You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolute fucking joke

I fucking despise the word "patriot".

I also agree with one of the comments - what the fuck use is a speaker if they allow a bullshit answer like that. I'd make her stand back up and explain what she means.

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I fucking despise the word "patriot".

I also agree with one of the comments - what the fuck use is a speaker if they allow a bullshit answer like that. I'd make her stand back up and explain what she means.

They have soundbites like that so they don't have to go into detail when asked a difficult question. Even the way she pronounces patriot makes me want to throw myself off the houses of parliament 

Just voted to break international law, diminish our international standing, risk a trade war at a time of serious economic misery, jeopardise the GFA, ruin any prospect of the much lauded American trade deal and access to the subsequent blocs this would open up and they know they'll not be able to get it out in the way it is presented, shameful.

All for a fucking headline.

• Upvote 1

OSCAR WILDE. ‘Let us sing unto the Lord a new song!’ and let that song be that to-day the World has become altogether too wide for mere Patriotism, which, after all, now is only the virtue of small minds.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Just voted to break international law, diminish our international standing, risk a trade war at a time of serious economic misery, jeopardise the GFA, ruin any prospect of the much lauded American trade deal and subsequent access to the subsequent blocs this would open up and they know they'll not be able to get it out in the way it is presented, shameful.

All for a fucking headline.

The same people who applaud "Good old Boris - he got Brexit done" will be cheering this absolute failure to "get Brexit done".

14 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm not sure what's so patriotic about setting fire to the country's dwindling reputation. Perhaps the forum's Tories can advise why Boris's plans for the NIP are okay whilst he isn't?

All a bit mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance with the Tories.

The conservative party is a cancer pure and simple. Each one will stoop to any low, regardless of how it impacts the country, to get ahead. They're an existential enemy within, I honestly don't know how anyone can view them as anything else, at this point.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I'm not sure what's so patriotic about setting fire to the country's dwindling reputation. Perhaps the forum's Tories can advise why Boris's plans for the NIP are okay whilst he isn't?

All a bit mental gymnastics and cognitive dissonance with the Tories.

This won't get through further readings, or The Lords, without significant change, if at all.

It's pantomine and they all know it, so they'll hoist their anti EU credentials for all to see, relatively, safe from actually doing any harm as this, in it's current guise won't pass.

That's the bigger issue, they are willing to play silly cunts whilst the people of the UK genuniely suffer, the absolute shitbirds.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This won't get through further readings, or The Lords, without significant change, if at all.

It's pantomine and they all know it, so they'll hoist their anti EU credentials for all to see, realatively, safe from actually doing any harm as this, in it's current guise won't pass.

That's the bigger issue, they are willing to play silly cunts whilst the people of the UK genuniely suffer, the absolute shitbirds.

You'd hope so but at this stage the party is so far down the rabbit hole you never know what they'd do. 

Proper crackpot stuff whilst asking other nations to respect international law.

Just now, skend04 said:

You'd hope so but at this stage the party is so far down the rabbit hole you never know what they'd do. 

Proper crackpot stuff whilst asking other nations to respect international law.

Yeah, there's a lot of echo chamber logic going on as the whips are telling everyone what they want and need to hear, as Crerar say above.

This is from politco today...

WHIPPED INTO SUBMISSION: Government whips are pretty feeling pleased with themselves after the outcome of last night’s vote on the Northern Ireland Protocol Bill, which passed its second reading by 295 votes to 221 — a majority of 74.

Extraordinarily: Not a single Tory MP voted against it — not Theresa May, who said the bill was “not legal” and would “diminish the standing of the United Kingdom in the eyes of the world” … not Simon Hoare, who accused ministers of “playing fast and loose with our international reputation” and suggested this was all a “muscle flex for a future leadership bid” from Liz Truss … and not Andrew Mitchell, who said it “brazenly breaks a solemn international treaty.”

Instead … 72 Tory MPs abstained (including a number who will have been excused from voting). The abstainers include two former Northern Ireland secretaries — Julian Smith and Karen Bradley … two former attorneys general — Geoffrey Cox and Jeremy Wright … as well as May, a former PM, and Hoare, who chairs the NI select committee. More from POLITICO’s Cristina Gallardo.

Behind the scenes: A Tory MP texted Playbook last night that the rebellion had been whittled down by “a combination of veiled threats about losing the whip, political honors being dangled and an ability for the government to dupe MPs by lying openly about quite a technical bill.” They added that some MPs are reluctant to fall out with Tory leadership contenders who will be in the market for Euroskeptics to promote to Cabinet if they make it to No. 10.

That said: “The result is pretty astounding all the same, given the potential retaliation and impacts on the Good Friday Agreement,” the MP said. “It was originally meant to get the DUP back into Stormont — all pretence on that disappeared today as no commitment was given apart from words.” Liz Truss admitted yesterday that the government had not secured agreement from the DUP to restore power-sharing with Sinn Féin.

Reminder: Hardman (and/or woman) ministers briefed the Times just a couple of weeks ago that the DUP had been told in no uncertain terms it would have re-enter power sharing and appoint a deputy first minister before the U.K. parliament passes the NIP Bill.

Breaking down the numbers: Nikki da Costa, former head of legislative affairs for No. 10 who now advises Flint Global, pulled together some quick calculations for Playbook last night. She counts 23 payrolled MPs on the list of abstentions, some party vice chairs and around eight to 10 Brexiteers who will have been absent for other reasons. “Outright ‘rebels’ are nudging the 40 mark,” she said. “There are few surprises, and it’s clear there’s some discipline, with those who spoke against the bill abstaining rather than voting against. The chief whip will be pleased, but that discipline will also reflect discipline within the rebel camp. Let’s wait and see what amendments they table.”

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's the 13th story down on the beeb.

Was briefly mentioned on N@10 last night, wasn't on the Newsnight running order, coverered fleetingly on Today and isn't really in the main news cycles today.

There is justification for it I s'pose as of now nothing is happening as there's loads more to go through, so that is kind of understandable, but fucking hell this is big news and should take some sort of priority.

The UK gov last night looked to introduce legislation which would break international law and ruin our relationships around the world, but hey-ho...

And so it starts…

Steve Bray, the pro EU campaigner who heckles politicians, you’ll have seen him on the tellybox, has just been told, after years of protesting outside parliament that it is now illegal and he must stop or face arrest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-police-seize-stop-brexit-27346982.amp

This is genuinely shameful and is the start of something very bleak in Blighty…

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

And so it starts…

Steve Bray, the pro EU campaigner who heckles politicians, you’ll have seen him on the tellybox, has just been told, after years of protesting outside parliament that it is now illegal and he must stop or face arrest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-police-seize-stop-brexit-27346982.amp

This is genuinely shameful and is the start of something very bleak in Blighty…

Fucking hell. They simply can not handle being questioned. 

I'll never forget this, and this same fella squared up to Steve Bray when he was calling him out. 

57 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fucking hell. They simply can not handle being questioned. 

I'll never forget this, and this same fella squared up to Steve Bray when he was calling him out. 

Andrea Jenkyns is my MP. Her calling anyone an idiot displays a monumental lack of self awareness.