You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

Everyone will be gutted tonight of course but it's football, you win some you lose some.  We probably do still lack depth, in fact that's inarguable really, so we we're probably asking too much to win both the PL and CL with the squad we have, even if we were in dreamland for a while in mid-winter.   Time to refocus eyes back on the main prize and get this league done, Fowler willing. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, torahboy said:

No need for any of us to turn nasty and vindictive. We dominated and played some good football considering the atrocious conditions. We should let this pass, regroup, recharge our batteries, take a breath and ........ kick seven kinds of chorizo out of that cunt Adrian.

Onward and upward.

Indeed

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'd say depth is an issue yes.

Back up keeper is poor.

No recognised full back back up - aside from kids.

Lallana and Origi should be nowhere near a club at the level we are at/aspire to be at.

When we have to make changes it shows....look at our domestic cup record in recent times as evidence of that - our heavily rotated teams rarely win, we make 5/6 changes and the drop off is massive.

We have a first 11 that is as good as anything and we have a core of about 15 that is as good as anything - after that it is very, very patchy.

I agree with a lot of that, but I actually rate Origi higher. He’s proved his finishing on the biggest stage, and I’d argue, if he’d had the game time that Bobby, Sadio & Mo get, he’d be far more consistent. He’d also benefit from the Robbo/TAA. feeds.

Guest Alex_K
3 minutes ago, Trumo said:

A scoreline that doesn't reflect the game, but we'd created our own problems by failing to lay a glove on Atletico in the first leg. That's where the damage was done.

The damage was done by a goalkeeping catastrophe minutes before we were going through after 200 minutes of football.

Our final ball and finishing is a massive problem and has been for a while. But lets all pile in on the keeper who mishit a clearance.

Game should have been won in 90 mins

34 shots we had tonight..... 30 fucking 4 .

We are out because we didnt have a shot on target in the first leg and that we could only find 1 in another 90.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BCM said:

Our final ball and finishing is a massive problem and has been for a while. But lets all pile in on the keeper who mishit a clearance.

We are out because we didnt have a shot on target in the first leg and that we could only find 1 in another 90.

Our forwards are wasteful. Our backup keeper is shit.

They're not mutually exclusive.

8 minutes ago, BCM said:

Fucking hell mate, not only did he fuckup the clearance, he fucking let in a soft shot, then again for the second.

11 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Nope. Because Adrian’s confidence is very obviously shot to shit and he’ll be a bad bag of nerves flapping around and falling haplessly over a miss-hit Moise Kean pea-roller.

The thing is as a keeper if you're a bit nervy, you should not piss about with the ball and think you're better than you are especially when it's wet and \ or windy. As Ive said, I dont understand for the first why he doesnt just launch it. But I guess the pressure at a club like Liverpool is to always try and play the ball.

It's a bit harsh on the lad because Id say for a back up keeper, he's done well with one or two 'oh shit' moments. But that's what you get with a back up keeper and it's the reason they are back ups not first choice.

Guest Alex_K
11 minutes ago, BCM said:

Really?? I’ve been the first to hit the “our centre forward can’t score a goal” drum and that we need more goals but we were going through that mistake aside. We were going through. Atletico didn’t put a paw on us. We smashed them for 90 minutes, scored, ordinarily would have scored more and then that horror from Adrian threw us out. Beating the outfield players up about that is just ludicrous. How the fuck can you legislate for that. It’s nuts. Van Dijk, Salah, Mane Trent etc must be fucking spinning thinking at how they’ve been knocked out of Europe twice like that now. Those outfielders just don’t deserve this shit.

2 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I agree with a lot of that, but I actually rate Origi higher. He’s proved his finishing on the biggest stage, and I’d argue, if he’d had the game time that Bobby, Sadio & Mo get, he’d be far more consistent. He’d also benefit from the Robbo/TAA. feeds.

It's a style of play issue for me with Big Div.

He's a decentish number 9 and finisher but he has to try and work shoehorned into our system doing a job he is not best suited to.

Like for like back up is IMO our biggest issue, we have very little of it really - look at when TAA is out we end up with Gomez being shoehorned in to his role, with the obvious difference then there to see.

