You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

It's a style of play issue for me with Big Div.

He's a decentish number 9 and finisher but he has to try and work shoehorned into our system doing a job he is not best suited to.

Origi was a nothing player for nothing sides in France and Germany.

That's our first choice forward replacement.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K
2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Adrian did pretty well before tonight.

Brilliant as he is, we need Alisson to be less of a sicknote next season. 

The ‘top class second keeper’ thing won’t happen. What top class keeper with the right mentality wants to join a club where, ideally, he won’t ever play for us?

I’m not sure we even need a top keeper per say, just someone with mental solidity. We don’t need a superstar keeper on the bench because it’s so rare they have anything to do. The rate at which our secondary keepers make errors is mad though. Can’t we find one who just does the simple stuff 10/10 times? Where is the Milner of the keeper world.

In fairness Adrian probably developed a concussion from the fucking final brain cell fucking off after that pass.

Despite that, Atleti still had a lot to do on both goals and poor defending is being let off the hook easily here. The gobshite should have saved it but when you're dead in the head, you sometimes need to rely on the 3 or so players in front of you letting a free pop on goal. Especially on the second.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I've said something similar to this before. 

We don't need a plan B, or players who can do something a bit different, we need backup plan As, players who can do exactly what the other player on their position does, and can slot in seamlessly.

Obviously try to have slightly different attributes, like one who's faster than the other or stronger than the other depending on opposition, but overall we have a system that works, and the only ever time it doesn't work is when we have players missing from that system. 

Our domestic cups record in recent times shows this...we make 5/6 changes and we simply don't function at a high enough level - the drop off is huge.

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Adrian did pretty well before tonight.

Brilliant as he is, we need Alisson to be less of a sicknote next season. 

The ‘top class second keeper’ thing won’t happen. What top class keeper with the right mentality wants to join a club where, ideally, he won’t ever play for us?

He's clumsy and error prone.

Nowhere near the levels of Mignolet or Karius, but we a much better 2nd keeper.

I love Divock but I love Bobby more. Div's written his name in Anfield folklore but I really think his time here is up. The last few games he's come on, he's produced nothing.

That twat Mcmanaman was on Bobby's case all night. I thought he was desparately unlucky not to get a couple tonight, He was in the right place and the ball just didnt do it for him.

Im as gutted as anyone we're out because we cant show our World Champions badge until next seasons cups and CL. But I think some fell into the trap of thinking because city won a treble last season, we should be doing one this.

We haven't had many setbacks so I am not going off the deep end , and would have settled for the league at the start of the season , so lets get it sorted before we are Corona'd. Next season onward though we need to be more clinical up front and buy in a better bench. 

ps I will probably get negged to Armageddon but I didn't think Atletico were particularly shithousey and thought the ref was very good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, ))) said:

In fairness Adrian probably developed a concussion from the fucking final brain cell fucking off after that pass.

Despite that, Atleti still had a lot to do on both goals and poor defending is being let off the hook easily here. The gobshite should have saved it but when you're dead in the head, you sometimes need to rely on the 3 or so players in front of you letting a free pop on goal. Especially on the second.

“Atleti” neg.

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Sorry but I have to smile at this lack of depth stuff. Our squad has probably better depth than any other in the PL bar city. And they can have 'quality' squad depth because they can pay £50m for a couple of sub fullbacks and pay them near 200 grand a week to sit on their arse on the bench and maybe get 10 minutes or so at the end of a game.

Our squad depth might be better than most in the PL, though I'd argue full-back cover is dreadfully lacking in comparison, but to win the League and Champions League would take a monumental effort the kind of which our squad is probably not up to.  We came close last year but not close enough, so in that respect we do lack depth.

We've been playing at full pelt mentally and physically for 18 months with roughly the same core of players, I'm sure if we'd been able to rotate the full backs and forwards a bit more this season we'd be looking quite a bit fresher right now.   All that effort has caught up with us and Atletico Madrid we're the beneficiaries tonight. 

It is of course really hard to win loads of trophies and we are on for the one we want and need most which is amazing.

