You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

It's bollocks if Angela Rayner gets all kinds of shit for this awful event. I personally saw nothing wrong with her comments, if you don't want the opposition to call you scum, don't govern like scum.

If she'd said something like 'I'd like some young nutter to go and stab a Tory MP!' we may have something to discuss.

Neg away trolls, neg away.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Relax I was talking more generally of the conservative party which is why I added breaking the rules. Definitely a place of work where you fall upwards.

For us mere mortals, whether joking or serious, we aren't afforded the same protection.

So, no one was threatened, it was a

fucking stupid and insensitive joke. We got there in the end.  

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

In the Starmer thread Captain Willard got a lot of shit for suggesting things should be toned down a bit.  

Just fuck off and have a brew and think before posting again. A bloke's been murdered, leaving family and friends bereaved, and your first reaction is to see if you can use that for some weird attempt at point-scoring against strangers on a fucking forum.

Have some decency.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

It's bollocks if Angela Rayner gets all kinds of shit for this awful event. I personally saw nothing wrong with her comments, if you don't want the opposition to call you scum, don't govern like scum.

If she'd said something like 'I'd like some young nutter to go and stab a Tory MP!' we may have something to discuss.

Neg away trolls, neg away.

I think it was politically stupid as fuck. With that said, the MO of the current Labour Party is to coast along while the governments commits all sorts of horrors and leaves the country in a state unimaginable under Thatcher’s nadir, let alone the relative halcyon days of the lukewarm New Labour project, so a little bit of passion channeled more tactfully would have been very welcome indeed.

Blaming Rayner for this appalling act would, of course, be absurd, but it’s going to happen and Starmer will no doubt lean heavily on her to resign in the coming days.

I know who's to blame. 

The person who did it. Rayner has revealed her true self recently as a bit of a turncoat, careerist politician and I've lost respect for her, but to even begin to blame her for this when we don't know a single thing about the perpetrators motive, background or mental health etc is ridiculous. And a bit sick, when the default reaction to a tragic incident is to rush to use it for political point scoring. 

The Tories can try and blame Rayner and her rhetoric for this attack. But, in doing so, they've also got to accept blame for every attack on an immigrant, ethnic minority, disabled person, poor person etc because of the rhetoric of the likes of Johnson, Patel, Rees-Mogg, IDS etc. 

They can't have it both ways. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think it was politically stupid as fuck. With that said, the MO of the current Labour Party is to coast along while the governments commits all sorts of horrors and leaves the country in a state unimaginable under Thatcher’s nadir, let alone the relative halcyon days of the lukewarm New Labour project, so a little bit of passion channeled more tactfully would have been very welcome indeed.

Blaming Rayner for this appalling act would, of course, be absurd, but it’s going to happen and Starmer will no doubt lean heavily on her to resign in the coming days.

Was it stupid when Nye Bevan called them vermin?

I couldn't give a fuck about the feelings of any politician whatever their hue, and while I'd like to see the Tories on trial for some of their policies, I draw the line at physically attacking them (even though sometimes you could happily give some of them a slap).

This is a heinous episode, but if you're wanting to point fingers, point them at the twat who stabbed David Amess.

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Regardless of who perpetrated this horrendous crime, and why he did it, there is still a need for public figures to dial down the rhetoric.

This is true. I'd say that includes rhetoric not just about politicians from "the other side" but the inflammatory language used against asylum seekers, GPs or whichever bogeyman is trending. The bigger a platform someone has, the more serious their responsibility to be careful about what they say.

• Upvote 1

If the right are going to blame Raynor for one persons act (even assuming, as many already do, that this was a 'left on right' attack) then surely they must accept that a number of right wing commentators, some still prominent and appearing in mainstream media outlets, were to blame for inspiring Anders Breviek, given he actually acknowledged their influence.

This is horrendous. The blame game will start now but in my view, the press - especially the right wing press - have played a huge part in the way politicians in general are demonised now. The narrative around 'snouts in the trough', 'traitors', 'saboteurs'. It's enabled the mentalists.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is horrendous. The blame game will start now but in my view, the press - especially the right wing press - have played a huge part in the way politicians in general are demonised now. The narrative around 'snouts in the trough', 'traitors', saboteurs. It's enabled the mentalists.

Funny, but I'd suggest the media do not highlight issues around 'snouts in the trough' etc enough. The stuff the Good Law Project are looking into hardly gets any media coverage.

