You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's bizarre that Liz Truss, as well as doing such a bang-up job of international trade, is Minister for Women & Equalities.

I get the feeling that they never bothered appointing anybody to that post, but when a spin doctor suggested (for the sake of appearances) they probably should, Liz Truss was the last to get "not it".

They had Aitkin lined up for W&E’s after the amount of shit she ate for them on a regular basis, but rumour has that the real boss, Carrie, spiked that and now Aitkin is just sent out to defend the indefensible and humiliate herself for the baying crowds and Carries amusement.

Nice having a functioning democracy. 

‘The Government has ordered NHS trusts to describe any major refurbishments, new wings, and units as “a new hospital” as it seeks to deliver on its pledge to build 48 hospitals by 2030.

The communications “playbook” for the Government’s NHS building programme tells trusts that such building projects “must always be referred to as a new hospital”.

The instructions for communications on the “new hospital programme”, leaked to health title HSJ, also state that trusts should reiterate ministers’ commitment to open “48 new hospitals by the end of the decade”.’

https://inews.co.uk/news/government-orders-nhs-trusts-to-call-hospital-refurbs-new-hospitals-as-it-scrambles-to-hit-2030-build-target-1169978?__twitter_impression=true

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

‘The Government has ordered NHS trusts to describe any major refurbishments, new wings, and units as “a new hospital” as it seeks to deliver on its pledge to build 48 hospitals by 2030.

The communications “playbook” for the Government’s NHS building programme tells trusts that such building projects “must always be referred to as a new hospital”.

The instructions for communications on the “new hospital programme”, leaked to health title HSJ, also state that trusts should reiterate ministers’ commitment to open “48 new hospitals by the end of the decade”.’

https://inews.co.uk/news/government-orders-nhs-trusts-to-call-hospital-refurbs-new-hospitals-as-it-scrambles-to-hit-2030-build-target-1169978?__twitter_impression=true

Like a new signing.

• Upvote 6

Some perspective on the NI hike.

Stolen from the Grun...

Who pays National Insurance?

- Earners (both the employed and self employed) up to the age of 66 earning more than £184 a week (£797 a month).
- Employers (paying their employees more than £170 a week (£737 a month).

Who doesn't pay National Insurance?

- People earning less than £184 a week.
- Employers paying less than £170 a week.
- Anyone over the age of 66.
- Anyone solely in receipt of unearned dividend income, no matter how much.
- Anyone in receipt of unearned interest income, no matter how much.
- Anyone in receipt of unearned rental income (eg, from buy-to-let properties), no matter how much.
- Anyone in receipt of unearned trust fund income (eg, from rich parents, grandparents of other family trusts), no matter how much.
- Anyone in receipt of income transferred from abroad, no matter how much.

I think that about covers it. Please let me know if if got this wrong, or if I missed anyone wealthy off the list.

Who will benefit from changes to the way social care is funded?

- Potentially everyone and anyone.

36 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Some perspective on the NI hike.

Stolen from the Grun...

Who will benefit from changes to the way social care is funded?

- Potentially everyone and anyone.

Really????

People whose earnings are even lower than the threshold for Income Tax will have to pay an extra £200 a year. 

Maybe the Grauniad should have listed the beneficiaries as "everyone and anyone we give a fuck about".

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Really????

People whose earnings are even lower than the threshold for Income Tax will have to pay an extra £200 a year. 

Maybe the Grauniad should have listed the beneficiaries as "everyone and anyone we give a fuck about".

It’s from the comments section.

I think you misjudged the last section it’s saying that the poorest will pay in-spite of it being a benefit  to all and will punish the less well off as always. 

The big irony with social care is that the Tories have crafted a society where family, social and community breakdown is rife, and they're the support networks that would have stepped in in the past to help with things like this (and still do in many other cultures). 

Now all of that needs to be done by the state, but the Tories don't value that either. So you see the problem. 

5 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

So they need to raise National Insurance? 

But but but but what about that £350m a week we are saving by leaving the EU????

Can't believe the  brexit mongs fell for this. 

FB_IMG_1630948101719.jpg

The same 'jobs tax' they railed against in several previous elections. Funny how things like this, the AAA credit rating and national debt/ deficit seem to not matter to them any more.

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

So they need to raise National Insurance? 

But but but but what about that £350m a week we are saving by leaving the EU????

Can't believe the  brexit mongs fell for this. 

