You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hating our own players

Remmie

Not happening that much this season but it continues to surprise me how much our own players are hated by fans, especially those that are injured a lot (I don't think they are happy about the situation either). How do you feel when a hated player scores? Have you changed your mind on someone you hate? I can only remember ever hating one of our players; Nicky Tanner. I was pretty young and I remember hoping he'd get sent off he was such a liability.

• Upvote 3

The players who I grow to dislike are the ones who stay at the club for a long time despite being mediocre. Chief example of that was Mignolet.

Henderson was going down that path a while ago but his level has gone up to the point where there's no way I could dislike him.

47 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The players who I grow to dislike are the ones who stay at the club for a long time despite being mediocre. Chief example of that was Mignolet.

Henderson was going down that path a while ago but his level has gone up to the point where there's no way I could dislike him.

Couldn't hate Mingolet, as shit as he was he was still getting games so I can't blame him for not leaving, I blamed the management/bosses for not upgrading sooner, and once we did he left shortly after. 

I have more of an issue with the malingerers who refuse to leave just so they can steal a wage, it's obvious they will never be good enough but they keep living off the contract they managed to blag when we were desperate and stupid. 

I've never hated any Liverpool player just for being shit. If they genuinely give their best every time they play, and aren't up to it, then fair fucks. Emile Heskey was a prime example of that, for me. He wasn't very good. But he gave a proper effort every match and played wherever he was asked to. He had one great season for us and although he was a symbol of the club losing its way under Houllier in the later years I can't really hold it against him.

The ones I can't fucking stand are the ones who:

- Act like a cunt on the pitch (Diouf, Suarez now he's gone)

- Make the same basic errors all the fucking time despite them being obvious and fixable (Mignolet, Moreno)

- Gob off to the press about how fucking amazing you are and how you've turned a corner, then play like a wanker in the next match (Lovren, Ruddock)

- Come in with a big reputation, clearly have some talent, and then do absolutely fuck all with it (Balotelli, Joe Cole)

- Are unable to maintain a basic level of fitness (Cole again, Ruddock again)

- Make up a shit nickname for themselves and act like they're the bigger than the club (Ince, Ruddock yet again)

Think that about covers it. I know we have YNWA as an important part of the club's culture but I don't think it should apply to players who clearly take the piss out of every fan who watches them play.

• Upvote 4

Hated David James. Thought he was one of the top keepers in the league yet continually fucked up basic things like catching. Would cost us in big games yet laugh his mistakes off then repeat them over and over. 

Hated his attitude and made shit excuses for his form. Not sure whether the Armani modelling story is true but it wouldn't surprise me. 

Also hated Neil Ruddock, just a fat cockney bell end. Should have been in a football factory film.

• Upvote 1

I don't think I've hated any players while they were here, but there have been players that I thought weren't good enough (Diouf, Leonhardsen), players I always thought weren't suited to us (Pennant, Downing, Carroll, Balotelli), and players who turned out not to improve the team in the way I thought they would (Ince).

If I had to pick one, it would be Ince. I believed all that "final piece of the jigsaw" nonsense about how he would bring the midfield steel the team was thought to lack. He fancied himself as a box-to-box midfielder with licence to attack, and while it did bring us a few goals, we were always ridiculously over-exposed in midfield and teams could get at our less-than-watertight defensive unit of James, Babb, Ruddock and Kvarme with ease because Ince was never anywhere near our box to help cut off the threat at source. It was a number of years later when it made sense why Ferguson got rid of the self-styled Guv'nor in the first place.

40 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Grobelaar. James. Mignolet. Paul Stewart. Mark Walters. Dean Saunders. Stewart Downing and these are just off the top of my head. 

Did you hate Grobelaar when he was playing or after he retired?. He always come across as a total knobhead now whenever he's interviewed. Never mind all the match fixing stuff.