You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

The most annoying thing about all this is that they’re not even close to our level. We proved that over two legs but especially tonight. And then Adrian happened. Couldn’t fucking believe it. Roll on covid. Fuck this competition off and let’s have another pop at it next year. Get the league wrapped up and get ready for a summer of relaxing relaxing self isolation. Fuck

I don’t think it’s so much about strength in depth, it’s about having different options for certain games. 

We still need to replace Coutinho, in addition to adding a fourth member to our front three. 

Really good point from @The Guest on how we need to maximise our trophy return over these few years, as we’ll likely never see a team as great as this again and they deserve to leave a legacy that’s up there with our best past sides. The title will be a great consolation, given that I sometimes doubted if we’d ever see it again. 

2 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

He's clumsy and error prone.

Nowhere near the levels of Mignolet or Karius, but we a much better 2nd keeper.

I reckon he must have made about the same amount of mistakes as Mignolet and Karius usually would in a season, in probably fewer games. The Ings goal, the shit attempt of a save against Newcastle, same for the Maddison goal against Leicester, taking ages to place his wall against Brighton, the Chelsea goal and now this. And, there have been several other moments like today where he gave the ball carelessly to opposition sides which did not result in a goal. He also can't dive whatsoever. That dive to save Joao Felix piss easy shot during regulation was comically bad, nevermind their first goal.

The only reason he's got off so lightly till now is that contrary to Karius and Mig, the current team is so fucking good that we still managed to win the vast majority of these games. Had he played for these previous LFC sides, the general opinion on Adrian would be vastly vastly different. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I never considered City once when thinking about how much I want us to win trophies.  They're an irrelevance.  All I've been thinking about, ever since we've effectively sewn up the league, is focusing on how far we can get in the cups.  

I want to win every trophy we're in for and it hurts when we get knocked out.  This season, we were effectively kicked out of the League Cup as a punishment for being Champions of Europe.  The FA Cup defeat I was able to file under "you can't win them all" - and even accept that all goalkeepers occasionally make a costly mistake.  But tonight really fucking hurt, because the way the goals were gifted was sickening.

Maybe I'm greedy, but right now I don't feel happy settling for "just" the one major trophy.

OK so you though it feasible we win the PL (for the first time in 30 years), retain the CL becoming the only club after real to retain it in god knows how many years, win the FA Cup and thereby doing our first double in 34 years and still expect us to do well in the EFL Cup.

Yeah, sure we all want to win the trophies. What Im saying is it isnt reasonable to think we will. There's plenty of previous season back to Shankly when we didnt give a fuck about the EFL Cup and Im pretty sure Bill, Bob and others after them prioritised the competitions the club was in.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Well played tonight reds, shame about the GK but good to see a much improved performance all round. 

I agree. That was probably the best we've played in 2020. Our record in Europe since Klopp came in is obscene and wasn't sustainable, especially in a 2 year span we've played much more football than everyone else. Madrid and Simeone are also a uniquely bad style match up for us, as well, so without our keeper it was always going to be tough. Played pretty well, for the most part, and I expect we'll have the chance to right this wrong somewhere down the line, probably in a final.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the goals again.

Adrian's 'dive' for the first is absolutely pathetic - he barely extends his arm and literally just flops on the floor....the giving away of the ball was bad enough but that excuse for a dive was embarrassing on top.

2nd goal we should have a foul on edge of their box, but what happens after is just really poor.

Fucking Adrian though - everything about that 1st goal is beyond poor from him.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I never considered City once when thinking about how much I want us to win trophies.  They're an irrelevance.  All I've been thinking about, ever since we've effectively sewn up the league, is focusing on how far we can get in the cups.  

I want to win every trophy we're in for and it hurts when we get knocked out.  This season, we were effectively kicked out of the League Cup as a punishment for being Champions of Europe.  The FA Cup defeat I was able to file under "you can't win them all" - and even accept that all goalkeepers occasionally make a costly mistake.  But tonight really fucking hurt, because the way the goals were gifted was sickening.

Maybe I'm greedy, but right now I don't feel happy settling for "just" the one major trophy.

I got this same feeling myself. I want us to win every competition we're in. Sure we can wrtite off the Charity Shield or whatever the fuck it's called now and the Super Cup as glorified pre-season games because they are but I still want us to win them. We got fucked out of the League Cup because the league realized last minute they couldn't organize the games another way. The FA Cup was down to shitty goal keeping and an unfavorable draw. This was down to shitty goal keeping. Maybe we are greedy but as has been mentioned you don't have a side at this level for very long.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Just watched the goals again.

Adrian's 'dive' for the first is absolutely pathetic - he barely extends his arm and literally just flops on the floor....the giving away of the ball was bad enough but that excuse for a dive was embarrassing on top.

2nd goal we should have a foul on edge of their box, but what happens after is just really poor.

Fucking Adrian though - everything about that 1st goal is beyond poor from him.

He shit himself when he passed it without taking a touch, realized he fucked up, and shit himself scrambling back and fell down.

I hate to stick the knife him after he started the season for us as well as you can ask a backup Keeper to do but today he cost us the tie and that really is all there is to it.

5 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

He shit himself when he passed it without taking a touch, realized he fucked up, and shit himself scrambling back and fell down.

