You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think it's a form of brainwashing, I honestly do.

They've got most of the media sewn up, unlike in the States where the opposite is probably true for their 'Conservatives'.

It's not just the press but the programming too. Daytime TV mostly revolves around property shows, second home shows etc, interlaced with stuff about bailiffs for the 'scumbags'.

Everyone's got their head up their arse chasing an ideal that's been outlined to them day after day. New build house, car each, job title with 'executive' in the title, kids that sing, dance and do karate - whether they want to or not, and a genetically designed dog. 

It goes beyond being told who to vote for, it's reinforcement of values, the notion that if you've got something, anything, worth having, it's because you're talented and hard working and you therefore now have a god given right to pontificate. If someone doesn't have these things, it's because they don't work and aren't talented.

The 'red wall' thing was made into a big deal at the last election, but it's been coming for years. The most hateful, right wing cunts I've ever met in my life have been 'working class' or 'aspiring middle class'. We've been spiritually re-engineered over the course of decades into being walking, talking products who view their kids as products and their public image as a product.

ZealousUnknownEuropeanpolecat-size_restr

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think it's a form of brainwashing, I honestly do.

They've got most of the media sewn up, unlike in the States where the opposite is probably true for their 'Conservatives'.

It's not just the press but the programming too. Daytime TV mostly revolves around property shows, second home shows etc, interlaced with stuff about bailiffs for the 'scumbags'.

Everyone's got their head up their arse chasing an ideal that's been outlined to them day after day. New build house, car each, job title with 'executive' in the title, kids that sing, dance and do karate - whether they want to or not, and a genetically designed dog. 

It goes beyond being told who to vote for, it's reinforcement of values, the notion that if you've got something, anything, worth having, it's because you're talented and hard working and you therefore now have a god given right to pontificate. If someone doesn't have these things, it's because they don't work and aren't talented.

The 'red wall' thing was made into a big deal at the last election, but it's been coming for years. The most hateful, right wing cunts I've ever met in my life have been 'working class' or 'aspiring middle class'. We've been spiritually re-engineered over the course of decades into being walking, talking products who view their kids as products and their public image as a product.

That's thatcherism pure and simple though isnt it?

Look after no 1 and fuck everyone else.

agree completely about the media.Day after day we are fed this constant narrative.The eu is to blame for everything, anyone on benefits is a scrounger, its simple answers to complex questions and the public almost en masse lap it up.

And the biggest,supposedly most trustworthy media outlet has essentially just become a mouthpiece for them.Johnson yesterday  gave a speech littered with lies,no one will go hungry, (they already have been)wages are going up across the board (another lie)and the bbc just parrot it without an iota of balance.

I know the sales of newspapers have dropped massively but I firmly believe that sort of rhetoric has a massive influence. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

That's thatcherism pure and simple though isnt it?

Look after no 1 and fuck everyone else.

agree completely about the media.Day after day we are fed this constant narrative.The eu is to blame for everything, anyone on benefits is a scrounger, its simple answers to complex questions and the public almost en masse lap it up.

And the biggest,supposedly most trustworthy media outlet has essentially just become a mouthpiece for them.Johnson yesterday  gave a speech littered with lies,no one will go hungry, (they already have been)wages are going up across the board (another lie)and the bbc just parrot it without an iota of balance.

I know the sales of newspapers have dropped massively but I firmly believe that sort of rhetoric has a massive influence. 

It's all online or on phone apps mate. Pure media manipulation. 

7 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Said it before but how any normal working people could even consider voting for that shower of utter cunts is totally baffling to me.

There's been a few times that I've seen a post on Facebook exposing another tory lie or whatever scumbaggery they're currently up to, and the comments usually involve "Yeah that's bad, but imagine how much worse it would be under labour" 

Imagine. So no matter what the tories do, just use your imagination to think of something worse, then treat this fantasy as an outright fact.