But it does feel really gutting to lose in this and the cups as it feels like right now is our time so to speak - our rivals are in varying states of transition/not strong and this team is at our near its peak and the time is now to win stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Origi was a nothing player for nothing sides in France and Germany.

That's our first choice forward replacement.

That's why I think we'll actually go after Werner this summer, though after our recent form he might have puts his tits away and started texting old flames.

Div has had his time in the sun and he's been brilliant last term but he's not done anything since so probably time to let him go. I know he's had a new contract but he's lost his way. Need a few quality players in the summer that can change a game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Butch said:

Div has had his time in the sun and he's been brilliant last term but he's not done anything since so probably time to let him go. I know he's had a new contract but he's lost his way. Need a few quality players in the summer that can change a game. 

Forward depth is gonna be really needed next season if Mane and Salah are off to that AFCON lark for weeks in Jan/Feb

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

Our squad depth might be better than most in the PL, though I'd argue full-back cover is dreadfully lacking in comparison, but to win the League and Champions League would take a monumental effort the kind of which our squad is probably not up to.  We came close last year but not close enough, so in that respect we do lack depth.

We've been playing at full pelt mentally and physically for 18 months with roughly the same core of players, I'm sure if we'd been able to rotate the full backs and forwards a bit more this season we'd be looking quite a bit fresher right now.   All that effort has caught up with us and Atletico Madrid we're the beneficiaries tonight. 

Our squad depth obviously isn't that good judging by the fact, Klopp plays nearly the exact same 11 through the season.

51 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

I thought he was brilliant. Alisson is probably better, as you say he makes it looks easy and allows far less rebounds. Still think Oblak had a brilliant game, and is a class act. Imagine if the teams had swapped keepers tonight, what would the score have been?

Oh yeah I agree, I just don't like keepers pushing the ball out when they don't need to which is what makes Alisson so good 

Thought we were brilliant. Every single player apart from the goalkeeper was at it.  Considering how shit we’ve been for months it was good to see us play like we can again.  The ball didn’t end up in the net enough because the players aren’t sharp because of the real lack of chances in games recently.

We got fucked over because our keeper was beyond shite.  He was a nervous wreck all night.  As soon as the first goal went in for them the whole team look shell shocked like they were having flashbacks to Karius or something.  The wind completely went out of the team.  Klopp needed to change it there and then.  Mane was dead on his feet as was Henderson.  Henderson has to stop Morata getting back on his right foot there but he’s too knackered to make the right decision and that point it’s game over.  It’s a shame really because your team isn’t this good forever so you want to bag as many big trophies as possible when they are.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Butch said:

He had that good game in the derby and I feel a bit sorry for him getting stuck out on the wing constantly for no good reason but I think swapping him for Werner would be a massive upgrade , and getting somebody useful in midfield for Lallana and Shaqiri would be ideal.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

But I think some fell into the trap of thinking because city won a treble last season, we should be doing one this.

I never considered City once when thinking about how much I want us to win trophies.  They're an irrelevance.  All I've been thinking about, ever since we've effectively sewn up the league, is focusing on how far we can get in the cups.  

I want to win every trophy we're in for and it hurts when we get knocked out.  This season, we were effectively kicked out of the League Cup as a punishment for being Champions of Europe.  The FA Cup defeat I was able to file under "you can't win them all" - and even accept that all goalkeepers occasionally make a costly mistake.  But tonight really fucking hurt, because the way the goals were gifted was sickening.

Maybe I'm greedy, but right now I don't feel happy settling for "just" the one major trophy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I dont recall Oblak making any worldies tonight, bit like Alisson, right place at the right time. But he's not going to be second choice anywhere is he?

People pointing out Div's our first choice back up keeper, again, outside of city, who in the PL has better? Same with fullbacks. As Ive said, city have bought what, 3 fullbacks each costing £50m and the wedge they're on?

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The only tonic for this result is to beat Everton. 

Please let's just win this league before corona virus gets so bad we realise just how unimportant it actually all is.

It's like an episode of the Walking Dead there most years.