You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crime and Punishment

45 minutes ago, John102 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60154444

I have to say, part of you must think you will be given a heroes reception after this. Must be quite the ordeal.

What a decision to have to make.  On the face of it I’d say he’s done the right thing.  She’d been stabbed a few times, the killer had threatened other people trying to help her so the choice is so nothing or do something. Tough bloke and I hope he gets off.  

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Those last 2 posts. WTF is wrong with UK justice system?? 

I don’t think there’s much wrong with what the police have done up until now regarding the car/stabbing case. 

The driver has potentially murdered somebody. He’s put forward a justification for his actions. I’d be more concerned if the police just accepted this at face value. He’s been released on bail while the police probably carry out more investigations to assess the veracity of his claim and to establish if he has/doesn’t have any links to the two deceased people. If his story stacks up, you’d imagine that he wouldn’t face any charges. But, the police still have a duty to investigate all of the circumstances of what happened. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

I don’t think there’s much wrong with what the police have done up until now regarding the car/stabbing case. 

The driver has potentially murdered somebody. He’s put forward a justification for his actions. I’d be more concerned if the police just accepted this at face value. He’s been released on bail while the police probably carry out more investigations to assess the veracity of his claim and to establish if he has/doesn’t have any links to the two deceased people. If his story stacks up, you’d imagine that he wouldn’t face any charges. But, the police still have a duty to investigate all of the circumstances of what happened. 

I think the Cps not the police will make the call on this but on the known facts of the case so far he’s guilty of murder. Deliberately drove his car at somebody intending to hurt them. He may have had a moral motivation for his actions but that’s not a defence. The Cps may say it’s not in the public interest to prosecute but it would be controversial. 

43 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

Fair enough. 

37 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think the Cps not the police will make the call on this but on the known facts of the case so far he’s guilty of murder. Deliberately drove his car at somebody intending to hurt them. He may have had a moral motivation for his actions but that’s not a defence. The Cps may say it’s not in the public interest to prosecute but it would be controversial. 

No he isn’t.  The definition of murder is ‘a the unlawful killing of a reasonable person in being under the King or Queen's peace with malice aforethought express or implied.’

He will say the killing was lawful.  

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

I'd do the same, the fella is a good man in my eyes. If he gets prosecuted, it's fucking disgrace. He has tried to save someone who was being attacked by a twat.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

No he isn’t.  The definition of murder is ‘a the unlawful killing of a reasonable person in being under the King or Queen's peace with malice aforethought express or implied.’

He will say the killing was lawful.  

I don’t think it’s that straight forward. I’m not a lawyer but I understand the grounds for lawful killing are quite limited (doctors, soldiers, armed police, self defence etc). It seems unlikely it would cover a civilian intervening in another crime. Anyway the cps  will decide. Interesting case. 

1 minute ago, Captain Willard said:

I don’t think it’s that straight forward. I’m not a lawyer but I understand the grounds for lawful killing are quite limited (doctors, soldiers, armed police, self defence etc). It seems unlikely it would cover a civilian intervening in another crime. Anyway the cps  will decide. Interesting case. 

Not really, with the exception of soldiers it’s all reasonable force. He’ll argue that the only way to stop him was to knock him over as he’d moved to stab people who’d tried to intervene. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I don’t think it’s that straight forward. I’m bot a lawyer but I understand the grounds for lawful killing are quite limited (doctors, soldiers, armed police, self defence etc). It seems unlikely it would cover a civilian intervening in another crime. Anyway the cps  will decide. Interesting case. 

If your missus was getting attacked and someone ran the attacker over to save her and killed him would you say the same? Or would you see the man as a hero? 

There's a case with similar facts in the US - the amazing "Kai The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker" case.  Check out this unreal interview, caught fresh after the incident.  Smash, smash, suh-mash!

However, Kai later committed another homicide for which he was convicted on a first degree murder charge.

Anyway, this Maida Vale incident has pretty similar facts to the Kai case.

28 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Statutory self defence may apply in these circumstances. Self defence isn’t just limited to protecting yourself. It’s also a possible defence allowing for reasonable force to be used in preventing a crime (see below). But, as you say, the CPS will decide. They might think that both of their prosecution tests may fail - that it’s not in the public interest to prosecute and that there’s not a realistic prospect of a successful conviction, as the bloke is already being labelled as a “hero” etc, views which a jury might replicate. 

Section 3 (1) of the Criminal Law Act 1967 states: "A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

Statutory self defence may apply in these circumstances. Self defence isn’t just limited to protecting yourself. It’s also a possible defence allowing for reasonable force to be used in preventing a crime (see below). But, as you say, the CPS will decide. They might think that both of their prosecution tests may fail - that it’s not in the public interest to prosecute and that there’s not a realistic prospect of a successful conviction, as the bloke is already being labelled as a “hero” etc, views which a jury might replicate. 

Section 3 (1) of the Criminal Law Act 1967 states: "A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large."

