You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Naby Keita - Stick or Twist

Dr Nowt

Stick or twist   

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Keep Naby and forego the chance to sign another creative midfielder; he’ll come good
    • Shiny shiny, can’t take the risk of another stop/start season, huge shame though it is
    • I am

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

I didn’t realise he was so young and feel that coming here with a massive price tag on his head could do him more harm than good. However, you’ve obviously seen a lot more of him than I have and I’ll go with what you say. If we brought him, sancho and Werner in this summer hopefully they can take the time to settle in together with having a similar age and background we can ease them into the team later in the season without them having the instant pressure put on them.

We’ve waited decades to be able to strengthen while we’re at the top. Hopefully if we land these 3 they can keep us up there.

I thought he looked like he had the the ball on a string in a YouTube video I saw of him (not that I'd go by a YouTube video of course). He takes the spot-kicks for them as well at 20 so he's probably got a bit about him. Klopp would have to be sure he's got the right character and be convinced of his defensive capabilities before he'd break our transfer record with him, though.

13 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Other than Mbappe is there any other player at sancho’s age whose delivering numbers like he does at that level who suits the way we play. 

With Manè and Mo off to the afcon in the winter, I’d rather we had him to bring in with Werner than rely on Divock and Brewster. 

players like him become cheap over the long term. Better going big once than having to pay £20m plus every summer to plug that gap

therell be enough Deadwood outgoings in the summer to cover his price

I don’t know, I’ve just got a bad feeling about it at the money being talked about. He’s a bit young and far too English for my liking to come in as our record signing and instantly be our top earner. He could easily think to himself, “that’s it, I’ve made it” and drop off. He hasn’t done it over a consistent enough period of time to be a £100m+ and £200k p/w player for me. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I don’t know, I’ve just got a bad feeling about it at the money being talked about. He’s a bit young and far too English for my liking to come in as our record signing and instantly be our top earner. He could easily think to himself, “that’s it, I’ve made it” and drop off. He hasn’t done it over a consistent enough period of time to be a £100m+ and £200k p/w player for me. 

I read today that there’s rumours he didn’t sign that new contract with Dortmund so we might get him cheaper than that. Can’t see him getting £200k anywhere other than Utd and he’d be mad to go there now.

I think Sancho would be brilliant for us but i don't see him coming here if all of Mane, Salah, Firmino and Werner are here.

Even if we sell every other option for the front three he'd still be one of five players for three positions, and arguably fifth choice.

Idon't see him accepting that when he's playing week in week out at Dortmund and I don't see us paying so much money for a player who isn't playing every game.

Would be interesting if he stayed at Dortmund for another year, and Real, Bayern and Barca continued to be "in transition" and were looking to take players off us. Although at that point they'd probably just go for Sancho himself.

He’s been crap for almost 3 years now. True great players play through niggling injuries yet this lads out just as much as Sturridge and Lallana. 

Theres defo talent there but like the other 2 mentioned above. We’ll never get the chance to see it and these players never Improve. Get as much as we

can in the summer and get someone whose gonna play regularly for us.
There’s 3 top players we’re linked with playing in Germany. Surely the way we operate now he can be used as a makeweight.

On current form, I wouldn’t want to go into next season with Ox and Keita as our choices for attacking midfielders.

If you had to pick one of the two to keep as a squad player though, as it stands it would be Ox imo. He’s obviously a big personality within the group and an important part of it off-the-pitch, is homegrown in case that becomes a factor post-Brexit and has a mentality which fits with what Klopp has built here. No coincidence he got a year extension on his contract after the way he responded to a hideous injury. He’s also made more of a consistent impact on the pitch, overall.

Its up to Naby to make himself first choice consistently in my book, we didn’t spend £50m+ and wait a year for him to be a squad man. If he can nail down that slot in the team in the coming months, great. If not, let’s not make the same mistakes we did with Sturridge and keep losing the opportunity to bring in an upgrade in terms of consistent availability and performance level.

• Upvote 2

On 08/03/2020 at 18:29, 3 Stacks said:

Even if Keita stays, midfield definitely needs a look in the summer. Combination of a few being too inconsistent and a few with mileage that is starting to accumulate. 

Inconsistent? With the Club records we’ve beaten this year? If that’s inconsistent, I’ll have some more of that. 

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Anyone know why Naby didnt make the squad for last night? The story from Guinea FA about the death of his cousin in the bus crash was apparently incorrect and although injured, survived.

Something on Twitter saying he had no issues injury wise and that Guinean journalists said they were baffled as to why he wasnt even in the squad.