You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

56 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

You won’t make friends on here saying stuff like that. It’s an awkward fact that up to the resignations this week, the Tory cabinet was the most diverse (ethnicity, gender, religion) senior government team in the entire history of Western Europe. 

It's not an awkward fact at all. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Unfortunately, I think Johnson’s allies are not wrong. He’ll be back and it will be even worse the second time.

It'll be an awful shame if he spends the next few years slagging off his successor and new cabinet, I'd hate to see that happen.

6 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Unfortunately, I think Johnson’s allies are not wrong. He’ll be back and it will be even worse the second time.

If you listen too or the read the stuff coming out of politicians in the rest of Europe then I'd suggest that's unlikely.  The ridicule they openly use against him has to have finished him as a politician.

Hmm, she forgot to mention the gallon of wine she appeared to have drunk before not only gesturing but also chanting at the 'baying mob'.

'I stood up for myself' says MP after gesturing at Downing Street protesters
The minister who was seen shouting and sticking her middle finger up to crowds outside Downing Street earlier this week has said she was “standing up for herself” after receiving death threats.

Footage of Andrea Jenkyns showed her sticking her middle finger up to protesters as she entered Downing Street, and then shouting at them as she left after watching Boris Johnson’s resignation speech on Thursday.

There have been complaints about the newly-appointed education minister’s behaviour from both Labour and Conservative MPs. The chief executive of the Chartered College of Teaching, Dame Alison Peacock, has also written to the Department for Education’s permanent secretary Susan Acland-Hood to say she has fallen short of “high standards of behaviour” expected from ministers.

Jenkyns’ statement, published on Twitter, said: “On Thursday afternoon I went to Downing Street to watch the prime minister’s resignation speech. A baying mob outside the gates were insulting MPs on their way in as is sadly all too common.

“After receiving huge amounts of abuse from some of the people who were there over the years, and I have also had seven death threats in the last 4 years. Two of which have been in recent weeks and are currently being investigated by police, I had received the end of my tether.

“I responded and stood up for myself. Just why should anyone have to put up with this sort of treatment.

“I should have shown more composure but am only human.”

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

He’ll have more on Johnson, as will loads of others, which will be a glorious phase in this particular shitfest.

It's actually a shame, because as much as this is fun, I wish it was 3 weeks before an election.

I still hope it might be a few weeks before an election is called, come to think of it. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

If you listen too or the read the stuff coming out of politicians in the rest of Europe then I'd suggest that's unlikely.  The ridicule they openly use against him has to have finished him as a politician.

If the last fifteen years have taught me anything, it’s that things will only get worse. He’ll be back, I’m certain of it.

Crazy talk from a No 10 staffer on WhattsApp today that Johnson may stand down as leader and enter the contest. Nothing in the rules to stop him as he hasn’t lost a vote of no confidence. He only needs 10 MPs to back him. If he gets to the last 2, the members will elect him. Probably just nonsense being posted after a decent pub lunch in the hot sun but with Johnson you never know, he’s the Tory equivalent of Rasputin.