Quantcast
Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00 - Page 32 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

BBC saying we’re “lacking depth“

Is that true? Is Shaqiri injured? He never gets a sniff of a game, but put in a huge shift against Barcelona. I know Minamino needs to be brought through, and Fabinho is out of form.

I wonder if injuries have conspired, and depth is still an issue?

No need for any of us to turn nasty and vindictive. We dominated and played some good football considering the atrocious conditions. We should let this pass, regroup, recharge our batteries, take a breath and ........ kick seven kinds of chorizo out of that cunt Adrian.

Onward and upward.

Alison saves all 3 and none of them even make the highlights reel. Three nothing shots I'd fancy saving. Feel sick, really thought we would win a few of these in a row.

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

No point trying to dress this up as due to poor finishing, substitutions, switching off etc. It was a goalkeeping nightmare that's cost us tonight.

He was already a bag of nerves. From the fumble, to the kick, to the saveable shots flying in, it was a night to forget for the keeper. Others could've perhaps played better; Adrian couldn't have played worse.

Yep, and he’s likely going to cost us badly against Everton if he plays. I remember Dudek desperately needing to be taken out of the fire line but ultimately being kept in goal after a string of errors, culminating in the Forlan horror show. 

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm not sure it was a mentality thing. A team with the best will and desire in the world would still struggle to break down a back 9, which is what they went to in the second half of extra time. They just sat in and launched it clear. 

It was a massive ask to get 2 goals in the 15 minutes that were left. 

In fairness, we didn't do a thing from the moment they scored their first.

I do think Adrian's mistake played on our lads' minds.

So, mentality was involved - I think.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Before Adrians blunder they couldn't even get near our box never mind get a shot away

I only remember them having one shot and he nearly fucked that up too. I actually feel sorry for the guy but let's not beat about the bush - he cost us that game tonight. Atletico were fucking shit, I thought. We had 29 shots, 14 on target. 

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Bit harsh mate. It's been a hard season, most players in the league are fucked with all the games they have to play, not just ours. We just ran out of gas for the last period of extra time while not being in the best of form. To be honest, I thought we played very well with only the finishing being off.

And I dont care how mentally strong players are, it's a real kick in the nads when your keeper has let 3 soft goals in on the night.

Probably is harsh.  I've just come to expect massive relentlessness - like against Borussia or Barcelona - as if it's standard.  I'm just fucking fuming because Atletico are a cunt team who play cunt football.  

It's a good job I didn't go to the pub tonight, because I'm fucking livid despite being sober.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, torahboy said:

No need for any of us to turn nasty and vindictive. We dominated and played some good football considering the atrocious conditions. We should let this pass, regroup, recharge our batteries, take a breath and ........lift the league trophy

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Not the Klopp way but would Lonergan be any worse an option than Adrian at the pit on Monday?

Lonergan has barely even been a first-choice keeper in the Championship, so I'd imagine so... 

7 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

No point trying to dress this up as due to poor finishing, substitutions, switching off etc. It was a goalkeeping nightmare that's cost us tonight.

He was already a bag of nerves. From the fumble, to the kick, to the saveable shots flying in, it was a night to forget for the keeper. Others could've perhaps played better; Adrian couldn't have played worse.

Achterburg's turned him to shit!

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Should have given Lonergan the last period of extra time! What a story that would have been for the lad.

Wasn't long ago people were saying "what a story for the lad" when Alisson got injured and Adrian was in goal when we won the super cup.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

Alison saves all 3 and none of them even make the highlights reel. Three nothing shots I'd fancy saving. Feel sick, really thought we would win a few of these in a row.

I disagree.

Alisson would save two of them.  The first one wouldn't be a save because it wouldn't even be a shot: Alisson wouldn't give them the ball like that.

1 minute ago, Red Shift said:

BBC saying we’re “lacking depth“

Is that true? Is Shaqiri injured? He never gets a sniff of a game, but put in a huge shift against Barcelona. I know Minamino needs to be brought through, and Fabinho is out of form.

