You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) FA Cup. 3/3/2020 - 19:75

Bjornebye

Basically, opposition finishing has turned from absolutely awful to absolutely amazing. Not to say that 26 wins out of 27 in the league was built like a house of cards on a waterbed, but our win record did not reflect our performances and now the luck has shifted.

Two things stand out the most tonight: The giveaways of possession were absolutely criminal. It's impossible to defend when you give the ball away as much and in the areas of the pitch we did. And secondly, we somehow managed to out-naive Chelsea, the most naive team in the league, by far. Astounding. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Basically, opposition finishing has turned from absolutely awful to absolutely amazing. Not to say that 26 wins out of 27 in the league was built like a house of cards on a waterbed, but our performances did not reflect our win record and now the luck has shifted.

Two things stand out the most tonight: The giveaways of possession were absolutely criminal. It's impossible to defend when you give the ball away as much and in the areas of the pitch we did. And secondly, we somehow managed to out-naive Chelsea, the most naive team in the league, by far. Astounding. 

I dont know. Willian always seems to spawn a goal against us. Who can forget his cross that deceived Mig to earn them a draw at Anfield? I half expect Giroud to score as well because he nearly always does too.

The oppos are getting the luck at both ends of the pitch but more so in front of their own goal. They're packing their box yet every deflection falls for them and is blocked by a desparate lunge, goes wide of the post or straight at the keeper.

Meanwhile at the other end, rebounds or lose balls are falling nicely for the oppos attackers. It's how it rolls when your out of form. If we were at the other end of the table, people would call it as a relegation teams lack of luck.

But the stat you quote is what most are missing. We won numerous games we  would have lost at any other time. Now, the dice is rolling against us. Loss of form comes from many things, mental and physical tiredness, carelessness, lack of concentration.

Im just surprised no one has said we're bottling it. Oh, neville already did that, didnt he?

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

Disappointed but not devastated. Wrapping up the league is the priority, along with beating Atletico. It's another bad result but fuck it, let's bounce back on the weekend.

Yep.

Also, this is a tournament that we’ve generally underachieved in as a club throughout our history. We should really have won it a lot more than we have done when you look at our league and European successes, even before it turned into a reserve players’ shitshow. Willing to give Jurgen another season if he can do a league/European Cup double. 

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

To be honest I always had a feeling we'd hit a bad patch. When you're so far ahead complacency is unfortunately bound to set in and when they happens it's hard to turn form on . Last season we kept going because of how tight it was at the top .

We have played at a mental intensity for 27 League games that is unprecedented in the English top flight.

It's been an intensity double that of any other team.

Think of the all 2-1s and the 1-0s we've had - winning while we've all acknowledged not playing especially well.

And that with a core of around, what, 13 players.

This has been an outrageous achievement, mentally.

The physical break we had was no doubt needed - but the mental break, switching off and now trying to switch back on, is a much more complex thing.

I suspect we might be a lot more spent mentally, than physically - funnily enough, the break might have worked against us on that one.

For the moment, we have hit the wall.  Understandably.

We 99.9% probably win the League - and that's totally fantastic of course - but the exact nature of the rest of the season is uncertain.

Fascinating to see what sort of shape we're in by the time we leave Goodison on Monday week.

Klopp has done his best to get knocked out of this tournament since day one.

Finally a team turned up against us.

Now we get to play Palace in March, lets wrap up this leagueas quickly as possible before the Corona virus fucks this season up.

Staggered by stuff this thread. Good grief. 

Some of our posters have been called "pessimists", "ev supporters", "negative cunts" or worse. Is there really any need? Continually being positive is admirable, but who brought in a rule that says you can't be negative in adversity? And most of what has been said hasn't even been negative. It's a perspective and I believe we're entitled to them. You don't get top superfan points by being eternally positive. Nor should you become the whipping boy for stating how you see it if it's negative. Watford was crap. Most of this game was crap. We've been crap since (I think actually before) the "break". If being crap isn't grounds for alarm bells, what is? 

After Watford, Lovren got slaughtered relentlessly on the match thread, almost total assassination (you'll never walk alone). You could count the posts defending him on no fingers. In the Watford match report @dave uopined that singling-out Lovren was more than a little unjustified. I think I saw* only @Bob Spunkmouse dissent.  I don't recall seeing anyone neg Dave or Bob's very well-argued reply. 

