You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

So 4000 fans jetting in from Madrid. Where matches are already being played behind closed doors.

If god forbid the city develops a cluster of cases im sure the tabloids based in London will give a fair account of the failures of government that led to it happening. They certainly won't demonise the local population or drag its reputation through the mud.

Just a tad paranoid perhaps.

You think tabloids in London will demonise the Liverpool population for turning up to a football match it was perfectly legal (at the moment) for them to turn up to?

On what grounds will the tabloids, even by their creative standards, have to demonise locals?  

Because they're from Liverpool and Liverpool people are bad and go to football games and cause disasters - even biological ones?  For accomodating Spaniards, who once sent an Armada to invade Britain?

These are the only angles they'll have, and - even for British tabloids - these angles are very very tired.

1 hour ago, skaro said:

Just a tad paranoid perhaps.

You think tabloids in London will demonise the Liverpool population for turning up to a football match it was perfectly legal (at the moment) for them to turn up to?

On what grounds will the tabloids, even by their creative standards, have to demonise locals?  

Because they're from Liverpool and Liverpool people are bad and go to football games and cause disasters - even biological ones?  For accomodating Spaniards, who once sent an Armada to invade Britain?

These are the only angles they'll have, and - even for British tabloids - these angles are very very tired.

Perhaps. But the past 2 months have been eye opening with regards to people's stupidity and irrationality. I've got coworkers who're asian who've been racially abused by bogans. Haven't been able to buy toilet paper as it's sold out everywhere, pasta has been cleaned off the shelves, we've had 3 fatalities to date in Australia and people are behaving like we're about to live through a Mad Max style scenario.

I hope you're right, but honestly at this stage I have zero faith in people to not behave like massive cunts.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Perhaps. But the past 2 months have been eye opening with regards to people's stupidity and irrationality. I've got coworkers who're asian who've been racially abused by bogans. Haven't been able to buy toilet paper as it's sold out everywhere, pasta has been cleaned off the shelves, we've had 3 fatalities to date in Australia and people are behaving like we're about to live through a Mad Max style scenario.

I hope you're right, but honestly at this stage I have zero faith in people to not behave like massive cunts.

I think the madness is universal and I don't think London tabloids specifically targetting Liverpool (again) is of much benefit to them.  Bigger fish to fry in this.

Funnily enough, I read Scott Morrison say the other day that people should go about their usual business, stay calm, and go out for their usual Chinese meal. (I've noticed Asian restaurants are very quiet)

Reasonable advice on face value, but I doubt it was construed as anything other than passive aggressive, patronising racism.

As usual, things will split along Murdochian/New York Times lines.

Anyway, I've upped my Shanghai pork dumpling intake of late - just as I lived on lovely cheap rump steak in London during the Mad Cow's thing.

Questions are being asked about why thousands of Atletico Madrid fans are being allowed to travel to Liverpool from the Spanish capital, where there has been a serious outbreak of the coronavirus.

It is believed that around 3,0000 fans from Madrid will either already be in Liverpool or will be arriving today for the second leg of their Champions League last 16 clash with the Reds at Anfield.

As things stand, the match will go ahead and will be played in front of a full house at Anfield, although Liverpool FC says it is monitoring the situation and is taking extra precautions.

But there are concerns about the health implications of allowing thousands of Madrid fans to travel across Europe and into Liverpool.

The Spanish city has seen a major outbreak of the virus - of Spain's 1646 confirmed cases, a huge 782 of them have been in the Madrid region, with 35 deaths.

Schools and colleges in the city have been shut down and all public events involving more than 1,000 people have also been banned with all La Liga games across the country now being played behind closed doors.

So as the Daily Mirror's northern football correspondent David Maddock put it on twitter: "That means it is illegal for Atletico Madrid fans to watch their own team in their own stadium, or travel to upcoming games in Bilbao or Pamplona, for fear of the very real risk of spreading the deadly virus and creating a pandemic. 

"And yet those same fans (thousands of them) ARE allowed to travel to the UK for the CL game at Anfield - through several major transport hubs - and mingle with the population of Liverpool over several days, without tests or restrictions."

He added: "They will also be allowed to enter the Anfield stadium, where a crowd of more than 54,000 is expected. LFC are understandably concerned and uncomfortable with the situation."

As Maddock - who described the government's decision to let the game go ahead as normal as 'insanity' - pointed out, Liverpool's hands are tied without clear advice from the government and can do nothing to stop the free movement of football fans under current legislation.

