You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

26 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Credible. Bring back the Blair years

Who just so happened to be palatable to the Murdoch press. I wonder why?

Blairs Labour:

Brought in SureStart. Yay.

Opening up NHS to private competition. 

Introducing "Academy" status to schools, essentially privatising education.

Introducing tuition fees. 

Light regulation of banks in run up to 2008. Etc. Etc.

He was electable because the fucking S*n said he was. John Smith would've been twice the leader he was.

I get what you mean: you'd rather Labour than Tory - but what if there's no difference other than better PR?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Blairs Labour:

He was electable because the fucking S*n said he was. John Smith would've been twice the leader he was.

I get what you mean: you'd rather Labour than Tory - but what if there's no difference other than better PR?

Bingo. 

14 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Blairs Labour:

Aye, the Blair years were so horrific to live through.,… You really had to be there to experience just  how bad they were

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Aye, the Blair years were so horrific to live through.,… You really had to be there

I was there. But the way the economy was, they would have been great anyway. What the Blair years were, was a massive wasted opportunity for social and economic reform. Whether or not this was deliberate, I can't say, but I do know a massive majority was wasted. Something the current twats are making hay with, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I was there. But the way the economy was, they would have been great anyway. What the Blair years were, was a massive wasted opportunity for social and economic reform. Whether or not this was deliberate, I can't say, but I do know a massive majority was wasted. Something the current twats are making hay with, that's for sure.

9/11 put paid to any radical reform in this country and any leader would have followed the US into Iraq. That doesn't absolve him from being a cunt though. 

14 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

So the Blair years were all good, apart from Blair who fucked up a wasted opportunity. Cool. What a wanker, if only he was as good as the gimps that followed him.

32 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Blairs Labour:

This is quite far from an accurate representation of New Labour achievements. 

39 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Blairs Labour:

Blair’s achievements would make you cry your lefty eyes out. The golden years

3 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Another day another Tory sex scandal. Apparently this one went around groping men after a few sherbets.

What is it with Tories and sex cases? Can't they keep their grubby hands to themselves?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/30/tory-deputy-chief-whip-resigns-after-embarrassing-myself-and-others

Chris Pincher

Should change his name to Richard.

Howdy is right about the Blair years though.  Illegal wars and stupid PPP funding aside, they were really good.  The economy was booming, minimum wage went up, culture was good, people were happy.

Considering the country was fucked before and now after by the Tories, why the hell do the majority of people still buy the "Conservatives are better for the economy" bullshit?  It wasn't that long ago, how are they not able to make an easy comparison?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Howdy is right about the Blair years though.  Illegal wars and stupid PPP funding aside, they were really good.  The economy was booming, minimum wage went up, culture was good, people were happy.

Considering the country was fucked before and now after by the Tories, why the hell do the majority of people still buy the "Conservatives are better for the economy" bullshit?  It wasn't that long ago, how are they not able to make an easy comparison?

Like I said, 9/11 changed everything, it would have been boss to see how it panned out without the backdrop of the war on terror. 

Give me Blair over any of these cunts. I still think he was a cunt. Not as much of one though. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Like I said, 9/11 changed everything, it would have been boss to see how it panned out without the backdrop of the war on terror. 

Give me Blair over any of these cunts. I still think he was a cunt. Not as much of one though. 

That doesn’t explain the reason people still buy the Tories are better for the economy bullshit though.

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

That doesn’t explain the reason people still buy the Tories are better for the economy bullshit though.

The only people that do are either super rich or thick as pigshit. Capitalism. 

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Labour didn't lose power because of the war, Blair won another election after that. Labour lost because Blair had had Murdock's support and Brown didn't, I reckon it really was as simple as that.

There’s the famous garden party story about when The Digger met Cameron, Brown was also there, and decided there and then Cameron was his man.

Cameron promised deregulation of the press…

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is quite far from an accurate representation of New Labour achievements. 

So Labour didnt do those things? I'm not saying it was all bad (I admittedly left other achievements out for effect), and I'd still prefer that Labour government to the current shower of cunts. But a left / centre left government should have been nowhere near some of those policies. Saddling hospitals with massive pfi obligations for instance. Fuck that.

I can't be arsed with false equivalence either. Criticise Blair = hate Blair = prefer a Tory government. It that seems to be the way debate goes these days though.

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The only people that do are either super rich or thick as pigshit. Capitalism. 

Rather than damn millions of people as thick as pigshit, I'd go with the line from The Jam "Ordinary people don't get time to think; not that it's their fault". That's why you end up with this widespread, persistent and obviously counter-factual idea that Labour are less credible than the fucking Tories.

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Rather than damn millions of people as thick as pigshit, I'd go with the line from The Jam "Ordinary people don't get time to think; not that it's their fault". That's why you end up with this widespread, persistent and obviously counter-factual idea that Labour are less credible than the fucking Tories.

Totally agree. I mean most people in

the UK don’t wake up and log onto

the GF to critique the world’s most pressing issues like beans on a fry up or which Tory is the biggest cunt today before they have a coffee! 

Of course we’d need loads of lefty teachers to educate people on how to use reason and critical thinking and no way are the middle aged children of Thatcher risking the chance of ANY opposition to their economic model. Hence entrepreneurs are encouraged to visit schools while authors and poets are dissuaded. 

15 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Labour did max out the credit card, to be fair.

I stand to be corrected but wasn't the majority of that spending used to bale out the banks?

The crash was bad but would have been catastrophic had Brown not done so.

• Upvote 1