You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

28 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is horrendous. The blame game will start now but in my view, the press - especially the right wing press - have played a huge part in the way politicians in general are demonised now. The narrative around 'snouts in the trough', 'traitors', 'saboteurs'. It's enabled the mentalists.

Spot on. Certain sections of the media have been running thinly veiled (and sometimes overt) "enemies of the people" rhetoric for a while now. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think it's about point scoring, it's about asking what's happened in this country that's led TWO politicians being butchered in the space of five years. Stuff like this used to only happen in places like Mexico. It's not just an attack on an individual but on the fabric of our society and hard won freedoms, hard questioned need to be asked. The Jo Cox murder was put down to a 'lone wolf', it can't be brushed under the carpet again. Something is seriously wrong with this country and it needs to be dealt with. 

Yes, I think the majority will be aligned to the approach you suggest. At the right time, that of course is a good thing. 

There will be a minority (see the tweet earlier in the thread from Tony Parsons by way of an example) who will seek to score points. Granted he’s an uber twat, so hopefully he remains part of an insignificantly small number. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

In the Starmer thread Captain Willard got a lot of shit for suggesting things should be toned down a bit.  

I don't know know what gives you the presumption you can claim the moral high ground, you're one of the posters who wanted me dead.

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Spot on. Certain sections of the media have been running thinly veiled (and sometimes overt) "enemies of the people" rhetoric for a while now. 

I’d argue it’s the natural extension of something they’ve been doing even longer than that - they’ve been “othering” the poor, disenfranchised and most vulnerable for decades. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

If you're a Tory MP I could well imagine that some face to face meeting are scary occasions. You know why? Because desperate people can do desperate things and they must be facing thousands of people who's lives are truly shit because of the actions of this government. Events like today will never not be tragic but they will become more common place when you have millions relying on food banks and the JRM types coining it and not paying any taxes.

Very true, also I remember staff giving out 'tory scum' badges at the Tory party conference, cabinet minister Nadine Dorris was wearing one also a BBC reporter asking if 'any tory scum in here?' at an after conference party. The mps and media were hardly acting concerned.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think it's about point scoring, it's about asking what's happened in this country that's led to TWO politicians being butchered in the space of five years. Stuff like this used to only happen in places like Mexico.

We don't even know if the killer was political, or someone who had undergone radicalisation and saw an opportunity to get close to a high profile target, or if this was just a passerby who had lost their mind and saw the poster on the church door that morning and saw a chance to become infamous, etc. 

For all we know the killer had no interest in politics.  I mean, on the face of it, if it's a politically-charged killing then they've picked an odd target, i'm sure most of the country had no idea who David Amess was, he wasn't high-profile by any means.  

Let's see. 

But in the meantime, as has been mentioned already, this may lead to a change in the freedoms we as the public have in face-to-face meetings with MP's in constituency offices.  You could argue in this day and age that MP's should be using Teams or similar to safely meet the public in virtual constituency meetings, which would also save money on them having to travel to and from Westminster for these events.  

I hope that Labour do not field a candidate in the resulting by-election.  When Jo Cox was killed, her by-election was uncontested by the main parties, but there will still far-right candidates including those with links to UKIP, and even after the horrific murder there was still 2,900 cunts in that community who turned-up to vote for someone other than the murdered mother of two who was both shot and stabbed.  In fact, there was only a 20,393 votes cast in an electorate of 80,000 which I found in itself to be particularly callous.  But then it is Yorkshire. 

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We don't even know if the killer was political, or someone who had undergone radicalisation and saw an opportunity to get close to a high profile target, or if this was just a passerby who had lost their mind and saw the poster on the church door that morning and saw a chance to become infamous, etc. 

For all we know the killer had no interest in politics.  I mean, on the face of it, if it's a politically-charged killing then they've picked an odd target, i'm sure most of the country had no idea who David Amess was, he wasn't high-profile by any means.  

Let's see. 

But in the meantime, as has been mentioned already, this may lead to a change in the freedoms we as the public have in face-to-face meetings with MP's in constituency offices.  You could argue in this day and age that MP's should be using Teams or similar to safely meet the public in virtual constituency meetings, which would also save money on them having to travel to and from Westminster for these events.  

I hope that Labour do not field a candidate in the resulting by-election.  When Jo Cox was killed, her by-election was uncontested by the main parties, but there will still far-right candidates including those with links to UKIP, and even after the horrific murder there was still 2,900 cunts in that community who turned-up to vote for someone other than the murdered mother of two who was both shot and stabbed.  In fact, there was only a 20,393 votes cast in an electorate of 80,000 which I found in itself to be particularly callous.  But then it is Yorkshire. 

Agree whole heartedly with this, I hope my party (the Greens) follow suit.

Most news outlets on YouTube closed their comment sections on it except one (I think the Daily Express) and MY GOD it showed why just sometimes turning comments off might be justified!

You had some going "he deserved to die" and "1-1" and "all Tories deserve this" ect and then you had others going "the religion of peace" (?), or "I bet it was a non-British person". 

We are not in a good place. 

24 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Very true, also I remember staff giving out 'tory scum' badges at the Tory party conference, cabinet minister Nadine Dorris was wearing one also a BBC reporter asking if 'any tory scum in here?' at an after conference party. The mps and media were hardly acting concerned.

Should have handed out badges with the full quote; it would be good to see how many of them are proud to be homophobic, racist and misogynistic Etonians.

Screenshot_2021-10-15-16-46-00-37_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Most news outlets on YouTube closed their comment sections on it except one (I think the Daily Express) and MY GOD it showed why just sometimes turning comments off might be justified!

You had some going "he deserved to die" and "1-1" and "all Tories deserve this" ect and then you had others going "the religion of peace" (?), or "I bet it was a non-British person". 

We are not in a good place. 

Trolls mate.

For anyone who wants a more accurate, less desperate point scoring version of events as to why #ToryScum is allegedly trending on Twitter, click on the latest tweets tab and you'll see that a sizable proportion of them are from people indulging in the aforementioned desperate point scoring of trying to blame Rayner for what happened. 

I'm happy to add context to another cheap tweet by one of our resident trolls. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

For the "Tory scum" comment a few weeks ago. I suspect she'll be regretting using language like that right now.

The leader of David Ames party, and prime minister of this country has consistently made far worse comments about members of society and refused to apologise for them, as have the majority of the media outlets that helped him get in to number ten. 

It's an odd reaction to hear that an MP has been stabbed to death and to then try and insinuate that a comment made by a Labour MP is partly to blame. 

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The leader of David Ames party, and prime minister of this country has consistently made far worse comments about members of society and refused to apologise for them, as have the majority of the media outlets that helped him get in to number ten. 

It's an odd reaction to hear that an MP has been stabbed to death and to then try and insinuate that a comment made by a Labour MP is partly to blame. 

I didn't insinuate, imply or otherwise suggest anything of the sort. You need to learn to read, quite frankly.