You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

I just hope we're not lieing about the same old shite come the summer.   You can't possibly sign anyone when you've 11 great players,  Brewster is the second coming,  etc etc

We've blew a big chance tonight cause the competition is brutal quality wise. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The death rate for Swine Flu was 0.02%. Coronavirus incapacitates people to the point where Italy has had to resort to triage. Get the difference?

I would not be surprised if the actual death rate for covid-19 would be just marginally higher than the swine flu. Initial numbers are almost always inflated. The current rate is largely driven by the 3.1% fatality rate in the Hubei province (of which Wuhan is the capital), which is itself driven by the lack of adequate measures and resources in place at the outbreak. In addition, the rate is calculated as a proportion of the number of confirmed cases, but there very likely is a huge amount of mild unreported cases around. The mortality rate in other Chinese provinces is only 0.16% which is possibly the best true estimate we may have at the moment, considering implementation of testing and other measures. In addition, if it's like other coronaviruses like the SARS, with which it shares 90% of its DNA, we should (hopefully) see a seasonality effect with reduced infectivity rates with warming temperatures of spring and summer.

Gutted because we played well and had a good tempo from the start. The longer it went on and the amount of chances we missed I thought we would get done by these snides.

Adrian was absolutely pathetic for the first goal and has Mignolet syndrome in that any shot on goal normally goes in. Pissed off because we are more than capable of beating who is left in the competition.

Just hope we absolutely batter Everton on Monday and win next Saturday. 

Even though it's been an amazing season things definitely need shaking up in the summer, cant get away with buying a couple of teenagers for less than £7m this time. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, skaro said:

I agree.

I think next season will be much, much, much harder.

We are about to complete a 3-year cycle in which we've reached the European Cup Final, reached another European Cup Final, and only lost 2 League games in the last two (almost) completed League seasons.

That's a phenomenal record and it won't be kept up without very good quality reinforcements, I don't think.

Yeah I agree.  The players will be absolutely fucked given the effort of the last 2 seasons. We need quality reinforcements.

7 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I never considered City once when thinking about how much I want us to win trophies.  They're an irrelevance.  All I've been thinking about, ever since we've effectively sewn up the league, is focusing on how far we can get in the cups.  

I want to win every trophy we're in for and it hurts when we get knocked out.  This season, we were effectively kicked out of the League Cup as a punishment for being Champions of Europe.  The FA Cup defeat I was able to file under "you can't win them all" - and even accept that all goalkeepers occasionally make a costly mistake.  But tonight really fucking hurt, because the way the goals were gifted was sickening.

Maybe I'm greedy, but right now I don't feel happy settling for "just" the one major trophy.

I’m disappointed, I didn’t bring you up to be a spoilt brat. I’m on the verge of disowning you.

1 minute ago, skaro said:

And the other absolute pisser is that City could still win another treble this season.

Doesnt really matter though. As long as we win things it makes it easier to tolerate them winning trophies. Nothing is going to take the shine off us winning the league if we get these 6 points. 

Hopefully they get banned for being cheats. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Doesnt really matter though. As long as we win things it makes it easier to tolerate them winning trophies. Nothing is going to take the shine off us winning the league if we get these 6 points. 

Hopefully they get banned for being cheats. 

You're right.

I'm just talking about the things that are pissing me off this very second.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

You're right.

I'm just talking about the things that are pissing me off this very second.

True, it will bug me more when the final is on in May, then the Super Cup and World Club championship in December. 

I just hope we build from a position of power rather than "act clever" n the summer.

10 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

True, it will bug me more when the final is on in May, then the Super Cup and World Club championship in December. 

I just hope we build from a position of power rather than "act clever" n the summer.

As I posted earlier, we've been at full-tilt for 3 seasons now to get to where we are.

Especially Salah, Firmino, Mane.

The current "first XI" is looking, quite rightly, spent.

Building from a position of power is the only way to stay in power.

We need two or three new options that are as good as the first XI, not a step down.

Pinning the reason for where we are at today (since the break) on a shit stand-in goalkeeper would be folly.

6 hours ago, skaro said:

I agree.

I think next season will be much, much, much harder.

We are about to complete a 3-year cycle in which we've reached the European Cup Final, reached another European Cup Final, and only lost 2 League games in the last two (almost) completed League seasons.

That's a phenomenal record and it won't be kept up without very good quality reinforcements, I don't think.

We definitely won't be winning the league next year with AFCON. Would hope we focus on the champions league 

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

We definitely won't be winning the league next year with AFCON. Would hope we focus on the champions league 

No thanks.

The League first - you know, that competition we're currently 25 points clear in.

But I acknowledge your point with AFCON.

Guest Pistonbroke

Still gutted, but it is what it is. We've had a fabulous season so far and the icing will soon be put on the cake. I'd have snapped your hand off to land a league title if it meant not winning the CL before a ball was kicked, we also have the added bonus of being Club World Champions and winning the Super Cup. 

12 minutes ago, Einch said:

Still wondering how we lost that and how easily we cut through them compared to the first leg. Are they that crap? Or are we back?

They're well-organised (12 draws in La Liga this season) but well behind Real and Barcelona, who are both supposedly in decline... so they're a little bit crap I guess. 

I'm not sure our being "back" is my take out from that game... losing 2-3 after being 2-0 up with 23 minutes to go is a bit Bournemouthian.

Had Firmino scored 5 minutes earlier of course... Sliding Doors.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Probably is harsh.  I've just come to expect massive relentlessness - like against Borussia or Barcelona - as if it's standard.  I'm just fucking fuming because Atletico are a cunt team who play cunt football.  

It's a good job I didn't go to the pub tonight, because I'm fucking livid despite being sober.

First defeat outside of a final,in Europe, under Klopp. That is some record and only because of a goalkeeping calamity has it happened last night. I also thought it was our best performance for a while until our goalkeeper decided to fuck it all up. Worst thing is that Alisson would have saved the first two and very likely the third too. 

• Upvote 1

I was bricking myself the way we were dicking about at the back repeatedly passing the ball back to Adrian. However if you look at the prelude to Bobby's goal just before Ginis sublime skill and burst of pace there was a period of three or four passes involving Adrian were I though wtf obviously when Bobby scores I have a different wtf. So it's all swings and roundabouts . 

In the last week we have had the number one keeper in world injured number 2 keeper making two horrendous mistakes and number 3 having a blinder shit happens. At a lower level we have Reina,Adrian and Pickford all being what they are backups. Occasionally making some blinding saves usually preceded by a balls up of their own making but lacking the concentration and calmness required of a top level keeper nowadays when they being put under constant pressure from the opposition and their own back four.