I'm not going back to check but I'm pretty sure @TheDrowningMan and @BeefStroganoff (to name but two) have as much right as anyone else to post what they think. Neither comes across to me as anything other than a Liverpool supporter. But they most often get their opinion battered. It's almost like a mob mentality. Why? Is it because they're not as eloquent as Dave or Bob? Crime of the century. Is it because they're pessimists? Burn the heretics. Disagree with them by all means, but negging them? Really?

*If you didn't read Dave's take on Lovren, there's still time. If you didn't read it because you've not paid your subs, shame on you. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Staggered by stuff this thread. Good grief. 

Some of our posters have been called "pessimists", "ev supporters", "negative cunts" or worse. Is there really any need? Continually being positive is admirable, but who brought in a rule that says you can't be negative in adversity? And most of what has been said hasn't even been negative. It's a perspective and I believe we're entitled to them. You don't get top superfan points by being eternally positive. Nor should you become the whipping boy for stating how you see it if it's negative. Watford was crap. Most of this game was crap. We've been crap since (I think actually before) the "break". If being crap isn't grounds for alarm bells, what is? 

After Watford, Lovren got slaughtered relentlessly on the match thread, almost total assassination (you'll never walk alone). You could count the posts defending him on no fingers. In the Watford match report @dave uopined that singling-out Lovren was more than a little unjustified. I think I saw* only @Bob Spunkmouse dissent.  I don't recall seeing anyone neg Dave or Bob's very well-argued reply. 

I'm not going back to check but I'm pretty sure @TheDrowningMan and @BeefStroganoff (to name but two) have as much right as anyone else to post what they think. Neither comes across to me as anything other than a Liverpool supporter. But they most often get their opinion battered. It's almost like a mob mentality. Why? Is it because they're not as eloquent as Dave or Bob? Crime of the century. Is it because they're pessimists? Burn the heretics. Disagree with them by all means, but negging them? Really?

*If you didn't read Dave's take on Lovren, there's still time. If you didn't read it because you've not paid your subs, shame on you. 

source.gif

Linders said intensity is our identity, recently the opposition has shown more intensity. Forget this game but do we need a new approach, to over simplify it have we be found out, I'm not on about the results but the performances previous to the losses. It just feels like the opposition's game plan is better than ours. It doesn't help when top players are out of form screwing up very basic play.

• Upvote 1

It felt like we were trying to get back to basics.  We were pressing a lot more than we have been.  Chelsea either passed through it or went long.  Van Dijk and Gomez won a lot of balls but the midfield didn’t pick up the second ball.  We had spells where I thought we will score here which is more than can be said for Watford.

I honestly don’t know how Klopp is going to fix it at the moment because it feels like we are in free fall and there’s no obvious answer.  This “we’ve been figured out” stuff is nonsense though.  We’ve been playing against packed defences for years under Klopp.  People forget so quickly but we’ve had a few periods like this where it seems we are running out of ideas.  Klopp tends to just keep doing the same thing until it starts working again.  Bournemouth is the biggest game in years.  I think the leagues won crowd which is about 95% of the fan base to be fair might wake up if we lose that one.

6 hours ago, skaro said:

This makes your homecoming against Palace a long shot possible title-clincher @Michael Winstanley ?

Hopefully we beat Bournemouth and United beat City this weekend.

Yeah, i'm not sure on what we're gonna do at the minute.

This fucking virus has me head bent, as i have the immunity of an auld bastard due to drugs to stop rejection, so getting on planes for 21 hours could be a bit fucking risky, at the hozzy friday so will get some advice from the quack.

This bad run is down to my missus being a fucking jonah, she had promised her match ticket to her 8 year old nephew, and then rescinded the offer about 3 weeks ago. She has now said he can take the ticket again so good times may be around the corner.

9 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yep! The next few league games after Bournemouth are horrible; if we don’t beat them, I’m not sure anyone will be able to look at our remaining fixtures and think four wins are a formality.

This poster got a load of stick for this on here. But he's correct. Winning four games won't be a formality. This is a tough league. It will take hard work. 

After the defeat, some people on this thread took their frustrations out at the team, some took their frustration out on other posters. Its the same thing.