Thanks, very interesting. I think the CPS will think there’s no chance of a conviction. 

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

If trying to save an innocent person from being murdered,isnt a defence,I dont know what is?

21 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, 7 years for this. Id have the bastard's swinging on the end of a rope.

The statement by her father is heartbreaking.

A man who left his teenage girlfriend unable to walk or talk after she fell out of a van at 60mph while being kidnapped has been jailed for just seven years. 

Angel Lynn, 19, was found lying seriously injured in the carriageway of the A6 near Loughborough, Leicestershire on September 17, 2020.

She suffered a fractured skull and brain injuries and requires round-the-clock care and is unlikely to ever make a full recovery.

Her boyfriend at the time Chay Bowskill, 20, and his friend Rocco Sansome, 20, both denied kidnapping but were found guilty following a trial on Tuesday. 

Jurors were shown CCTV of the moment Bowskill chased down the teenager when she walked off during an argument before he bundled her into a van.

Footage shows Bowskill grabbing her from behind in a bear hug and carrying her back across the road in the village of Mountsorrel.

Angel then fell out of the vehicle as it was travelling along at 60mph at around 10.45am before she was discovered by members of the public.

Paramedics attended the scene and Angel was taken to hospital but despite intensive medical intervention she remains in hospital with life-changing injuries.

Both men were later arrested after detectives uncovered footage of Angel being forced into the van with Sansome driving it away.

Bowskill was also convicted of coercive and controlling behaviour and perverting the course of justice but was cleared of causing grievous bodily harm.

Prosecutors alleged Bowskill had thrown his partner out of the van but it could not be proved how Angel fell from the vehicle. On Wednesday he was jailed for seven-and-a-half years while Sansome, of Birstall, was sentenced to 21 months in prison at Leicester Crown Court.

Judge Timothy Spencer QC described Bowskill as "vile" and said if it wasn't for the kidnap Angel would not have suffered her "devastating injuries."

He told the defendant his treatment of his girlfriend was "degrading" and she was belittled to the point she must have "felt worthless".

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Yarwood, from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit Major Crime team, said: "Angel is a young woman who had plans and aspirations in place and the rest of her life to look forward to.

"Because of the extent of her injuries she now faces constant medical treatment and round the clock care.

"Her family remain devastated by what has happened and I praise the strength and bravery they have shown and continue to demonstrate to this day.

"No verdict or subsequent sentence can make up for the quality of life this young woman has lost. "I can only hope that in time her family can find some comfort knowing justice has been done."

In a heartbreaking statement issued after the case, Angel's dad, Paddy, said: "Our lives have been changed beyond recognition forever.

"Angel was so full of life and had such a great future ahead of her.

"That future has sadly been taken away from her. "The catastrophic injuries Angel suffered will mean life will never be the same for her or our family.

"Every day is not only a huge struggle for Angel but also a huge struggle for our family and friends.

"We are lucky in some ways as we are a close family, we have lots of lovely friends who help us and people that care in other ways.

"We try to remain strong but we know that every day will be difficult and a struggle for us all especially for Angel.

"I know that Angel will never get married now and I will never get to walk my daughter down the aisle.

"Nikki and I will never be grandparents to Angel's children. We don't know what the future holds for our daughter but we try to put smiles on our faces each day but inside our hearts are bleeding out.

"We'd like to thank all the officers involved in the investigation, our family liaison officers and our barrister, Mr Janes for their support throughout the last 16 months.

"They have all worked so hard and their dedication to Angel's case has been remarkable."

A complaint has been lodged on this with the Attorney General who is now considering whether to refer it to the Court of Appeal to determine if the sentence is unduly lenient. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

A complaint has been lodged on this with the Attorney General who is now considering whether to refer it to the Court of Appeal to determine if the sentence is unduly lenient. 

Yes, I saw that update. But, such a lenient sentence shouldnt have been given in the first instance. In my view.

60 broken bones. How could anybody do any harm to such a cute, harmless little baby? I still firmly believe that the good people in society outweigh the bad, but there are some evil, sub-human fuckers out there. 

I reckon that the Attorney General might be getting asked to look at the sentences in this one too. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/28/amina-faye-johnson-parents-of-baby-who-died-with-60-broken-bones-jailed

6C98E553-49EA-4C13-91A1-3BC30E43670D.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

60 broken bones. How could anybody do any harm to such a cute, harmless little baby? I still firmly believe that the good people in society outweigh the bad, but there are some evil, sub-human fuckers out there. 

I reckon that the Attorney General might be getting asked to look at the sentences in this one too. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/28/amina-faye-johnson-parents-of-baby-who-died-with-60-broken-bones-jailed

The rope. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

Im sorry, I just could not read the reports of this latest tragic incident. Just beyond words.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

Said it the other week

Stuff like this I'm guessing has always gone on,but it does seem to getting more prevalent. 

Evil cunts.