FB_IMG_1630948101719.jpg

No one said Brexit would pay for social care, you're inadvertently letting the present government off the hook by lazily pretending so. Adult social care was estimated to be over 20 billion last year. The answer is a progressive taxation system that starts with an overhaul, ie, massive increase in Capital gains and inheritance tax, and that's just for starters.

53 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

No one said Brexit would pay for social care, you're inadvertently letting the present government off the hook by lazily pretending so. Adult social care was estimated to be over 20 billion last year. The answer is a progressive taxation system that starts with an overhaul, ie, massive increase in Capital gains and inheritance tax, and that's just for starters.

Are you lazily pretending that the current enabled by Brexit government has any intention of this? 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

Are you lazily pretending that the current enabled by Brexit government has any intention of this? 

No I'm not, I'm suggesting that if people blame every single problem on the referendum result it gives the current government a free pass as most of the country bar for social media has moved on. The social care problem would be slapping us in the face whatever the result a few years ago.

This Social Care business hasn’t been announced yet but I’m still depressed about it.

Aside from the unfairness and duplicity of it all, it will almost certainly trigger the apathy of the Tory voter who will let this come to pass without much of a squeak. 

I’m not talking about the traditional Tory voters here, this is the former red wall mob who continue to let themselves be played like a blue fiddle. 

Perhaps, I’m wrong and this might be one of a number of policies that start to turn the tanker. I have little faith though. 

27 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

This Social Care business hasn’t been announced yet but I’m still depressed about it.

Aside from the unfairness and duplicity of it all, it will almost certainly trigger the apathy of the Tory voter who will let this come to pass without much of a squeak. 

I’m not talking about the traditional Tory voters here, this is the former red wall mob who continue to let themselves be played like a blue fiddle. 

Perhaps, I’m wrong and this might be one of a number of policies that start to turn the tanker. I have little faith though. 

It it what it is, a true blue Tory tax on the little people to support thier failures, as is too be expected by this absolute shower.

Interestingly polling showed a two to one in favour of a hike in NI, this country is truly being shafted and we are coppering up to buy the lube.

The thing that really sticks in my craw is that none of the cabinet will oppose this as Alex hung the threat of reshuffle over them and not one will jepodise the cosy bubble for principle.

Utterly deviod of any statesman like qualities.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The way it's shaping up, it looks like it could negatively impact everybody but the richest. You'd like to think that it could have the power of the Poll Tax that did for Thatcher, but it won't. People who might be prepared to organise against this are either mired in Labour's fratricidal bullshit or sulking about a referendum from five years ago.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The way it's shaping up, it looks like it could negatively impact everybody but the richest. You'd like to think that it could have the power of the Poll Tax that did for Thatcher, but it won't. People who might be prepared to organise against this are either mired in Labour's fratricidal bullshit or sulking about a referendum from five years ago.

Death by a thousand cuts. The problem is, most of these clowns won’t notice until the last one takes their last drop of blood. 

Big winter for Starmer and Labour coming up, could decide the next election. Tories breaking the triple lock on N Insurance rise, massive cuts to Universal Credit, Furlough scheme ending, add in food and labour shortages and its all gearing up for one thing for her majesty's opposition... time to push all that to one side and spend the next three months talking about the issue on everybody's lips, Jeremy Corbyn and anti semitism.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Is agreeing with Gnasher a symptom of coronavirus? I'm fucked if it is.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, M_B said:

Is agreeing with Gnasher a symptom of coronavirus? I'm fucked if it is.

The problem with inheritance tax, which I agree should be a significant contributor, is that there are so many ways around it that it's barely policeable or taxable at times.

So, currently the latest wheeze is to have houses and estates fully mortaged/remortageged by banks at pathetically low rates, think of it as a handling fee. On death these look like they are debt and as such are not liable to IT, however the family has had a trust set up, non taxable, which will be used to pay off the 'debts' of the estate on death, meaning that all assets are transfered debt free and free of taxable obligation.

Obvioulsly at present only the wealthy how have access to this, but it is becoming more and more common as a way of avoidance.

We need a radical rethink on how tax and taxation works in this country as it is so skewed towards taxing those less well off that it's borderline pathologically cruel, as per the design I s'pose.

We have 1 in 10 people own  at least a second property, not to mention trusts and funds that hoover them up as well, that's around 5,000,000 people who own homes which are assests and income generators that are not their principle homes, but generate very little tax, whilst destroying access to housing, labour markets, local economies and communities. Start here and work backwards with a sliding scale of contributions.