From LFC's perspective, a statement was issued last night urging fans attending tonight's match to take extra precautions.

A spokesman said: "Liverpool Football Club continues to monitor and implement the government’s advice on the coronavirus outbreak and ahead of our Champions League match against Atletico Madrid on Wednesday evening, we are reminding everyone attending the game of good hygiene practices.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/3000-atletico-fans-travel-coronavirus-17902323

Worrying that, this isn't "just the flu". I don't pay much heed to sensationalist bollocks in newspapers and couldn't care less about what politicians have to say, but I'm still taking this seriously.

What's got me twitchy about this virus is the fact that doctors and epedemiologists are bricking it. I'd trust their opinion over morons who only decided to sit up and take notice once the stock markets started tanking (looking at you Donald)

My best mate is an epidemiologist and he's pretty much gone into hiding, lots of doctors in the family and while they're not panicking they're not taking it lightly either. 

Hopefully nothing comes of this and it's just a case of me being a massive fanny, but I still think the government should have stepped up here, makes zero sense that people who would be banned from mass gatherings in rheir home country due to the risk of passing on an extremely contagious disease are allowed to waltz in and mingle with the local population.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Worrying that, this isn't "just the flu". I don't pay much heed to sensationalist bollocks in newspapers and couldn't care less about what politicians have to say, but I'm still taking this seriously.

What's got me twitchy about this virus is the fact that doctors and epedemiologists are bricking it. I'd trust their opinion over morons who only decided to sit up and take notice once the stock markets started tanking (looking at you Donald)

My best mate is an epidemiologist and he's pretty much gone into hiding, lots of doctors in the family and while they're not panicking they're not taking it lightly either. 

Hopefully nothing comes of this and it's just a case of me being a massive fanny, but I still think the government should have stepped up here, makes zero sense that people who would be banned from mass gatherings in rheir home country due to the risk of passing on an extremely contagious disease are allowed to waltz in and mingle with the local population.

Completely agree. 

They should have banned all Atleti fans from travelling, charged them for the ticket and provided local fans an opportunity to attend Anfield for the first time. Put all the money from the away tickets into the pyro kitty and have the entire ground bouncing and Coro-free. Bin off the refs and just pick someone from the crowd to keep the containment measures in place. 

Everyones happy, atmosphere is boss, Liverpool win 200-1. 

• Upvote 1

Unbelievable they've allowed those fans to travel, especially when you see what's happening in Spain and elsewhere and also what's happening at home now. When you look at how one person alone can cause many whom they have been in contact with to become infected you see how ridiculous this situation is.

Hopefully the uncertainty about what happens with the rest of the season doesn't take the edge off the atmosphere tonight or make things a bit flat. The crowd need to be as brilliant as they've been at these ties over the last two years for us to pull through.

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Hopefully the uncertainty about what happens with the rest of the season doesn't take the edge off the atmosphere tonight or make things a bit flat. The crowd need to be as brilliant as they've been at these ties over the last two years for us to pull through.

I’m ready to spit in the eye of any of these madrileno bastards , and I’m only going to the pub , so can only imagine how het up guys and gals at the game will be.

• Upvote 1

To be honest if things carry on as they are I can't see how the Champions /Europa Leagues can continue with games being played behind closed doors or if not then all the travelling that will entail....Or will that be extended ?

That's why in a way I can't really get up for this as my mind is way too much on what's happening with the Premier League at the minute

Guest Pistonbroke

I see we have that Dutch referee Danny Makkelie, bit of a knob but will hopefully not fall into their shit house tactics. 

19 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I see we have that Dutch referee Danny Makkelie, bit of a knob but will hopefully not fall into their shit house tactics. 

A thing I don't get with this, is surely refs must watch games. 

Every single person in the stadium and the footballing world (remember the joy from the commentators over there about their rolling and Costa coming on to kick and roll), yet refs seem oblivious to it time and again. It makes no sense unless you believe refs are actually stupid and ignorant. This is not a sly dig at the refs but it is the only conclusion I can draw. 

• Like 1

Guest Pistonbroke
15 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Every single person in the stadium and the footballing world (remember the joy from the commentators over there about their rolling and Costa coming on to kick and roll), yet refs seem oblivious to it time and again. It makes no sense unless you believe refs are actually stupid and ignorant. This is not a sly dig at the refs but it is the only conclusion I can draw. 

Fully agree mate. 

21 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Yellow cards should be out the first sign of it happening. 

It'll never catch on.