I hate to stick the knife him after he started the season for us as well as you can ask a backup Keeper to do but today he cost us the tie and that really is all there is to it.

He had time to set and push off to make a decent dive. His poor technique and lack of ability meant he couldn't.

Went down in stages for the 2nd as well.

He cost us the first goal in extra time when better finishing in the first 90 minutes would’ve seen us through.

I’m not defending him, he’s a second choice for a reason, but as well as we played overall, we were shown up for not having the ruthlessness needed up front against top quality teams, and it’s that which needs addressing.

We already have the best goalkeeper in the world in our squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

At least the Champions League is back to being a prestigious competition again, now that we're out. It's no longer a glorified League Cup, like it was last season. 

And I'm sure Pep is suddenly more than happy to be playing in empty stadia.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

A scoreline that doesn't reflect the game, but we'd created our own problems by failing to lay a glove on Atletico in the first leg. That's where the damage was done.

Agree, that clean sheet at home gave them the belief once the game got to extra time and fatigue, physical and mental, was going to come into it.

Imagine, they may have even gone on to score had Adrian not gifted them that first one.

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

OK so you though it feasible we win the PL (for the first time in 30 years), retain the CL becoming the only club after real to retain it in god knows how many years, win the FA Cup and thereby doing our first double in 34 years and still expect us to do well in the EFL Cup.

Yeah, sure we all want to win the trophies. What Im saying is it isnt reasonable to think we will. There's plenty of previous season back to Shankly when we didnt give a fuck about the EFL Cup and Im pretty sure Bill, Bob and others after them prioritised the competitions the club was in.

Aston fucking Villa reached the final of the League Cup.  Obviously we could have done the same (had we been permitted to field a half-decent side against Villa) and we would have at least given City a match in the Final.  So, yes, I do think it's feasible that we could have beaten Leicester over two legs and City in a one-off match.

Far from having contempt for the League Cup, we've won it more often than anyone else and we held it for four years when we were winning everything else in sight.  Like Paisley, Fagan, Evans, Houllier and Dalglish, I think it's a trophy worth winning: one which allows you to blood your youngsters in the earlier rounds, before bringing in the senior players as you get nearer to the Final.  I can accept losing games; what I can't understand is when the incompetent bellends who run the sport prevent us from even competing.

As for the FA Cup, being drawn away at Chelsea was always going to be tough.  We gave it a good go and we lost.  It happens.  Still, it's disappointing because, had we won, we would have been just three wins away from a major trophy; and we wold likely have been going into those matches as league champions, while our opponents would likely have one eye on their league position.

And, of course winning the European Cup is (was!) feasible.  We're not Everton.  This team, these reigning Champions, have a brilliant record in Europe.  Once you're in the Quarter-Finals, anything can happen.  Again, having the league sewn up is a key factor here; had we won tonight, we could have played the kids in the League.  I'm just pig-sick that we didn't get to see how much further we could have got.

It's never reasonable at the start of the season to think we're going to win the lot.  I never do think that.  But as the season progresses you can make adjustments to what your realistic ambitions should be.  Right now, I just think that April and May are going to be oddly anti-climactic.

Only way it becomes anti climactic IMO is if this virus lark halts season/it ends behind closed doors and there is no parade if we win title etc.

30 years of waiting, watching those manc rats win title over and over, watching the oil cheats buy it, abramovich buy it and Blackburn fucking Rovers and Leicester fucking City win it - could very well be ending and that is fucking huge......it being done behind closed doors etc though would be pretty sickening.

Shit happens. It’s not nice to lose, but in a weird way I’m relieved, as we showed that we are still capable of putting in a really good performance, with intensity and quality. This was an enormous step forward from our last 5 or so games. A pity we found our form now and not in Madrid, but it is what it is. We’ll win it next year. Now, let’s take care of our illustrious neighbours.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Only way it becomes anti climactic IMO is if this virus lark halts season/it ends behind closed doors and there is no parade if we win title etc.

30 years of waiting, watching those manc rats win title over and over, watching the oil cheats buy it, abramovich buy it and Blackburn fucking Rovers and Leicester fucking City win it - could very well be ending and that is fucking huge......it being done behind closed doors etc though would be pretty sickening.

It's just odd that we'll win it in March (or early April, at the latest) and then... well, what?  Keep playing football, for some reason, until the parade in May for a trophy we'd won ages earlier.  I just wish we still had some other trophy interest on the go as well.

Atletico were terrible, we just got sucker punched. It happens. Absolutely zero credit to them, they're a shite side who will lose in the next round if it is played. 

Hope it was worth it for the authorities to have the fans there. Probably will contribute to a few more deaths. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, an tha said:

It is of course really hard to win loads of trophies and we are on for the one we want and need most which is amazing.

But it does feel really gutting to lose in this and the cups as it feels like right now is our time so to speak - our rivals are in varying states of transition/not strong and this team is at our near its peak and the time is now to win stuff.

I agree.

I think next season will be much, much, much harder.

We are about to complete a 3-year cycle in which we've reached the European Cup Final, reached another European Cup Final, and only lost 2 League games in the last two (almost) completed League seasons.

That's a phenomenal record and it won't be kept up without very good quality reinforcements, I don't think.

• Upvote 1