You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

Badenoch gaining votes. If she picks up a decent chunk of Tugenhart supporters she may well gate crash the final. There’s a real groundswell of support for her amongst the members. These are crazy times in politics, first Trump then Johnson then why not her ?  The old predictable party allegiances where we picked between 2 or 3 middle aged white men based on class and geography are crumbling and voters are becoming far less predictable these days. We could well have a young black female PM in a few weeks. Nobody would have predicted that last year. As a political nerd I think it’s fascinating.  

9 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Badenoch gaining votes. If she picks up a decent chunk of Tugenhart supporters she may well gate crash the final. There’s a real groundswell of support for her amongst the members. These are crazy times in politics, first Trump then Johnson then why not her ?  The old predictable party allegiances where we picked between 2 or 3 middle aged white men based on class and geography are crumbling and voters are becoming far less predictable these days. We could well have a young black female PM in a few weeks. Nobody would have predicted that last year. As a political nerd I think it’s fascinating.  

you forget the Tory members have a vote.  Them voting for a black pm would be a shock

Just now, stringvest said:

you forget the Tory members have a vote.  Them voting for a black pm would be a shock

She’s very popular with the members, that’s what’s so fascinating. If you are a member of the Tory party, you have a lifetime of people calling you racist scum irrespective of your actual views or the fact that the 2021 cabinet was the most diverse (by gender, ethnicity and religion) in the history of Western Europe. A lot of people never see beyond their entrenched tribal cliches. This is what makes her so popular, somebody who doesn’t look anything like a Tory proposing small state, libertarian policies. If she makes the final 2 she will win by a mile. 

1 minute ago, Captain Willard said:

She’s very popular with the members, that’s what’s so fascinating. If you are a member of the Tory party, you have a lifetime of people calling you racist scum irrespective of your actual views or the fact that the 2021 cabinet was the most diverse (by gender, ethnicity and religion) in the history of Western Europe. A lot of people never see beyond their entrenched tribal cliches. This is what makes her so popular, somebody who doesn’t look anything like a Tory proposing small state, libertarian policies. If she makes the final 2 she will win by a mile. 

Can you imagine the S*n and Daily Fail output if there was a black PM? 

It would be an amazing situation if she made it, but I think they'd be unlikely to allow a black PM. 

3 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Can you imagine the S*n and Daily Fail output if there was a black PM? 

It would be an amazing situation if she made it, but I think they'd be unlikely to allow a black PM. 

That’s my point really. The fact that she is even in contention is evidence for the seismic change that is happening in western politics. The days of picking between different white middle aged men with varying degrees of centrist policies to run European countries seem to be over. Women are coming to the fore and sometimes like Le Pen in France or to a much much lesser extent like Badenoch they are coming with policies that are anathema to liberal centrists. You can’t explain her success in terms of Labour are good, tories are evil racists cliches anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think that’s been shown to be either fake or a troll. I don’t think it’s true. 

They've been trending since last night, haven't seen anything saying it's fake? fair few blue ticks tweeting it. Obviously it might well be fake and personally I hope it is. 

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

I find the idea that the Tory party can no longer considered racist,as they have a few people of colour in the front bench, to be faintly ridiculous, taking into account their idea to ship a load of migrants off to Rwanda 

They're really good at this stuff. It's like Cameron introducing gay marriage then wielding a sythe through the benefits system. 

There's scousers in the Tory party but so what? Edwina curry, Dories and McVey are the biggest cunts going, am I supposed to think it's a progressive party with Liverpool people's interests at heart? 

Badenoch would be allowed to rise as long as she does what she's told, but there'll be jokes aplenty behind her back, absolutely no doubt, just like there would if she was working class or gay.

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

I like that we're moving away from the idea that someone can't be racist against a group of people if they have the support of some people from that group. It was always a flawed argument.

"Some of my best friends are black/asian etc etc"

Just now, Hank Moody said:

None of my best friends are black or Asians. Not sure if this makes me racist or not racist. 

Mine neither, but its just the sort of thing people tend to say when they are going to make a sentence that begins "I'm not a racist, but........"

We’re going slightly massively off topic but here is a good article on the Labour Party and their evolving thinking re immigration policy. I’m not clear what their actual policy is re channel crossings (and neither is the author) but they are using the same language of immigrant groups as a problem that require control and exclusion. The main articulated objection to offshore processing seems to be cost not principle and of course the Australian Labour Party have been implementing offshore processing for years. There isn’t the clear blue water of policy differences between the parties that they would have you believe. Maybe I’m wrong and thd Labour Party have a clear policy on channel crossings ? 

https://www.redpepper.org.uk/where-is-the-labour-party-heading-on-immigration/

The cynic in me can't help wondering if it's a deliberate tactic.

That other candidate (can't remember her name)was ranting last week about foreign courts and stopping migrants coming here(despite her own family being migrants)

If this was your average white middle class tory ,it would easy to dismiss as a racist policy but coming from a person of colour, its much harder. 

I think priti has been a bit of a trailblazer.

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Badenoch gaining votes. If she picks up a decent chunk of Tugenhart supporters she may well gate crash the final. 

I thought Tommy Tugger was a "moderate".  I can't see many MPs switching support from him to the most dangerous Fascist candidate.

• Upvote 1