Then there's usually a few comments from somebody not voting Labour while they have starmer because he's basically a tory who doesn't support working class people, and a few others about Corbyn the communist wanting to take all of your money and redistribute it to those less well off.

14 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just riffing off this for a moment. I wonder if progressive politics has become something of a luxury. For instance, when I think about people getting on a soap box about poverty, it hardly ever seems to be poor people getting upset, but rather well off people getting upset on their behalf. Same applies to many of the other left-wing causes celebres, which appear to be the exclusive concern of the middle classes.

Middle class love a good cause, problem is they have little experience or understanding of the cause they champion. 

9 hours ago, Aventus said:

There's been a few times that I've seen a post on Facebook exposing another tory lie or whatever scumbaggery they're currently up to, and the comments usually involve "Yeah that's bad, but imagine how much worse it would be under labour" 

Imagine. So no matter what the tories do, just use your imagination to think of something worse, then treat this fantasy as an outright fact.

Then there's usually a few comments from somebody not voting Labour while they have starmer because he's basically a tory who doesn't support working class people, and a few others about Corbyn the communist wanting to take all of your money and redistribute it to those less well off.

Let's section says, its like a form of brainwashing.

There is no critical thought there.

Corbyn was a communist..ok give me 3 Marxist policies he pushed?

Blank look.

It can only be the media.

There is no other explanation .

Paul Scully MP on telly being grave about the problem of having to put an extra 1p on income tax in order to pay for the permanent increase in Universal Credit.

A penny. 

Sign me up for a fiver, let's do better, let's be better.

Fuck it, have twenty quid more off me.  Let's privatise electric and let's make e-transport happen. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Middle class love a good cause, problem is they have little experience or understanding of the cause they champion. 

I’ve long said that to people like Polly Toynbee writing about the less fortunate is like writing an A Level essay. Much handwringing but little will to actually do much if it affects their happy little lives.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I’ve long said that to people like Polly Toynbee writing about the less fortunate is like writing an A Level essay. Much handwringing but little will to actually do much if it affects their happy little lives.

Yeah absolutely and the same applies to nearly anyone working for Novara Media. Backslappers who indulge in 6th form politics and thought experiments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Yeah absolutely and the same applies to nearly anyone working for Novara Media. Backslappers who indulge in 6th form politics and thought experiments.

13 hours ago, Anubis said:

She needs to do a Bruce Wayne, give her coat away and spend some time in a Tibetan prison.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

This is the worst (Tory) government I have ever known in my lifetime. Truly shit, corrupt, incompetent and malevolent. 

Probably no different from previous Tory governments but your point stands , the only difference is that these load of criminals are open and brazen about the blatant corruption and don't care who knows it , albeit with a corrupt tory controlled press to aid it .

4 hours ago, Pete said:

This is the worst (Tory) government I have ever known in my lifetime. Truly shit, corrupt, incompetent and malevolent. 

I think it’s the ‘shit’ and ‘incompetent’ parts of this that make the current mob stand out from their predecessors.

Tory Government’s have always been corrupt, it’s just what they do. Malevolent, ditto. 

I don’t think there has ever been a Government filled with so many useless fuckers though. The regular displays of fuckwitery would be amusing if they didn’t lead to hardship upon hardship for the many. 

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I think it’s the ‘shit’ and ‘incompetent’ parts of this that make the current mob stand out from their predecessors.

Tory Government’s have always been corrupt, it’s just what they do. Malevolent, ditto. 

I don’t think there has ever been a Government filled with so many useless fuckers though. The regular displays of fuckwitery would be amusing if they didn’t lead to hardship upon hardship for the many. 

Not just the shitness and incompetence that is different from the past. Normally there is some kind of philosophy, vision or political conviction alongside the corruption. Thatcher was evil but she did at least believe in something (as horrifying as those beliefs were). This lot don’t even pretend to give a shit about having an underlying political goal

• Upvote 1