You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I stand to be corrected but wasn't the majority of that spending used to bale out the banks?

The crash was bad but would have been catastrophic had Brown not done so.

9 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

They didn't though.

The "orgy of public spending" was bailing out the banks.

image.png

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

image.png

How did I miss that one.

12 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Whoever the soft cunt in the Labour government was who left the Tories that note about there being no money left gave them the gun and the bullets. Twat.

Liam Byrne. An idiotic thing to do.

10 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Whoever the soft cunt in the Labour government was who left the Tories that note about there being no money left gave them the gun and the bullets. Twat.

Liam Byrne- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/09/liam-byrne-apology-letter-there-is-no-money-labour-general-election

To be fair, the Tories had spent the previous two years trying to make out that public spending had caused the problem, despite them calling for increased spending before the credit crunch. The note didn't exactly help, but  Labour's timid response and meek acceptance of the Tory/ Lib Dems austerity cuts were far worse. The narrative was allowed to drift from 'should we cut?' to 'what should we cut?'. Still, we got 5p plastic bags, so it wasn't all bad.

4 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

So Labour didnt do those things?

That's not what 'not an accurate portrayal of the New Labour achievements' means. Whilst I accept your points about 'false equivalence' (it wasn't me that said it), you left our quite a lot of things when you said 'opened Sure Start - yay'. Well, you're right, you did miss out a thing or two, which is why I said it's an in accurate portrayal of the New Labour years. What's sad to me is that the New Labour years did more for social projects than any other government, and yet you hear some people refer to Corbyn's opposition as the most successful Labour party in living memory. Was it all good? Fuck no, anybody who has been on the site as long as I have will know how I spent years slagging them - especially Blair - right off. But that doesn't change the fact that they were, by far, the best government of any of our lives. I'd deep throat a donkey cock for a New Labour government right now. 

3 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Labour did max out the credit card, to be fair.

Well, it made me laugh. 

• Upvote 1

Labour have to spend a lot because the Tories always ruin the country's infrastructure. I used to go to the Royal with my nan for her appointments in the 80s and the whole hospital stank of shit and half the light fittings were hanging out, my school roof leaked and had asbestos. 

Dunno where that money went, giving the coppers pay-rises before unleashing them on the miners perhaps. 

You don't realise how much vast sections of our infrastructure are no longer fit for purpose now until you try and use it. Try and get a dentist, no, try and get a GP appointment, no chance, call the coppers after you get burgled - pointless. These aren't exaggerations, they're fact. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That's not what 'not an accurate portrayal of the New Labour achievements' means. Whilst I accept your points about 'false equivalence' (it wasn't me that said it), you left our quite a lot of things when you said 'opened Sure Start - yay'. Well, you're right, you did miss out a thing or two, which is why I said it's an in accurate portrayal of the New Labour years. What's sad to me is that the New Labour years did more for social projects than any other government, and yet you hear some people refer to Corbyn's opposition as the most successful Labour party in living memory. Was it all good? Fuck no, anybody who has been on the site as long as I have will know how I spent years slagging them - especially Blair - right off. But that doesn't change the fact that they were, by far, the best government of any of our lives. I'd deep throat a donkey cock for a New Labour government right now. 

Well, it made me laugh. 

Yeah, sorry, the equivalence thing wasn't aimed at you mate, more a comment on how binary discussions have become. Blair was great for the country, but his party was also responsible for policies that I disagreed with. Both are true, and I resent having to feel like I have to pick a side. Similarly with Corbyn. His policies were incredibly popular with alot of people,but I also think he was a terrible leader of the party.

20 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Yeah, sorry, the equivalence thing wasn't aimed at you mate, more a comment on how binary discussions have become. Blair was great for the country, but his party was also responsible for policies that I disagreed with. Both are true, and I resent having to feel like I have to pick a side. Similarly with Corbyn. His policies were incredibly popular with alot of people,but I also think he was a terrible leader of the party.

Not as popular as the Tory ones, unfortunately. I only ever side with one group, and that's 'not Tory'. They fuck the country up and shift money to their mates and donors. They're literally thieving cunts. 

4 hours ago, redinblack said:

Apparently they just to leave each other bantaesque notes but this one someone got leaked to the papers

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

Liam Byrne- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/09/liam-byrne-apology-letter-there-is-no-money-labour-general-election

To be fair, the Tories had spent the previous two years trying to make out that public spending had caused the problem, despite them calling for increased spending before the credit crunch. The note didn't exactly help, but  Labour's timid response and meek acceptance of the Tory/ Lib Dems austerity cuts were far worse. The narrative was allowed to drift from 'should we cut?' to 'what should we cut?'. Still, we got 5p plastic bags, so it wasn't all bad.

I remember millibamd being in a qt type programme and on being asked why they crashed the economy  instead of saying, well we had to rebuild after the utter devestation caused by Thatcher,we also had to bail out the banks, who helped cause the financial crash,he just meekly accepted they had made mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

I remember millibamd being in a qt type programme and on being asked why they crashed the economy  instead of saying, well we had to rebuild after the utter devestation caused by Thatcher,we also had to bail out the banks, who helped cause the financial crash,he just meekly accepted they had made mistakes. 

It was really pathetic at times. Hearing McDonnell taking it to the Tories after Corbyn was elected leader was electrifying in comparison. I remember thinking, 'you can't say that...', then wondering why on earth not, he's suggesting running the economy for the benefit of everyone, not the tax-dodgers, non-doms and foreign criminal scum the Tories are interested in.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It was really pathetic at times. Hearing McDonnell taking it to the Tories after Corbyn was elected leader was electrifying in comparison. I remember thinking, 'you can't say that...', then wondering why on earth not, he's suggesting running the economy for the benefit of everyone, not the tax-dodgers, non-doms and foreign criminal scum the Tories are interested in.

I think that's why he was so popular when he took over.

He was so different to what had gone before

10 hours ago, redinblack said:

Wasn't that a long running joke that Political parties did when they were handing over to a new regime?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Wasn't that a long running joke that Political parties did when they were handing over to a new regime?

Yep, and I don't think it was never used politically before. Byrne was very naïve though.

ITV news with yet another report on the cost of living and how working families are struggling. The reason why people think the Tories are better with the economy is that there are absolutely no Labour MPs on TV hammering home the message that shit like this ALWAYS happens under Tory governments. Conversely, there was no shortage of Tories queueing up during the financial crisis to blame it all on Labour.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I dont recall that being said at the time, and whilst hindsight is always 20/20 I would hope that a lesson will be learnt and that the fact that the incoming Tories were a gaggle of cunts and you have to be on it at all times with them is remembered, if something can be used against you, it will be.

Longish thread detailing what makes the top boys of the Tory party, and by extension, the English elite, tick. 

Some insight from a book someone posted in a film group on FB called Stop, thief! The commons, enclosures, and
resistance by Peter Linebaugh.

"Atrocities have been practiced upon the English, not by
overseas invaders or by empire builders but by their own
governing elite. It was the domestication of its own
population that went on to provide the blueprint for
England's later colonial adventures."

Chris Wood, "Tresspasser".

"A great song speaks universals about specific
happenings and is relevant at all times. Sometimes we
(Scots and Irish) forget that the first colony of the British
Empire was in fact England."

Dick Gaughan.