.7% of the global population in 1918. It was declared a pandemic again in June 2009, and an estimated 11-21% of the world population contracted it. 

Fortunately, the CFR is considerably lower than in the previous pandemic, with 0.1-0.5% of cases resulting in death. 18,500 of these deaths were laboratory-confirmed, but estimates are as high as 151,700-575,400 globally. 

50-80% of severe cases were found in people who had underlying conditions such as pregnancy, asthma, diabetes, and cardiovascular disorders. 

Compared to swine flu, coronavirus:

• is less widespread
  • has caused fewer deaths
  • has a higher CFR
  • has a longer incubation period
  • affects young people less 

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

What is the death rate for healthy people who have had this thing?

About 10 times that of Swine Flu (0.2). And it hospitalizes even young and healthy people at a relatively high rate. High enough that it's fucking up the health department of a country with a pretty good health department. There's a reason for the hysteria when entire countries shut down.