I wonder if injuries have conspired, and depth is still an issue?

I'd say depth is an issue yes.

Back up keeper is poor.

No recognised full back back up - aside from kids.

Lallana and Origi should be nowhere near a club at the level we are at/aspire to be at.

When we have to make changes it shows....look at our domestic cup record in recent times as evidence of that - our heavily rotated teams rarely win, we make 5/6 changes and the drop off is massive.

We have a first 11 that is as good as anything and we have a core of about 15 that is as good as anything - after that it is very, very patchy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, an tha said:

Not the Klopp way but would Lonergan be any worse an option than Adrian at the pit on Monday?

Nope. Because Adrian’s confidence is very obviously shot to shit and he’ll be a bad bag of nerves flapping around and falling haplessly over a miss-hit Moise Kean pea-roller.

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Folks like Keita and Lovren are the antithesis of what’s needed tonight. Bit surprised Milner hasn’t got a game here. No passengers tonight.

Fuck me. Now the 3rd musketeer showed up. Immense second half performance there, best we’ve played at Anfield in months. Alisson takes 2 weeks off and finds himself bounced out of 2 competitions. 

that must be the most undue 2 legged Cup exit in the clubs history. Fans leaving before the end to salute that side should be ashamed.

• Upvote 1

A scoreline that doesn't reflect the game, but we'd created our own problems by failing to lay a glove on Atletico in the first leg. That's where the damage was done.

In this game, it was Adrian fudging a simple clearance and then slipping over that inexplicably let Atletico back in the tie. The problem with Atletico's second and third goals was that we allowed their front two to link up far too easily. That's partially down to us having to commit to going forward and leaving space, and partially because we seem to have done a lot of that recently.

Oblak kept Atletico in it in normal time, and we were at times unfortunate not to score more, and at times very wasteful with our decision making. Still, we looked so dangerous in that second half and up until we gifted Atletico a goal back in extra time.

Bobby finally got a goal at Anfield, but sadly it came in a game where Klopp finally lost a European game at Anfield, and finally lost a knock-out European tie as Liverpool manager.

One observation I will make (and it's one that gets repeated by others on this forum regularly) is that putting Origi on and playing him out wide neither helps him nor the team. He needs to be in the mixer and give our players a target in the box.

Finally, when was the last time we made a decent fist of defending a cup we've won? Maybe the run to the semis of the FA Cup against Palace after winning it in the derby the previous year. More obvious is the 4-in-a-row in the League Cup in the early 80s. Certainly, since the 90s, we seem to get knocked out at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I disagree.

Alisson would save two of them.  The first one wouldn't be a save because it wouldn't even be a shot: Alisson wouldn't give them the ball like that.

If your going down that route then I'd also say he's off his line and sweeping up the Morata one before it becomes a chance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I'd say depth is an issue yes.

Back up keeper is poor.

No recognised full back back up - aside from kids.

Lallana and Origi should be nowhere near a club at the level we are at/aspire to be at.

When we have to make changes it shows....look at our domestic cup record in recent times as evidence of that - our heavily rotated teams rarely win, we make 5/6 changes and the drop off is massive.

We have a first 11 that is as good as anything and we have a core of about 15 that is as good as anything - after that it is very, very patchy.

I totally agree and been banging that drum for years. The next level for this club is having a strong 16-17 players, not just a strong 12-13. We have to pay the wages and have quality from the bench to stay at the forefront. At present theres too much of a drop off. I mean Origi has done next to fucking nothing for months, whilst City bring on Mahrez and Jesus.

We have no excuses we don't spend big, we've made profit and we haven't had any heavy windows. This summer needs to be the next level.

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Much improved for 105 minutes, then completely switched off for the last 15, when there was still a game to be won.

"Mentality monsters" my arse.

Nothing to do with mentality, they gave everything for 105 minutes to try and finish the job, those final 15 was one hill too many for them to climb.