Same applies in front 3, we end up trying to force AOC in there or Div, remember 2018 european cup final, Salah gets fucked, Lallana is our option.

Midfield may be about best in terms of options but look at tonight a driving attack minded player in AOC goes off - option on bench is Milner (top player) but not like for like at all, although maybe Minamino was and that was more about Klopp making a decision! But for me as good as we are we are just short of the depth of quality needed to really become dominant.....the opportunity is there to become dominant, hopefully we use our position of strength this summer to build that bit more we need.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Fucking hell mate, not only did he fuckup the clearance, he fucking let in a soft shot, then again for the second.

Watching the shot for the first, he was about a metre off the ground when the shot was taken, by the time he had landed and moved himself sideways it was already past him. I thought they drilled that stuff out of GKs at under 6 level. 

19 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

BBC saying we’re “lacking depth“

Is that true? Is Shaqiri injured? He never gets a sniff of a game, but put in a huge shift against Barcelona. I know Minamino needs to be brought through, and Fabinho is out of form.

I wonder if injuries have conspired, and depth is still an issue?

Depth has been an issue all season, we’ve had luck with the front 3’s availability but are now lacking the ability to rest or drop any of them as the back up isn’t up to scratch. Another good forward is a must for next season, bollocks to all this ‘who will come and sit on the bench’ , if you get the chance to join us then you take it and back yourself to get in the team or be willing to bide your time a bit. Competition for places is never a bad thing. 

We have a fantastic first team and a pretty average backup group, we lack players but we all know this. We have done fantastically well in Europe over the last few years but these shithouses did what they do, was up to us to deal with it.

Now just get the League won whenever that will be and strengthen, too many not good enough. Let’s see what we do in the summer, we need the cliched big one, which is amazing to think after our league run.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

If we put the tie away in 90 mins which we should have done, it would never have happened.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

Everyone will be gutted tonight of course but it's football, you win some you lose some.  We probably do still lack depth, in fact that's inarguable really, so we we're probably asking too much to win both the PL and CL with the squad we have, even if we were in dreamland for a while in mid-winter.   Time to refocus eyes back on the main prize and get this league done, Fowler willing. 

Sorry but I have to smile at this lack of depth stuff. Our squad has probably better depth than any other in the PL bar city. And they can have 'quality' squad depth because they can pay £50m for a couple of sub fullbacks and pay them near 200 grand a week to sit on their arse on the bench and maybe get 10 minutes or so at the end of a game.

15 minutes ago, BCM said:

We are out because of the keeper. That's clear as day. It's fine to say it, it's not his fault, he isn't good enough to start but has been great this season and helped us win the league. You need your best players in Europe and Allison and VVD together are vital. 

• Upvote 1

Adrian did pretty well before tonight.

Brilliant as he is, we need Alisson to be less of a sicknote next season. 

The ‘top class second keeper’ thing won’t happen. What top class keeper with the right mentality wants to join a club where, ideally, he won’t ever play for us?

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

It's a style of play issue for me with Big Div.

He's a decentish number 9 and finisher but he has to try and work shoehorned into our system doing a job he is not best suited to.

Like for like back up is IMO our biggest issue, we have very little of it really - look at when TAA is out we end up with Gomez being shoehorned in to his role, with the obvious difference then there to see.

Same applies in front 3, we end up trying to force AOC in there or Div, remember 2018 european cup final, Salah gets fucked, Lallana is our option.

Midfield may be about best in terms of options but look at tonight a driving attack minded player in AOC goes off - option on bench is Milner (top player) but not like for like at all, although maybe Minamino was and that was more about Klopp making a decision! But for me as good as we are we are just short of the depth of quality needed to really become dominant.....the opportunity is there to become dominant, hopefully we use our position of strength this summer to build that bit more we need.

I've said something similar to this before. 

We don't need a plan B, or players who can do something a bit different, we need backup plan As, players who can do exactly what the other player on their position does, and can slot in seamlessly.

Obviously try to have slightly different attributes, like one who's faster than the other or stronger than the other depending on opposition, but overall we have a system that works, and the only ever time it doesn't work is when we have players missing from that system.