You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Crazy talk from a No 10 staffer on WhattsApp today that Johnson may stand down as leader and enter the contest. Nothing in the rules to stop him as he hasn’t lost a vote of no confidence. He only needs 10 MPs to back him. If he gets to the last 2, the members will elect him. Probably just nonsense being posted after a decent pub lunch in the hot sun but with Johnson you never know, he’s the Tory equivalent of Rasputin. 

Is it the same bunch pushing rumours about Starmer getting fined?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Crazy talk from a No 10 staffer on WhattsApp today that Johnson may stand down as leader and enter the contest. Nothing in the rules to stop him as he hasn’t lost a vote of no confidence. He only needs 10 MPs to back him. If he gets to the last 2, the members will elect him. Probably just nonsense being posted after a decent pub lunch in the hot sun but with Johnson you never know, he’s the Tory equivalent of Rasputin. 

Now you’re just trying to upset me.

Just now, Kevin D said:

Now you’re just trying to upset me.

Well I thought it was just a rumour being pushed by disgruntled Johnson supporters but #reinstate Boris is now trending on Twitter and on the members groups. There is a growing feeling that their views are being ignored by the MPs. Interesting times. 

So in true Tory style, the scheme to try and stop boat crossings is expensive, callously brutal and makes things worse. All this shite for a couple of headlines for the knuckle dragging Brexit mongs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/09/priti-patels-plan-to-end-channel-crossings-in-disarray-as-navy-threatens-to-walk-away

Priti Patel’s plan to end Channel crossings in disarray as Navy threatens to ‘walk away’
Official figures reveal that number of refugees crossing in small boats has doubled since military brought in

The Royal Navy is threatening to “walk away” from Boris Johnson and Priti Patel’s plan to stem the number of boats carrying asylum seekers across the Channel as official data shows how spectacularly the policy has backfired.

Defence chiefs are said to be fed up with trying to enact the prime minister and home secretary’s rapidly imploding plan of using the military to control small boats in the Channel.

Ministry of Defence data shows crossings have close to doubled since the military was given “primacy” over the issue from mid-April compared with the first three months of this year.

Patel and Johnson were warned that deploying the Royal Navy would be likely to increase the number of crossings but ignored expert advice because, according to internal sources, they wanted to appear tough.

One former defence minister told the Observer that their miscalculation had guaranteed the navy was effectively providing an “efficient taxi service” for asylum seekers.

Meanwhile, senior Home Office sources have admitted the UK could receive up to 60,000 people by small boat this year – double last year’s record – with another 20,000 arriving by different routes, undermining the credibility of Patel, who has made reducing crossings her priority.

Patel will be grilled by the home affairs select committee this Wednesday on Channel crossings, the lack of safe, legal passage to the UK and her Rwanda asylum plan. The government has spent significant sums trying to remove asylum seekers to east Africa, but has yet to deport a single person.

Defence chiefs hope Johnson’s resignation is an opportunity to scrap the Channel initiative as it also ties up resources at a time of escalating international security threats. Tobias Ellwood, Conservative chair of the influential defence committee, which has completed a damning inquiry into the use of the military in the Channel, said: “I know the MoD really wants to walk away from this, wants this to conclude. There’ll be less political pressure now. The prime minister is going.”

The former soldier added: “From my personal perspective, I can say this is a complete waste of naval time. The navy is already overstretched.”

John Spellar, the Labour vice-chair of the defence committee and a former defence minister, said the scheme had effectively reduced the navy to a “taxi service”.

Spellar added: “As is now demonstrated, it is not achieving any significant improvement in the situation, but it’s embroiling the military in a task for which they are not suited and which is potentially reputationally damaging.”

Their committee has heard evidence from naval commanders that the use of navy assets would, far from being a deterrent, make the crossing safer and therefore more attractive to small boats.

This Tuesday, the armed forces minister James Heappey will be questioned by the committee over the operation’s predicted and actual lack of operational effectiveness.

His appearance comes after ministers and officials from the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office refused to give evidence to the defence committee’s inquiry. When the Home Office and MoD were asked by the Observer to explain the legal basis for the military’s involvement in the Channel under so-called Operation Isotrope, neither would answer.

It is also understood that the national security council, the main forum for collective discussion of the government’s objectives for national security, was not consulted before Isotrope was announced.

MoD data shows a clear increase in migrants crossing in small boats.

In May, 2,871 migrants were apprehended crossing the Channel by small boat compared with 1,627 in May 2021, a 75% increase. Similarly, during the first three months of 2022, 4,540 people were detected arriving by small boats compared with 7,432 during the last half of April, May and June after the MoD took over.

Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council said the use of the navy had been proved to be futile. He said: “It is also expensive and demonstrates how the government is obsessed with control over both compassion and competence.

“Prime ministers since Churchill have always given people fleeing persecution and bloodshed a fair hearing on UK soil. Using the military to repel them and seeking to expel them to Rwanda is a nasty and brutish response.”

The MoD said: “As part of the government’s efforts to tackle illegal migration, the Ministry of Defence took primacy for the operational response to small-boat migration in the Channel in April.

“The armed forces are supplementing Border Force assets, expertise and experience and providing operational oversight and coordination of maritime operations. This arrangement is likely to remain in place until early 2023.”

The Home Office was asked for comment but declined to respond.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Well I thought it was just a rumour being pushed by disgruntled Johnson supporters but #reinstate Boris is now trending on Twitter and on the members groups. There is a growing feeling that their views are being ignored by the MPs. Interesting times. 

I think that's what he was banking on.

He probally still has got a degree of support amongst the grassroots,just get the mail to frame it as some remainer style plot and hey presto.

I don't think he has got the patience to wait around for 3 or 4 years for some lazerous like come back.

Said it the other day if he was done, he would be out of there like a shot.

45 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Along with #NeverRishi.

10 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think that's what he was banking on.

He probally still has got a degree of support amongst the grassroots,just get the mail to frame it as some remainer style plot and hey presto.

I don't think he has got the patience to wait around for 3 or 4 years for some lazerous like come back.

Said it the other day if he was done, he would be out of there like a shot.

John major did it in 1995. There is precedent. 

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

Number 10 have released a statement in the past hour to say that Johnson has no intention of standing in a leadership election. Not that you’d place that much weight on anything they say though. 

Sam Coates has also tweeted that he thinks Tory party rules would prevent Johnson from standing again. 

I’m not entirely confident that there won’t be a sneaky twist of some sort though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Number 10 have released a statement in the past hour to say that Johnson has no intention of standing in a leadership election. Not that you’d place that much weight on anything they say though. 

Sam Coates has also tweeted that he thinks Tory party rules would prevent Johnson from standing again. 

I’m not entirely confident that there won’t be a sneaky twist of some sort though.

That should be that but you never know with Johnson. 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I thought he didn't quite say that. The rumour had been he would step down on Monday in order to take part in the election. What I read said he wouldn't be stepping down until there was a new leader.

And also, I don't believe he has said at any point he has resigned. He has said he is stepping aside because his fellow MPs want him out. There's loads of wriggle room for this cunt in there. 

3 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

45478D6B-FCBC-478C-B3D7-3541A791BC71.jpeg

• Upvote 1