It just feels like we live in a broken society and until we manage to heal it's ills, this kind of shit will happen. 

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Funny, but I'd suggest the media do not highlight issues around 'snouts in the trough' etc enough. The stuff the Good Law Project are looking into hardly gets any media coverage.

It just feels like we live in a broken society and until we manage to heal it's ills, this kind of shit will happen. 

There's a subtle difference there between what we're both talking about, but it's a hugely important one.

The stuff you're talking about is about specific acts of actual corruption, named individuals.

The stuff I'm talking about is when the media try to sow distrust in 'the system', and I've always been extremely suspicious as to why. I suspect it's to disenfranchise people from the electoral process. 

Don't you think it's interesting how the Nick Ferraris and the Iain Dales of this world will poo poo criticism of the Robert Jenricks when actual incidents/sums and allegations are made, yet devote whole radio shows to 'MPs' getting pay-rises while the MAN IN THE STREET (which the likes of the Sarah Vines and Julie Hartley Brewers and these fellas have always been so concerned about) are enduring punishing Covid cuts to their livelihoods??!!?

It's the system they rail against, not the Tories, nor individual Tory leaders and MPs, or the Government of the day, but politicians in general. That trickles down to councillors too. If you speak to anyone in that world, they'll tell you how much toxic it's become in the last few years. 

I had a feeling this particularly scary cat was out of the bag when Johnson went to see somewhere that'd been flooded a couple of years back and some random mentalist was calling him a 'traitor' for not doing more about flooding.

Even though the bad blood of Brexit was supposed to be in the rear view, the patter from the Mail and Express was now clearly firmly ensconced in your average barmpot's empty noggin. 

• Upvote 1

Terrible news and truly horrible situation.  Getting to sit face to face with your local MP is a real privilege of democracy and anything that further separates people from their local representative is destructive. MPs won't want to hold surgeries and who could blame them. Its one thing to chat shit on an off topic football forum but christ my brother in law was a normal bloke pre covid and now has gone so deep down a covid conspiracy rabbit hole it's infected his views on almost everything almost all of them an extreme warped version of what they should be . Britain at the minute just feels broken, society feels warped maybe it's always been that way but the Internet puts a microscope on it.

• Upvote 1

It’s natural people will want to discuss, debate and, at some point, apportion accountability.

Human nature, whatever that means. I’m sure I’ll be as guilty as the next person in the coming days.

There’ll also be those seeking to score points and gain some kind of twisted political capital. 

For me, all that matters today is that a man has been murdered whilst attempting to do a job he was elected to do. 

That’s all kinds of sad. For him, for those that loved him, for our democracy. 

I don’t know him. He was a Tory so I doubt we’d have been on the same page about many things. He may well share responsibility for the shit we’re currently in.  There’ll be some judgement on that, somewhere, sometime.

Not today though, not from me anyway. 

6 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

It’s natural people will want to discuss, debate and, at some point, apportion accountability.

Human nature, whatever that means. I’m sure I’ll be as guilty as the next person in the coming days.

There’ll also be those seeking to score points and gain some kind of twisted political capital. 

For me, all that matters today is that a man has been murdered whilst attempting to do a job he was elected to do. 

That’s all kinds of sad. For him, for those that loved him, for our democracy. 

I don’t know him. He was a Tory so I doubt we’d have been on the same page about many things. He may well share responsibility for the shit we’re currently in.  There’ll be some judgement on that, somewhere, sometime.

Not today though, not from me anyway. 

I don't think it's about point scoring, it's about asking what's happened in this country that's led to TWO politicians being butchered in the space of five years. Stuff like this used to only happen in places like Mexico.

It's not just an attack on an individual but on the fabric of our society and hard won freedoms, hard questions need to be asked. The Jo Cox murder was put down to a 'lone wolf', it can't be brushed under the carpet again. Something is seriously wrong with this country and it needs to be addressed. This is not normal.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Terrible news and truly horrible situation.  Getting to sit face to face with your local MP is a real privilege of democracy and anything that further separates people from their local representative is destructive. MPs won't want to hold surgeries and who could blame them. I

If you're a Tory MP I could well imagine that some face to face meeting are scary occasions. You know why? Because desperate people can do desperate things and they must be facing thousands of people who's lives are truly shit because of the actions of this government. Events like today will never not be tragic but they will become more common place when you have millions relying on food banks and the JRM types coining it and not paying any taxes.