You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (H) Champions League 11/3/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Captain said:

The player that really worries me is Adrian. He’s been proper shit lately and seems to completely have lost his mojo.

He better find it again or this won’t end well.

He has an important role, teaching our players some insults in Spanish to wind the cunts up and get them carded when they retaliate. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

This should probably be behind closed doors, in all honesty. Not great to have a couple thousand coming from Madrid, a city which is starting to get loads of cases. 

Plus, we're better than them. We don't even need a crowd. 

I'm half minded to suggest we put our squad in quarantine at Mewood and play the under 12s  who are more likely to shrug it off quickly.

Allowing fucking thousands of Typhoid Marios in at this stage is fucking stupid.

The League is way more important, the only important thing about the CL is stopping the Clampetts

4 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

I'm half minded to suggest we put our squad in quarantine at Mewood and play the under 12s  who are more likely to shrug it off quickly.

Allowing fucking thousands of Typhoid Marios in at this stage is fucking stupid.

The League is way more important, the only important thing about the CL is stopping the Clampetts

Or do it the other way round.  Our under 12s could pick up 6 points from 9 games in the league, while the adults conquer Europe.  Again.

Any other keeper is a downgrade on Alisson, so we should accept that first and foremost.

However, the shot that Willian scored from and the one against Bournemouth that cannoned off Adrian for a corner, we’re both hit straight at him. He had his fists straight out in front of him for the Bournemouth one.

If he can do that, then should be able to grab the ball into his chest, it’s basic goalkeeping.
It seems loads of continental keepers do the punching thing rather than trying to catch the ball and I can’t figure out why, as the ball does move around and the fists are a smaller target and so it must be harder to accurately make contact with the ball to knock it away.

Of course the solution is to not allow the opposition to take the shot in the first place.

So far this tie has put me in mind of Benfica 14 years ago, the last time we went into the knockout stage as holders. We lost 1-0 over there, then absolutely destroyed them at Anfield... and lost the second leg 2-0.

Hopefully it's not a case of history repeating itself.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So far this tie has put me in mind of Benfica 14 years ago, the last time we went into the knockout stage as holders. We lost 1-0 over there, then absolutely destroyed them at Anfield... and lost the second leg 2-0.

Simao put paid to us that night didn't he? 

I think we'll be up for this but the issue is that I can see them scoring themselves and that makes things a lot harder for us. On our day we can put 4 or 5 past these but we've not been "on our day" in quite a while. I think we'll win the game, but I don't know if the manner in which we win will see us go through.

My real hope is that the Squad realizes if they're knocked out now they'll have nothing to play for after 2 more wins in the league but will effectively still have to show up to work. Who the fuck wants to do that? Might as well stay in the CL, win the league, and then use the other league fixtures to keep us sharp for retaining Big Ears.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I think we'll be up for this but the issue is that I can see them scoring themselves and that makes things a lot harder for us. On our day we can put 4 or 5 past these but we've not been "on our day" in quite a while. I think we'll win the game, but I don't know if the manner in which we win will see us go through.

My real hope is that the Squad realizes if they're knocked out now they'll have nothing to play for after 2 more wins in the league but will effectively still have to show up to work. Who the fuck wants to do that? Might as well stay in the CL, win the league, and then use the other league fixtures to keep us sharp for retaining Big Ears.

It'll be a weird end to the season if we go out tomorrow. Not that I'm complaining either way, winning the league was all that mattered this season and anything else is a bonus.

The whole "we'll have nothing to play for" bollocks is baloney.

When we win the league, any remaining game will be a blur for the remainder of a season. The city will be quarantined but there'll still be crowds staggering around screaming allez, allez, allez. You'll have some blert outside KFC on County Road with a flag showing "I support Coronavirus Virus FC not Liverpool FC". A weirdly green jesus will appear next to the Liverbirds. Everton fans will be evacuating the city en masse but told to go back. A pig will be running riot with "that'll do" spray painted on it's back. And Goodison will finally be the home of a league win (if Arse do their bit).

Whether we win the CL or not, we'll be too pissed to care.

• Upvote 1

Real Sociedad are beating Eibar, which pushes Atletico into 6th place, 3 points clear of Valencia in 7th.

On one hand they’ll be putting all their eggs in this basket to beat us because they could finish outside of the CL places and maybe even the EL places. 

On the other hand they're shit, we're boss, and we're going to bum them. 

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

One of only two games I can ever remember watching from the Anfield Road End & the experience was horrible both on and off the pitch. How people pay good money for those seats at the back downstairs seeing roughly 30% of the pitch is beyond me.

p.s. The other one was a LC tie with Tranmere donkeys years ago when I was with a mate from Priory Road and lazily used the nearest turnstile assuming Tranmere fans were fellow scousers , and spent the 90 minutes petrified by their antics & keeping my head down.

So 4000 fans jetting in from Madrid. Where matches are already being played behind closed doors.

If god forbid the city develops a cluster of cases im sure the tabloids based in London will give a fair account of the failures of government that led to it happening. They certainly won't demonise the local population or drag its reputation through the mud.

Cunts.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

p.s. The other one was a LC tie with Tranmere donkeys years ago when I was with a mate from Priory Road and lazily used the nearest turnstile assuming Tranmere fans were fellow scousers , and spent the 90 minutes petrified by their antics & keeping my head down.

Sept '79.

4-0 (HT 0-0).

First leg was a 0-0 draw.

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1101

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Herp McDerp said:

So 4000 fans jetting in from Madrid. Where matches are already being played behind closed doors.

If god forbid the city develops a cluster of cases im sure the tabloids based in London will give a fair account of the failures of government that led to it happening. They certainly won't demonise the local population or drag its reputation through the mud.

Cunts.

Yep. This is the biggest game of the season and I can't get excited about it at all for this reason. Extremely irresponsible that this isn't behind closed doors.