You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crime and Punishment

37 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Right, let’s nip this in the bud.

1. if a client has admitted guilt in instructions, then you can only present a defence by testing the prosecution case without advancing an actual defence - ie. do they have sufficient evidence to prove the case.

2. We are officers of the court and cannot deceive the court by putting forward something that is untrue.

3. If by ‘every trick in the book’ you mean advance our client’s mitigation to achieve the best possible sentence, then yes , we do that because we are under a duty to act in the best interests of our client, and if we don’t we leave ourselves open to negligence actions.

4. Before the court sentence somebody for a serious offence, where it would make an effective difference to the length of sentence, the court will ask for a pre-sentence report from the Probation Service which will deal with the offender’s backgrounds and attitude, and may ask for a psychiatric/psychologists report so that the Judge can consider the question of dangerousness. The people who prepare those reports are well aware that their duty is to the court, not the prosecution or defence. They are independent.

5. We do not sit in judgement on people. That is the job of either the magistrates or, the jury, or the judge. If you decide not to act in the best interests of somebody because you’ve personally decided their guilt, then get out of the job because you’ll misjudge people who are innocent as well. 

I have to ask regarding point 4 'Is this service as good and efficient as it should be,or underfunded and overstretched like most things?' 

30 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I have to ask regarding point 4 'Is this service as good and efficient as it should be,or underfunded and overstretched like most things?' 

Court Probation Service are probably stretched but still do a decent job.

The Psychology/psychiatric reports are usually good and efficient as they are independent of everyone.

19 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

I used to go out in the 90s and occasionally you'd get it. Me and my mate got ambushed in the Paradox by about 10 lads who were just desperate to cause trouble but luckily we got away without getting a hiding after standing up to them.

About 10 years ago I tried using the cash machine at the top of Bold Street/Hanover Street and some big black lad was standing next to it and said he was using it. Even though he was just standing there not getting any money out. I just went up to use it and he told me if I got money out he'd stab me for ignoring him and disrespecting him. He wasn't young either, he was mid thirties and was being a prick. Then grabbed me and I told him to fuck off. He tried slapping me a few times and I just laughed at him saying he couldn't punch properly. The police then just turned up out of nowhere and carted him off into a van. 

Don't ever try getting a taxi by the Adelphi either. Got into a fight with two rats there who just walked up and robbed our taxi. My mate had a kebab from the Chippy in one had and was fighting this rat simultaneously. One punched me but I grabbed his leg and threw him into the hotel wall. 

Both stormed off and went to the top of the road where they started talking to another rat. I could see both of them walking back towards us reaching for their back pocket, either he had a knife of was trying to intimidate us. The taxi drove us off just before they reached for the door to open it. 

Just utter scum. People might share sunset photos of the Liver buildings proclaiming it to be the "best city in de weeerrld". But its populated by utter feral scum. 

Horrible cunts.

I will happily give town a miss when I come home for Christmas. Don't get any of that here.

This reads like the sequel to "rugby match in prison" on the GF.

The pics of here are truly heartbreaking.

I cant even imagine what her family are going through.

One girl murdered and potentially 4 families destroyed because of 1 act of senseless violence.

Dont they have people going into schools saying to these kids..if you carry a knife not only can you destroy another life you will fuck up your own?

2 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

I sat in on a trial once where the person was accused of attempted murder. His solicitor put forward an argument of mental health grounds and diminished responsibility saying he had no mental capacity to understand what he was doing.

The Judge shook his head saying there had been no history of mental illness, no medical reports to even hint that he had any mental problems, he also held down a responsible job and cared for his two kids. He then asked how a person with no mental problems would suddenly become a person with no ability to understand anything.

The judge then said that diminished responsibility can only be argued in murder cases and not attempted murder cases. He then asked the solicitor how long he had been practicing for and said he should have known that. 

He quickly retreated to his seat, reminded me of the Homer Simpson gif where he disappears into a hedge. 

Had he ended up stabbing the other fella 18 times?

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Right, let’s nip this in the bud.

1. if a client has admitted guilt in instructions, then you can only present a defence by testing the prosecution case without advancing an actual defence - ie. do they have sufficient evidence to prove the case.

2. We are officers of the court and cannot deceive the court by putting forward something that is untrue.

3. If by ‘every trick in the book’ you mean advance our client’s mitigation to achieve the best possible sentence, then yes , we do that because we are under a duty to act in the best interests of our client, and if we don’t we leave ourselves open to negligence actions.

4. Before the court sentence somebody for a serious offence, where it would make an effective difference to the length of sentence, the court will ask for a pre-sentence report from the Probation Service which will deal with the offender’s backgrounds and attitude, and may ask for a psychiatric/psychologists report so that the Judge can consider the question of dangerousness. The people who prepare those reports are well aware that their duty is to the court, not the prosecution or defence. They are independent.

5. We do not sit in judgement on people. That is the job of either the magistrates or, the jury, or the judge. If you decide not to act in the best interests of somebody because you’ve personally decided their guilt, then get out of the job because you’ll misjudge people who are innocent as well. 

Thanks for the feedback , appreciated. Having said that I think I would never have made it as a defence lawyer as I dont think I could do my best for somebody who I could see is an absolute twat deserving everything they should get. Wrong I know.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Horrible cunts.

I will happily give town a miss when I come home for Christmas. Don't get any of that here.

This reads like the sequel to "rugby match in prison" on the GF.

Like Bjornebye said the only place that isn't rat infested is Hope Street/upper Hardman Street. No doubt they will be there fucking up that area for people who just want to go out and have good time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Emma Tustin found guilty of torturing and killing her stepson. Just evil beyond belief. This case has really upset me. 

And me. I've seen the headlines but haven't  read up or seen the photos purposely. 

Too upsetting.  Poor little fella.

There is no punishment strong enough in cases like this.

I'd pull the lever myself. Bastards. 

2 hours ago, John102 said:

I remember reading the Dad text the woman to say something like 'Ill take his fucking jaw off'. It proper angered me. Everything i have read since just breaks yours heart. Swerve watching any videos.

Same, I went from calm to full on Daily Male in a heartbeat. I heard the soundbite on the news where them horrible fuckers recorded the little boy saying "nobody loves me". Welling up now thinking about it.

14 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

One of the worst crimes of our lifetime, just horrific. Apparently Covid played a part as it limited their contact with social services. I’m avoiding reading anything about it tomorrow.  

Same, I just don't have the emotional resilience for this. It's too horrible.